Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ark23's Final Bengals Mock (version 2.0)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ark23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: ark23's Final Bengals Mock (version 2.0) Reply with quote

Note that this is NOT what I would do if were the GM of the Bengals, rather what I think Mike Brown, Duke Tobin and Marvin Lewis will decide to do come draft day.

QB: While we went out and signed Josh Johnson and John Skelton, don't think that means we are done with adding backup QB's or players to push Andy Dalton. We have worked out or shown interest in almost every significant QB in this draft, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a QB as early as our fourth round selection (pick 118). At that point it's quite likely Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, E.J. Manuel, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, Tyler Wilson and Matt Scott will be off the board. Zac Dysert and Tyler Bray may be off the board as well, but I think they are very likely selections. Watch out for Alex Carder in the late rounds, he's a guy we have worked out who would fit well into Gruden's west coast attack. A toolsy player with adequate arm strength and velocity, I think he could find a spot in the NFL as a spot starter/high level backup.

RB: Everyone seems to have resigned themselves to the belief that we will be looking for a speed back/third down back, but we have heard from the horses mouth that this team wants to be physical, and wants to improve the running attack. I don't think that necessarily means just adding a third down back or speed back, and I think that could mean drafting two backs. Eddie Lacy is a very likely selection at 21 and Gio Bernard at 37 or 53 would probably be our fallback, we have expressed interest in both.

WR/TE: I know a lot of people think we need to make additions at this position and I tend to agree. But I don't expect it to happen. Gresham and Green are going to be our top two targets next year regardless of who we draft or add in the offseason. Hawkins is a solid gadget/slot joker type wideout and Marvin has been effusive in his praise of Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu, only having good things to say while indicating he expects them to be the future at the position. We have looked at lots of tight ends as well this offseason and I think there is a chance we take one, especially if someone like Travis Kelce falls due to character concerns. It's my feeling the team almost views Gresham as a slot guy and Charles as a move player so adding a true in-line tight end like Kelce or Dion Sims of Michigan State especially if they fall into the latter part of the draft. The one caveot is I think the staff is really high on Tavon Austin. In a space league he is a valuable weapon and could even play third down back for us. No way he makes it to twenty-one, but if he's there he may be in play.

OL: To start with the obvious, right tackle will be addressed sometime within the first four rounds I'd assume. If Fluker is available at pick 21 I think we run it up to the podium, he's a mauling RT from Bama who fits our scheme and can step in day one (or so the staff believes if you ask me) - but this scenario is looking less and less likely. Remember, Anthony Collins can be a capable starter to hold down the fort at RT and maybe the staff is higher on Dennis Roland than we as outsiders are. It certainly isn't the worst thing in the world for us to go with Collins as starter and find a RT to groom like Kyle Long in the third round range, and if Fluker isn't available at 21 that is a possibility. Adding an interior lineman for depth is a strong possibility, we don't have a lot there. But I don't expect a high round IOL. We haven't shown a ton of interest in those guys and I think the staff is confident in Kyle Cook and Trevor Robinson along with the obvious trust in Zeitler + Boling at OG. Mid rounders who are versatile along the IOL make sense however.

DL: Don't rule out picks along the line, especially at DE. Tank Carradine is very much in play at 21 - Dunlap and MJ93 aren't each gonna get big time paydays considering we have to lock up Andy, A.J. and Geno as well in the near future. But I don't think this team is going to draft the way a Green Bay does by looking at future needs, we generally go with the needs based drafting approach - only looking to the upcoming year. With that said adding a long limbed DE like Carradine or say Ziggy Ansah (not that we would get him, he just fits the mold) who can even move to the three tech in nickel situations fits the Zimmer prototype along the line, and I think if guys start to fall it's likely we snap them up. At DT I'm less inclined to believe we take anyone. Geno and Peko are long term solutions and we just drafted Still and Thompson (who basically redshirted) to be the rotational DT's. We have shown interest in Brandon Williams but I think he'll go too high for us to take him and I find it unlikely we invest a high pick in a rookie with basically two rookies coming in at the position next year.

LB: As unfortunate as this is to say, I think that it's very likely we see the Bengals not view LB as a pressing need. With the resigning of Rey Maualuga and the addition of James Harrison I expect Zimmer and company to feel comfortable going into the season with a LB group of Harrison at SAM, Maualuga at MIKE and Burfict at WILL. Adding depth behind those players will be important and I think will be done via the draft, but not earlier than pick 84, maybe pick 53 if we see exceptional value. The one caveot would be someone at the SAM position like Jarvis Jones or Jamie Collins falling - we seem to view the SAM position as a 3-4 rush LB and guys like Jones or Collins could provide great value considering Harrison is only a two year stop gap type solution.

DB: I see no need at corner, where we are loaded with youngsters and veterans alike. Newman, Hall and Jones are proven guys who we can count on and we have Prater, Ghee and Kirkpatrick all talented and ready for a shot at the spotlight right now. While we may be high on Tyrann Mathieu and D.J. Hayden, I find it unlikely we take either. Maybe a late (6-7 round) guy is added to the roster but nothing more than that. Safety however, will be of the first three picks I believe. I don't think we value this position highly as the highest safety taken in the Marvin era was Madieu Williams at pick 56, but we have shown heavy interest in guys like Elam, Vaccaro and Cyprien and as a team that's generally been needs-based drafting, I anticipate us taking a S early in an increasingly pass first league.

MOCK DRAFT
1.21: Eddie Lacy / RB / Alabama
- I think the Bengals top three choices for the selection at twenty-one will be Cyprien, Vaccaro and Fluker in some order. Cyprien and Vaccaro are both players we've worked out and shown heavy interest in, and are interchangable safeties who fit Zimmer's scheme very well. Cyprien especially is a very diverse player who can play a multitude of roles at a high level, and I think he's someone the staff will really like. Fluker may well be the FO's top choice at 21, a mauling right tackle who fits the mantra of getting better in the run game and more physical up front. However I think it's unlikely that the three make it to pick twenty-one. Cyprien will be courted by the Panthers, Rams and maybe even Cowboys before us and I don't think Vaccaro makes it past pick 13 - in fact my guess is he goes #10 to Tennessee. Fluker's stock is rising and with it seeming more and more likely we see the big three OT's go top six or seven (thanks to trade ups) he will be gone, maybe even as high as pick seven if you believe some of the reports. With that in mind I think Lacy will be the top choice. A physical tone setting tailback, we have expressed interest and he brings a downhill, punishing running style that fits well into what we do in the run game while also helping us beat the Steelers and Ravens - something that always weighs heavily into the minds of our staff and front office. His workout may have been underwhelming but I think he goes #28 if he doesn't go here, and with the board likely shaking out as it appears he would be the top choice.

2.37 (from Oakland): Eric Reid / S / LSU
- Well here is where the safety question mark gets addressed. Reid is a player we have shown a lot of interest in and I think he will be valued highly by the staff. It's a little iffy on whether he makes it to 37, but I think he does and since we passed on safety at 21 he's a likely option. Now personally I'm not a fan - I have him as a fourth round pick and not among my top ten safeties but I don't think NFL teams view him as such. He's a big guy with a physical nature who gets downhill quickly filling the alley and is the definition of an enforcer. In the AFC North that's valuable and he compliments Reggie Nelson's skillset pretty well, while also having the experience playing deep single high to play that role for us, important with the interchangable safeties we play with. Had Lacy not gone at 21 I think Gio Bernard is the pick here, and don't rule out Matt Elam either but I think Reid will be the player of choice.
2.53 - Trade Down with Denver for Picks 90, 161 and a 2014 second round pick
John Elway has never been shy moving up draft boards, and with the Broncos in a win now mode because of the closing window of opportunity for Peyton Manning, I think they will be aggressive in their approach to this draft. With Damontre Moore and a falling CB (maybe Johnthan Banks or Blidi Wreh-Wilson) both on the board, Elway tries to add both - forcing him to move up from pick 90 allowing him to select at 53 and 58
3.84: Reid Fragel / OT / Ohio State
- Fragel seems to be someone the Bengals are high on as we have brought him in for a private visit, and he fits the mold at RT. A converted TE, Fragel has the ability to grow into his frame and even put on additional weight to the 308 pound frame he packs currently. Still, he's a road grader in the run game and a tackle who has the potential to even play on the left side down the line. With long arms, good functional strength and a high ceiling I actually think he's someone people underestimate and could go as high as pick 53 if we choose to stay there. Anthony Collins could certainly start year one while Fragel continues to bulk up and learn the position and then Fragel could start at RT, or even LT once Andrew Whitworth's fine career is finished.

3.90 (from Denver): Tyler Bray / QB / Tennessee
- We all know just how high Mike Brown was on Ryan Mallett and I think he will see Mallett incarnate in Bray - only this time Mikey gets his wish. Bray isn't an ideal fit in a timing based WCO like we run, but his natural ability is impossible to deny. A rocket arm, natural arm talent and potential to be a superstar - Bray has a case as the single most naturally gifted passer in this draft class, he simply hasn't shown the work ethic, diagnostic ability or maturity to capitalize on that. He's a vertical QB who could maximize A.J. deep threat skills while potentially maturing into a very good backup, or even starter in place of Andy. Watch out for Landry Jones here too, I think the staff is really high on him and he fits our WCO to a tee. Scouts are higher on him than the general public/media, I believe and he has the arm talent to be a successful NFL QB as well.

4.118: Mike Catapano / DE / Princeton
- I think Catapano will shock when he goes early on day three this upcoming weekend. A long limbed hybrid player, Catapano tore up the Ivy League and then tore up his workouts this offseason timing a 4.75 in the 40 at 271 pounds and putting up a whopping 33 reps on the bench to go with a 37.5'' vertical. We showed interest in Catapano during that workout and we even recently brought him in for a private visit, and come draft day I think we make good on that interest by selecting him. He fits perfectly into the Zimmer mold at defensive end, a bigger player who could even slide to the three tech in nickel packages and a long athletic player who showcases incredible power as a pass rusher and natural talent. If a faller like Sam Montgomery is available I'd never count us out, but I think Catapano will be a Bengal come draft day.

5.156: Jelani Jenkins / LB / Florida
- This may seem incredibly late to draft a coverage linebacker - what I think is our biggest need - but the moves and actions this offseason have only indicated this will be the case, LB will not be a position that we value highly come draft day. Jenkins however is a talented player who had he gone back to school, probably could have been a second rounder in the 2014 NFL draft. A southern kid with all kinds of athletic ability and natural talent who ought to have returned to school is basically our favorite type of player to draft, and Jenkins could come in and contribute right away as a special teamer and nickel linebacker who backed up Burfict at WILL or even Rey at MIKE.

5.161 (from Denver): Dion Sims / TE / Michigan State
- With apologies to Richard Quinn, I think Sims is the physical in-line TE this team seems to be looking for. Personally I actually think Sims is only a mediocre blocker, and very poor for a player with his size and measurables, but I'm not sure scouts feel the same way. Our TE coach ran things at the Michigan State pro day with Sims, and I think if he's here at pick 161 there's a good chance he's a Bengal. With soft hands and a massive 265 pound frame, Sims can fill a role that neither Gresham as more of an oversized wideout, nor Orson Charles, more of a move/joker type hybrid player, can fill. He can play on the line, can be in our jumbo packages (something Gruden uses) and even play as an extra OT in special situations if need be.

6.190: Garrett Gilkey / OL / Chadron State
- Gilkey is a great story, overcoming bullying and adversity to achieve what he has today, but even more than a great story he's a mauling offensive lineman who has a future at guard in the NFL. In a power, between the tackles run game like we use he can thrive and our staff has shown interest in him at the combine and the East/West Shrine Game - If memory serves correctly. In a phone booth he's very good and he held his own at the all-star game circut. I think as a third/fourth OG he can be a valuable addition to the roster.

6.197 (from New England): Kyle Juszczyk / HYBRID / Harvard
- I might be entirely crazy but I think Juszcyk might be the player we target to be our third down back. As strange as it sounds, this does make sense - we used Brian Leonard as our third down back for a while and Juszcyk is a similarly fundamentally sound player. Incredibly versatile, at Harvard he was used at tight end often times - flashing soft hands and impressive change of direction skills. A physical player and punishing blocker, he can pick up blitzes and read some alignments pre-snap and with soft hands and some impressive physical tools (4.71 40, 6.93 3-cone, 37'' vertical, 10'01'' broad jump) he actually would be a more than capable third down back. We brought him in for a visit, and I think this pick - while off the radar - could happen.

7.240 (compensatory): Martel Moore / WR / Northern Illinois
- Moore is one of my favorite sleepers in this draft, a silky smooth wideout who while lacking elite top end speed just finds ways to get open thanks to quick feet, a solid understanding of defenses and underrated route running ability. He can play outside or at flanker and I think he's someone who is dynamic with the ball in their hands making him a dangerous weapon in space. He will find a spot in the NFL and I think he could develop into a solid option out wide. We attended the NIU pro day, and I think we were there to look at Moore.

7.251 (compensatory): Jayson DiManche / OLB / Southern Illinois
- Thevillain turned me onto this guy, and though the name was familiar after some more digging he's an impressive player. An ideal fit for the way we have viewed the SAM position, DiManche is a natural pass rusher with underrated athletic ability. The Bengals have expressed interest and he could learn under James Harrison and play as a situational pass rusher - which is what it appears Zimmer wants out of the SAM position with the additions of guys like Aaron Maybin, Brandon Joiner, Harrison and Dontay Moch.

In UDFA we could target guys like Robbie Rouse, Reggie Dunn and Quincy McDuffie to fill some remaining holes/potential needs.
wrminning

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is I hope this isn't our draft, I give it a D. We would have over reached for our first 4 picks. I don't see a RB worth a 1st round pick, I see Reid going at the end of the 2nd begining of the 3rd. I hate the trade because I see our first four picks as putting us over the top something I don't see this Mock draft doing. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Bray and jenkins picks, but that's about it.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might need another new TV if they take Lacey at 21.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot me if this is our draft. Only pick I like is Jenkins. The rest is bad IMO

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Hokie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason_Bengal won't be the only one who may need a new TV if we take Lacy at 21.

I appreciate the effort you put into this ark, and how you clearly stated this isn't what you'd do, but rather what you think the Bengals will do... but wow. That draft is awful. Just awful. The only picks I halfway like are Reid at 37 and Jenkins in the 5th (and I'm not even that high on Jenkins). That draft is misery.

I'm not a believer in taking a RB in the 1st round unless you're getting a true, game-changing guy (like Richardson or Peterson), so it goes without saying I loathe the Lacy pick. Reid would be okay at 37, I don't care much for the Denver trade (which will amount to a late 2nd rounder in next year's draft), I think Fragel in the 3rd is a reach, and Bray in the 3rd is pointless for this team, IMO. The 4th seems like a reach for Catapano, but admittingly I don't know much about him. Jenkins has potential but has never lived up to his hype. I see no use in taking a TE since we already have three that seem like locks to make the roster, and I know little to nothing about the small school guys you have us taking in the 6th and 7th rounds (they may be good picks for all I know; I just know nothing about them).

This draft would get a D from me at best. I'll be extremely disappointed if it turns out anything like this.
ark23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand everyone's qualms with this draft, in fact I share similar concerns though I'm not nearly as low on Lacy as all of you are (I think he's a first rounder and he's #26 on my big board).

For reference If I was asked to do a mock draft for what I would want the Bengals to do it would be quite different.

1.21: Arthur Brown / LB / K-State
2.37: D.J. Swearinger / S / South Carolina
2.53: Jonathan Franklin / RB / UCLA
4.118: Sean Porter / SAM / Texas A&M
5.156: Corey Fuller / WR / Virginia Tech
6.190: Dennis Johnson / RB / Arkansas
6.197: Travis Bond / OG / UNC
7.240: Mike Edwards / CB/RS / Hawaii
7.251: Alex Carder / QB / Western Michigan
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
I understand everyone's qualms with this draft, in fact I share similar concerns though I'm not nearly as low on Lacy as all of you are (I think he's a first rounder and he's #26 on my big board).

For reference If I was asked to do a mock draft for what I would want the Bengals to do it would be quite different.

1.21: Arthur Brown / LB / K-State
2.37: D.J. Swearinger / S / South Carolina
2.53: Jonathan Franklin / RB / UCLA
4.118: Sean Porter / SAM / Texas A&M
5.156: Corey Fuller / WR / Virginia Tech
6.190: Dennis Johnson / RB / Arkansas
6.197: Travis Bond / OG / UNC
7.240: Mike Edwards / CB/RS / Hawaii
7.251: Alex Carder / QB / Western Michigan

I know we all love Brown, but dont see it at 21. 2-3 is great. Porter and Fuller are ok, but I dont see Fuller adding much to this team. The rest of the draft is ok depth but doesnt wow me.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: