Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 OTA'S/Minicamp/Training Camp Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 60, 61, 62  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@jwyattsports 9m
No sign of Mariani, Gooden and Quinn Johnson, Sammie Hill either #Titans

Such an unfortunate injury for Gooden. Would've had a great opportunity to take a ton of reps with the starters.

Quote:
@jwyattsports 13m
No sign of Greene, Britt and Wright on practice field for #Titans

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 0 receptions, 0 yards, 0 touchdowns
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@PaulKuharskyNFL 7m
Colin McCarthy just talked about Thursday night as an audition. Wants to prove himself, I understand. Not at risk of being cut. #Titans

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“@terrymc13: Munchak said #Titans will decide in next couple of days on starters at center and right cornerback.”

Quote:
“@glennonsports: Munchak still undecided on whether Walker will play Thur. Walker wants to play.”

Quote:
“@jwyattsports: Pitoitua won't play this week for #Titans”

Quote:
“@terrymc13: Munchak says Darius Reynaud is front runner to be returner”

Quote:
“@jwyattsports: Munchak said Rusty Smith will get the most snaps at QB vs. Vikings #Titans”

Quote:
“@terrymc13: Kenny Britt getting a day off. Probably will have to be rested a day nearly every week, says Munchak”

Quote:
“@glennonsports: McCarthy still likely to play half on Thur”

Quote:
“@terrymc13: Shonn Greene iffy for Thursday after not practicing Monday.”

Quote:
“@glennonsports: Quinn Johnson likely to miss another preseason game but still likely to be the FB this yr”

Quote:
“@terrymc13: Munchak says Collin Mooney has played well filling in at FB and is in conversation for spot on 53”

Dionysus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not just our team, so I'm really just speaking out of frustration here. But why is it that so many of our key guys are hurting so bad? They're hurting to the point to where they missed a lot of TC and preseason time. Are we running them too hard, or is it poor conditioning in some cases? I really wanted to see a couple of guys like Gooden, Walker, and Mariani (in the offense).

It's kinda good the Greene might sit out for this game because I really want to see Jackie Battle get more carries with the 1st/2nd team. And I'm glad Rusty will be getting more reps this week. I think it's really time for him to compete for the backup job IMO.

titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
I know it's not just our team, so I'm really just speaking out of frustration here. But why is it that so many of our key guys are hurting so bad? They're hurting to the point to where they missed a lot of TC and preseason time. Are we running them too hard, or is it poor conditioning in some cases? I really wanted to see a couple of guys like Gooden, Walker, and Mariani (in the offense).

It's kinda good the Greene might sit out for this game because I really want to see Jackie Battle get more carries with the 1st/2nd team. And I'm glad Rusty will be getting more reps this week. I think it's really time for him to compete for the backup job IMO.
Part of it, I'm sure, is that we're just being careful with some of our guys simply because we know we'll need them over the next four months.

Honestly, while it sucks that we've had so many starters miss multiple practices, we've actually been pretty lucky thus far. It's very possible we head into Week 1 with all 22 of our starters active and ready to play.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
2. Brian Schwenke, C.

Last edited by titans0021 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Dionysus wrote:

Part of it, I'm sure, is that we're just being careful with some of our guys simply because we know we'll need them over the next four months.

Honestly, while it sucks that we've had so many starters miss multiple practices, we've actually been pretty lucky this far. It's very possible we head into Week 1 with all 22 of our starters active and ready to play.

Agreed. We've had our fair share of scares, but in the end we have been lucky so far.

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR
2) Sammie Hill NT
lamont

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2013/08/27/gray-titans-may-alternate-starters-at-cb/

Gray says they may alternate Verner & Campbell during the season based on that week's matchups. If that is the case, I don't see Verner in Tennessee for the long haul. They just resigned McCourty last offseason. I think they will go with Wilson or Sensabaugh outside next year opposite Mac if Campbell cannot take the spot this season at some point.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig

Last edited by lamont on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verner is going to be a Bear next season

#youhearditherefirst

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
Dionysus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamont wrote:
http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2013/08/27/gray-titans-may-alternate-starters-at-cb/

Gray says they may alternate Verner & Campbell during the season based on that week's matchups. If that is the case, I don't see Verner in Tennessee for the long haul. They just resigned McCourty last offseason. I think they will go with Wilson or Sensabaugh outside next year opposite Mac if Campbell cannot take the spot this season at some point.

In this case, if Sensabaugh is kicked to the outside and can hold the #2 spot, then it would only make too much sense to let Verner take over the NB spot and BWW can be the backup for either outside position. The way I see it, Tommy Campbell should be the odd man out if he can't win the starting job instead of Verner.
lamont

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
lamont wrote:

In this case, if Sensabaugh is kicked to the outside and can hold the #2 spot, then it would only make too much sense to let Verner take over the NB spot and BWW can be the backup for either outside position. The way I see it, Tommy Campbell should be the odd man out if he can't win the starting job instead of Verner.

The have been trying to replace Verner for 2 years. They have a big contract at one CB spot (McCourty), they will not pay Verner another big contract. That is too much cap money locked up in the secondary, with McCourty, #33 & possibly Verner. They will have a young guy play that CB spot opposite Mac for a year or two. Verner is good as gone and Campbell too if he doesn't take the spot this year. You do not give a big contract to a player (verner) that you are going to split his snaps with another guy (campbell) during his (verner)contract year. I hear what you are saying, but it is obivious that Verner is gone.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamont wrote:
Dionysus wrote:
lamont wrote:

The have been trying to replace Verner for 2 years. They have a big contract at one CB spot (McCourty), they will not pay Verner another big contract. That is too much cap money locked up in the secondary, with McCourty, #33 & possibly Verner. They will have a young guy play that CB spot opposite Mac for a year or two. Verner is good as gone and Campbell too if he doesn't take the spot this year. You do not give a big contract to a player (verner) that you are going to split his snaps with another guy (campbell) during his (verner)contract year. I hear what you are saying, but it is obivious that Verner is gone.

I'd agree with you D, but Lamont is right... Verner will not be coming back to the Titans next year. I don't think he'll be getting a super rich contract next year, but a Cover 2 team will find him more valuable than we do, and will offer him more than the team would be comfortable with, considering other players and needs on the roster.

Campbell is still under contract next year at minimum, which is why I think the team has given every chance to win that job. Sensebaugh is just as cheap as Campbell, and is locked up through '15. And Wilson is just a rookie.

If none of those guys pan out, and depending how well the team does this year overall, the Titans may look at a #2 in FA that is more suitable to the scheme they're trying to play. If we're no good... they'll probably just take another mid round guy and trot the best ones out there at #2CB and NB...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Verner has done anything to lose the job other than not have the physical tools they want. He has produced in my opinion.

Shame if they get rid of him.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verner is among the best zone CBs in the league.

Just isn't much better than average, if that, in man.

#1CB Jason McCourty
2014 Stats - ----
LT Michael Roos
2014 Stats - ----
Dionysus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand if it's a big money thing and he's expected to make more than what we'll be using him for and all that. My thing is, I think Verner can do a lot more for our secondary than what we're seemingly giving him credit for. Like KT said, he really didn't do anything to lose his job, outside of some physical limitations they're looking for to play outside. While not being an elite CB, he's done a very respectable job holding the #2 spot.

But IMO we're not using him the way we should be. We're completely underutilizing his skills by keeping him at #2, and that's not his fault. He's a better read-and-react player who could move around and do more from the NB or FS spot. I've said this before, I'd let Griffin go before I let Verner go. On the business side let's be honest, Griffin hasn't shown me anything that truly justifies paying him $7 million a year. And if he doesn't show it this year, I'd look to trade or release him (if it's not too costly) in favor of trying to hang on to Verner. Honestly, I can't see him costing that much to keep, when compared to Griffin. And even if it does cost that much, I think he'll pay way better dividends than Griff ever did. And how long will Pollard and/or Wilson be around? (I really like Wilson though). I know my view on this is pretty pointless because I'm not in any part of the FO, but I'd really hate to see a player like Verner, with his instincts and ability, walk out the door because, once again, we didn't know how to use him. And even worse, we keep getting stuck hanging on to deadwood players who for some reason can't get it together and develop into anything useful. I'll just stop right here because I see that I'm starting to rant about this.

ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
I understand if it's a big money thing and he's expected to make more than what we'll be using him for and all that. My thing is, I think Verner can do a lot more for our secondary than what we're seemingly giving him credit for. Like KT said, he really didn't do anything to lose his job, outside of some physical limitations they're looking for to play outside. While not being an elite CB, he's done a very respectable job holding the #2 spot.

But IMO we're not using him the way we should be. We're completely underutilizing his skills by keeping him at #2, and that's not his fault. He's a better read-and-react player who could move around and do more from the NB or FS spot. I've said this before, I'd let Griffin go before I let Verner go. On the business side let's be honest, Griffin hasn't shown me anything that truly justifies paying him $7 million a year. And if he doesn't show it this year, I'd look to trade or release him (if it's not too costly) in favor of trying to hang on to Verner. Honestly, I can't see him costing that much to keep, when compared to Griffin. And even if it does cost that much, I think he'll pay way better dividends than Griff ever did. And how long will Pollard and/or Wilson be around? (I really like Wilson though). I know my view on this is pretty pointless because I'm not in any part of the FO, but I'd really hate to see a player like Verner, with his instincts and ability, walk out the door because, once again, we didn't know how to use him. And even worse, we keep getting stuck hanging on to deadwood players who for some reason can't get it together and develop into anything useful. I'll just stop right here because I see that I'm starting to rant about this.

There are a lot of assumptions to take that leap.

We think Verner could be a better FS (and I agree that he could be a good FS). But we don't know. I always refer back to this, and it may be old and tired... but it always hold true. We thought Lamont would be a huge upgrade over Schulters not too long ago... then he got the full time shot.

Verner may be a good FS... Verner may play better on the inside as a press NB instead of on the outside. The problems is everything we've seen from Verner says that while he's been a good zone CB, he lacks in man coverage due to some physical limitations (not big enough and not fast enough).

Now, the way Griff's contract was structured almost guaranteed he'd stay on the roster through this season (the Titans would have taken an additional 2M hit on this year's cap by resuming the prorated portion of his SB, had they cut him this year). Even next year, as he takes a big jump in salary (close to $2M) and projects as an 8M cap hit... cutting him would still cost a shade under 5.5M in its own right (3 years of remaining prorated SB at just under 2M/year)... meaning a minimal bottom line relief number of 2.5M.

Going back to Verner, its not about not knowing how to use him... its about the defensive scheme going in a different direction that he's best tailored for the team. He's a good player, but he's not a core player, and I prefer the D gear itself to play to those players' strengths. The core of that D is Ayers, Brown, Morgan, Casey, and McCourty and Griffin (the last 2, based on their salaries). If the coaches feel the core dictates a more aggressive almost 46 D style of play with outside bump coverage... then so be it. I trust Williams for what he did here during our glory days, and for doing enough in NOLA to help them win a championship in spite of the obvious defensive talent limitations on that team.

Nobody loves the underdog player who plays above his skill level from sheer will and determination more than Williams does (Bishop was the catalyst behind Williams old Titans D's). I trust his final decision next year... and at least Verner is going to make a full year audition (he still is the leading candidate to start as the #2, isn't he? ... and/or maybe down the line, he also gets some real game PT at FS...)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 61 of 62

Jump to: