Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kyle Wilson
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rampantjet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Kyle Wilson is a fine #2 corner. He was only a "career nicke/dime back" because he was behind the best CB duo in the league. Champ Bailey might have been playing the nickel spot with those guys on the squad lol.

When he was drafted and for 2 years after that, all the talk was that he was better outside and was having to learn the inside.

He's fine us drafting a CB early is absurd, and will make me really mad.
tinoynk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
I think Kyle Wilson is a fine #2 corner. He was only a "career nicke/dime back" because he was behind the best CB duo in the league. Champ Bailey might have been playing the nickel spot with those guys on the squad lol.

When he was drafted and for 2 years after that, all the talk was that he was better outside and was having to learn the inside.

I was just about to bring this up. I feel like if we dug up threads from 2 years ago the consensus would be that he was better suited for the outside where he could use the sideline, but now somehow he's better suited for the nickel (though it could be true that having been there for a few years he's adjusted to it). But I think we should see what he's got on the outside. I wouldn't hate taking a CB in the middle-late rounds, but taking a safety in rounds 1-3 would similarly help bolster the secondary, and fill a blatant hole. So a relatively early safety and a late corner, and I think our secondary could be back on track, provided of course those picks turn into solid players.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinoynk wrote:
rampantjet wrote:

I was just about to bring this up. I feel like if we dug up threads from 2 years ago the consensus would be that he was better suited for the outside where he could use the sideline, but now somehow he's better suited for the nickel (though it could be true that having been there for a few years he's adjusted to it). But I think we should see what he's got on the outside. I wouldn't hate taking a CB in the middle-late rounds, but taking a safety in rounds 1-3 would similarly help bolster the secondary, and fill a blatant hole. So a relatively early safety and a late corner, and I think our secondary could be back on track, provided of course those picks turn into solid players.

^ This

I think drafting a Safety earlyish will make a way way bigger impact on our secondary than draftign an early CB. Moreover I think drafting 1-2 pass rushers would help our Corner play way more than drafting a corner and hoping he can be a starter in the league that is THAT much better than Wilson.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilson has played well enough to earn a shot on the outside. He was thrown into the fire last year after being groomed into a slot guy. Lets see him with a full offseason to fine tune his outside technique and if he still isn't serviceable enough then in 2014 we can look to upgrade the outside spot moving him back inside.

Still way way worse holes to fill so no a 1st/2nd round CB is not necessity. Give him one more year to prove himself and after this year we'll know.

I agree with everyone else on the cover safety though. A good cover safety over the top will help him greatly.

Props to Mack on the sig
kilahchris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetfuel wrote:
Kyle Wilson is not a starting CB. He is a career nickel/dime back.

First off I would not go by oh he grades out in top 20. I have seen every jet game since 1986 and go by what I have seen on T.V and in real life not by stats. When Kyle first started to play he was burn more than my toast in the morning. Last year he was never really tested because the run D was so bad. This made the jets be number 2 in the league because no one needed to pass because they could run the ball all day. When the did throw to Wilson side they completed the pass a lot. He did tackle them most of the time but the WR was open a lot. Wilson put up a very small fight to stop the WR from his route or even hitting the ball away. He is a career nickel back. Just giving you a heads up that stats do not tell the story.

I disagree a little bit. The Jets run defense got better in the 2nd half as well as the overall defense.

At this point Kyle Wilson is not an ideal cornerback. However I think a good corner can be taken in round 3 or 4.
NJerseypaint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm comfortable with leaving Wilson as our #2. We've seen the defense with great DBs at work, and it didn't take us to a Superbowl. Time to see what a pass rush can do.
richie jets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont the wilson is that good at all, even at nickel being that this is a breaking down so we can rebuild this year i have no problem with letting him start. Dont be fooled by the passing stats the pass defense was helped by playing arizona ,tenese ,and jacksonvill at the end of the year.
kilahchris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What many fail to realize is how important cornerbacks are to Rex Ryan's blitz schemes. Many of them very complicated which requires time for the plays to develop. Having 2 shutdown corners allowed for alot of Ryan's blitz schemes to work.

If we draft Mingo I am certain we will improve our pass rush tremendously but Kyle Wilson is not the guy we need in their in man coverage. CB position should be adressed in the draft. There is a serious lack of depth in that key position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: