Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

keth's ILB eval
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: keth's ILB eval Reply with quote

(yes, I stole this from the OLB thread)

Sio Moore

+ Picks through trash nicely, flows to ball well inside
+ Lined up in a 3-point and rushed from DE position, liked up in 2-point as edge rush OLB, even front OLB, and as ILB.
+ Very versatile, lines up on right and left side from each LB position. Even lined up as a DT a few times
+ Very active hands, extends and sheds pretty well
+ Very Elusive on blitz, quick overhand swim+inside move
+ Pretty good bull rush, extends and locks his arms well and drives his feet, plays nice and low on the bull rush
+ Forcefully takes on blockers inside, ideal SILB. First guy to hole and takes on FB and/or OGs with full intensity and stands his ground or takes them out.
+ Good at contain and read/react. I like this dude

+/- Reads QB in coverage, got caught spying the backfield once but does good job containing his guy.
+/- Good (not great) in space vs. run or pass

- Coverage not a stregnth but he's not a 2-down guy only. Seems better in man coverage vs. TE/FB than dropping into zone.
- Has Dwight Hands of Stone

VERY big fan of his to begin with, this just reinforced it. He's the guy they wanted Lawrence Timmons to be (pass rusher from OLB, run stopper from ILB). Truth be told, if we went UConn in rounds 2 and 3, our defense might just improve nicely

Last edited by kethnaab on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Brown
Really reminiscent of Lawrence Timmons in all aspects

Games watched:
Oregon
Baylor
Oklahoma
WVU

+ Very comfortable dropping into coverage, coordinated and fluid in his movements
+ Very aggressive, very fast, explosive quickness especially on interior blitzes
+ Must stress this point, when he blitzes, he is violent at the point of attack
+ Seems pretty good in both zone and man coverage
+ When he gets visibility of the ball carrier, is very good at maintaining pursuit through the tackle
+ happily makes receivers and TEs pay when they run through his zone
+ can stay with WRs in man coverage fairly well
+ good at avoiding cut blocks

+/- very willing to attack gaps, unfortunately attacks wrong gap frequently and leaves enormous cutback lanes as a result
+/- speed and aggressiveness allow him to really make some highlight reel plays, but he takes himself out of more plays due to overpursuit

- takes poor angles far too often, missing tackles or tackle opportunities too consistently
- shows lack of understanding of blocking schemes, gets caught in traffic constantly
- lacks ball awareness, is a real sap for play action and read option keepers. Ball carrier bumps into him and he shows little realization far too often
- frequently tries to tackle too high, resulting in getting stiff armed away or simply falling off the ball carrier

definitely a "sideline to sideline" guy with great speed and explosiveness. He's so much like Timmons it's almost humorous.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting on Bostic evaluation, would love to see some feedbacks on him!
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Minter

games watched
Alabama
Clemson
Texas A&M
Florida
UW

+ makes TEs pay when they make a catch in his zone
+ very obviously a "field general" type, constantly calling out adjustments to the defense pre-snap
+ decent job fighting off blocks, uses his hands and disengages very well
+ vs. Bama, had to fight off Barrett Jones at the 2nd level all game, did admirably well
+ picks through traffic quite well, willingly engages OL and FBs in filling gaps
+ consistently wins at PoA vs. TEs and FBs, sheds and makes tackle

+/- good instincts in coverage just lacks the speed
+/- shows surprising (but somewhat inconsistent) burst when closing on ball carrier
+/- good "decoy" blitzer, i..e when he blitzes, he'll take someone out but doesn't really have the balance or speed to really pressure the QB

- not quite as sure-handed a tackler as I had remembered
- visibly slow, lacks explosivness, not really "sideline to sideline" guy
- looks coordinated and balanced in coverage, but lacks speed to stay with faster RBs and TEs

fantastic thumper, not sure if he is a 3-down LB, simply lacks the speed to stay with the quicker players on screens, draws, and anything out wide. If Larry Foote was a lot stronger and a bit quicker, he'd be Kevin Minter. Shows a lot of smarts but has athletic limitations.

EDIT - I did a disservice by not emphasizing that Minter comes off blocks as well as just about any ILB I've seen in a few years in college, and good ones. Fought off Barrett Jones and Chance Warmack (and even Cyrus Kouandjio a few times) as they were really dominating LSU's interior and Montgomery, and had room to get to 2nd level. vs. Texas A&M found himself head to head at the 2nd level against OL and does quite well

truly a classic buck ILB. I just wonder if he isn't already maxed out, as he is a very polished prospect and has a limited physical ceiling

Last edited by kethnaab on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Waiting on Bostic evaluation, would love to see some feedbacks on him!

Bostic, Te'o, and Alonso are up next, and then if time, Klein, Greene, Reddick, and Ogletree
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kethy: LOL when I read your Minter description, I was like well the first guy is Timmons, your description of Minter sounds exactly like Foote!!
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
@kethy: LOL when I read your Minter description, I was like well the first guy is Timmons, your description of Minter sounds exactly like Foote!!

yes, except that Minter is a lot stronger and is great at shedding blocks
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

yes, except that Minter is a lot stronger and is great at shedding blocks

A young Farrior perhaps??
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Bostic

games watched
Lousiville
Vandy
OSU (2011)
Louisiana Lafayette

+ uses swim and rip to disengage from blockers at the 2nd level (interesting and effective)
+ hits everything, and "they stay hit" (ahem....)
+ fills gap vs. FBs, OGs, TEs and always seems to be the one who initiates contact
+ sideline to sideline speed
+ somewhat similar to Sio Moore in that he has fairly impressive pass rush moves (rip, swim) on blitz, but wasn't used to blitz very often
+ avoids and recovers from cut blocks rather well

+/- comfortable in coverage but not particularly instinctive
+/- violent, absolutely violent, gotta play with full control or he'll be the next Stilerz $50k fine guy
+/- periodic false steps, good makeup speed generally allows him to recover
+/- shows strength to ragdoll OL but sometimes is slow to disengage against inferior blocking
+/- honestly might like contact a bit too much, is so willing to take on the blocker he sometimes takes himself out of play (think Darius Kasparaitis for you ole-school hockey fans)

- takes somewhat poor angles at time, not as bad as Brown by any stretch though
- less than ideal ball awareness, sometimes takes on blocker and forgets to shed as ballcarrier zips past him
- Not particularly instinctive in coverage, though has speed and quicks to make it happen with coaching

very unpolished. Natural aggressiveness and speed aren't coachable, so he has a high ceiling. Technical aspects that he needs work on (consistent hand use to shed, reading offense, coverage) are coachable. His tendency to purposely initiate contact even when it's not necessary is something that will work fine for us, as 94 will be cleaning up the mess anyway
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Bostic would be one helluva project, huh?
mosteelers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:

When I watched him remind me of Kendril Bell. Almost out of control in a good way. Like him much better than Klein.

Sig courtesy of miafins23 Thanks
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosteelers wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

When I watched him remind me of Kendril Bell. Almost out of control in a good way. Like him much better than Klein.

Good call on kendrell bell, Mo

And yes gatoradus he is quite the prospect. Minter is the better guy now and the next 2 years but Bostic has a higher ceiling
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will get to other guys once I get home
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kethy: Who is the better fit for our team?? Sounds like you'd pick Bostic in 3rd over Minter in 2nd right??
Bobikus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a tough choice there, but I think I'd go with Bostic in the 3rd since Foote seems likely to start either way in 2013.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: