Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens Forum 2013 NFL Draft Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
alfalcone


Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 1403
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
alfalcone wrote:
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/05/01/ravens-assistant-gm-eric-decosta-on-the-ravens-draft/

Yeah, I think this was the podcast that B-Terp was referring to a few pages back.

I read the article but didn't listen to the interview. Did anyone actually listen to it? I wonder if he included some extra tidbits in podcast that wasn't mentioned in this article.

I think one thing that can be sort of inferred from the comment about Elam is that the Terryl Austin connection to Elam must have been a big part of why we favored him over Cyprien. They had each guy rated similarly, so I'm assuming Austin and perhaps Greg Mattison, a former staff member, might have vouched for Elam to really push his value over the top.

Another interesting connection with the staff might be that both Greg Mattison and Terryl Austin coached with Urban Meyer down at Florida. We just selected an Urban Meyer guy in John Simon. I wonder if that connection had anything to do with it- on some level.


Decosta said they liked Elam because he was faster, and because he played against a higher level of competition, and that they had a familiarity with Elam because Austin coached him, and Pees coached his brother. Other key takeaways were that they were trying to get faster on defense, and that they were looking at several in line tight ends and wide receivers in round three, but they were taken before. It sounds like Simon will start at the SAM backer, and they like his speed, and that Juice and Leach will hopefully both be on the roster.
_________________
Really just waiting for Ozzie to draft Karlos Williams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12988
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that WR tidbit was what I thought was missing in the article.

And I think there's no question that Simon is probably going to be our most intriguing pick from this class- in terms of his fit. He's currently playing SAM, but that's our deepest spot. I hope we'll be able to find some creative ways to utilize him.

Juice is a pick that I've really grown on as well. I was high on him before I discovered he was only 6'1"... as he seemed like he could be the ideal versatile blocking TE that we needed, but that was at 6'3" listing. That said, I think using him in that James Casey/Chris Cooley H-back role is a good fit and from that standpoint, I could see him helping out in filling in some for the loss of Boldin. He's a similar height, more athletic, has great hands apparently, and he breaks tackles well to get YAC. His skillset could be a dangerous proposition for defenses to try and stop.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7617
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
Decosta said they liked Elam because he was faster, and because he played against a higher level of competition, and that they had a familiarity with Elam because Austin coached him, and Pees coached his brother. Other key takeaways were that they were trying to get faster on defense, and that they were looking at several in line tight ends and wide receivers in round three, but they were taken before. It sounds like Simon will start at the SAM backer, and they like his speed, and that Juice and Leach will hopefully both be on the roster.


DeCosta didn't allude to anything like that in the interview.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 27630
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
alfalcone wrote:
Decosta said they liked Elam because he was faster, and because he played against a higher level of competition, and that they had a familiarity with Elam because Austin coached him, and Pees coached his brother. Other key takeaways were that they were trying to get faster on defense, and that they were looking at several in line tight ends and wide receivers in round three, but they were taken before. It sounds like Simon will start at the SAM backer, and they like his speed, and that Juice and Leach will hopefully both be on the roster.


DeCosta didn't allude to anything like that in the interview.


Yeah I would be shocked if Dumervil or Upshaw wasn't the starter. Simon to me screams camp body / depth signing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcarey20


Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7259
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Simon to me screams camp body / depth signing


FAR more than a camp body. He'll be mostly a depth player for beginning of his career, but as this past offseason showed, we really can't predict what guys will still be with the team in the coming years. Suggs and Dumervil both have good years ahead but they certainly aren't spring chickens. Would not surprise me one bit if we're looking at Simon as a starter in a few years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7617
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camp body? That's probably not the best description for Simon but he rounds out the depth. With all of the additions to the front seven this offseason it seems like the Ravens might be rotating their players a lot more than we've seen in the past and I would be happy to see that. Suggs' and Ngata's high salaries be damned they're going to be more effective if they get some snaps off during the game. I got off topic a bit but I'm starting to be getting really optimistic about the defense for next season. Just as long as Pees doesn't screw anything up at least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcarey20


Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7259
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cannot wait until this season gets started and we yet again win 10+ games, make the playoffs, and all of the offseasons moves that we were made fun of for come to fruition and we are a success yet again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alfalcone


Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 1403
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
alfalcone wrote:
Decosta said they liked Elam because he was faster, and because he played against a higher level of competition, and that they had a familiarity with Elam because Austin coached him, and Pees coached his brother. Other key takeaways were that they were trying to get faster on defense, and that they were looking at several in line tight ends and wide receivers in round three, but they were taken before. It sounds like Simon will start at the SAM backer, and they like his speed, and that Juice and Leach will hopefully both be on the roster.


DeCosta didn't allude to anything like that in the interview.


I meant start as in start off playing not start as in start the game.
_________________
Really just waiting for Ozzie to draft Karlos Williams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RavensDefense3


Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 1054
Location: Baltimore
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really loved this draft, we honestly don't have ANY weaknesses on defense right now looking at the paper. We should be back to being a top defense again, unless we get injured like last year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7617
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
I meant start as in start off playing not start as in start the game.


Ah, yeah that makes more sense. I'm not sure where else Simon would really fit though (in a base 3-4).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 27630
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensDefense3 wrote:
Really loved this draft, we honestly don't have ANY weaknesses on defense right now looking at the paper. We should be back to being a top defense again, unless we get injured like last year.


Safety depth and ILB talent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcdni


Joined: 12 Nov 2004
Posts: 631
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Really loved this draft, we honestly don't have ANY weaknesses on defense right now looking at the paper. We should be back to being a top defense again, unless we get injured like last year.


Safety depth and ILB talent.


Safeties - Michael Huff, Matt Elam, James Ihedigbo, Christian Thompson, Anthony Levine, Omar Brown and Emanuel Cook.

Plenty of safety depth there IMO.

ILB Talent - Unproven talent is probably the better term. I like the players we have there but they are unproven and we have to find the best combo of ILBs to start.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensDefense3


Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 1054
Location: Baltimore
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdni wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Really loved this draft, we honestly don't have ANY weaknesses on defense right now looking at the paper. We should be back to being a top defense again, unless we get injured like last year.


Safety depth and ILB talent.


Safeties - Michael Huff, Matt Elam, James Ihedigbo, Christian Thompson, Anthony Levine, Omar Brown and Emanuel Cook.

Plenty of safety depth there IMO.

ILB Talent - Unproven talent is probably the better term. I like the players we have there but they are unproven and we have to find the best combo of ILBs to start.



This. We have pretty decent safety depth, when ihedigbo was playing for Pollard, he looked ok.

And yeah, Unproven talent would be a better word, if Arthur Brown plays up to expectations we're going be fine at ILB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcarey20


Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7259
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in which of those young guys is going to establish themselves as the 4th safety. Elam, Huff and Ihedibgo are pretty firmly entrenched as the top 3. Thompson, Brown, Levine and Cook all will have their shot to be that next guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 2291
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdni wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RavensDefense3 wrote:
Really loved this draft, we honestly don't have ANY weaknesses on defense right now looking at the paper. We should be back to being a top defense again, unless we get injured like last year.


Safety depth and ILB talent.


Safeties - Michael Huff, Matt Elam, James Ihedigbo, Christian Thompson, Anthony Levine, Omar Brown and Emanuel Cook.

Plenty of safety depth there IMO.

ILB Talent - Unproven talent is probably the better term. I like the players we have there but they are unproven and we have to find the best combo of ILBs to start.


So much safety depth that I'm going to be annoyed when at least two of those guys don't make it through training camp. I'm betting on it being Levine and Cook.

And at ILB, again the numbers exceed the roster spots. Brown, Bynes, McClain twins, but also Bryan Hall, who I really hope makes the roster after pulling out all the stops to get down to ILB weight over the off-season.

I think the Ravens will be just fine at both positions. My only real worry is corner back, if Webb gets hurt again. We need Jimmy Smith to stay healthy, have a good training camp and pre-season, and be ready to start games.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 33 of 34

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group