Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 OTA'S/Minicamp/Training Camp Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 60, 61, 62  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
Hunter was never a problem in spring practice or the like in college. I'd let him get healthy and attend TC before you start forming an opinion, one way or the other.

I know how easy it is to get caught up on OTA news, but we have to realize it means almost nothing in the long run. If it's a problem in TC and in to pre-season, that's when you start worrying.

Its not just about him though... although he's not helping himself by upsetting the coaches. If a veteran who's been there, done that misses a few OTA's... its not a big deal. It's just OTA's. But if its a rookie, its slightly more significant.

But like I said, its not just about him. I don't see how he cracks the lineup enough his rookie season to make any sort of impact. There are 5 skill positions... and CJ (or Shonn) will take up one of those spots just about every snap... leaving 4. You have a seemingly dedicated Britt at 1... playing for a new contract. Then you have Washington, who I've always liked. He brings a toughness and leadership that few others on the team has shown recently. Wright will also get heavy minutes... leaving 1 spot open plus rotation duty for Stevens, Walker, Thompson, Quinn, DWill, Hunter, and Walter all vying for those snaps.

Its a numbers game... and if this offense goes as run heavy as it sounds it may, there just won't be many balls to go around for a 4th/5th WR... Of course, an injury to one of the top 3 WRs changes things (and given Britt's history, not a far fetched proposition)... but first he has to place himself above DWill and Walter in the pecking order.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the best man win!

We know what those others guys can do. We haven't seen Hunter as a pro. If he can do anything similar to his college days, he is already ahead of Williams and Walter.

If Hunter can't see the field that hopefully means the other guys are doing a good job. Win-Win in a way...
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not worried if i remember correctly Britt had injury issues when we first got him up to the point where he didnt even play in the H.O.F game that year. Then week 1 was our leading WR i think against Pitt so im not worried

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shaun Phillips:

Ropati Pitoitua:
lamont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@jwyattsports Bernard Pollard's goals for 2013 #Titans: “Our goal is the Super Bowl,'' Pollard said, "and our mission is to kill."

Shocked Laughing

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
lamont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@jwyattsports The #Titans have agreed to terms with CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson, sources say. He's expected to sign today

Quote:
@jwyattsports The deal with Wreh-Wilson, the team's third round pick, is a four-year deal. Only 1st round pick Chance Warmack remains unsigned #tntitans

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“@jwyattsports: The #Titans have agreed to terms with free agent tackle Barry Richardson, who worked out for the team recently.”

With Roos and Stewart being out so much, we needed the depth.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Let the best man win!

We know what those others guys can do. We haven't seen Hunter as a pro. If he can do anything similar to his college days, he is already ahead of Williams and Walter.

If Hunter can't see the field that hopefully means the other guys are doing a good job. Win-Win in a way...

Oh heck yeah... I think people misinterpreted my posts as anti Hunter. It has more to do with the depth at the skill positions than it does Hunter himself. I guess he could possibly beat Washington out... but that's not a given. Washington is better than people give him credit for around here. I wish his toughness and leadership rubbed off on the rest of the unit.

So I don't see Hunter as much more than a 4th WR this year... on a team that looks to be building itself on a run first team. That just doesn't bode well for the rookie. I don't know how quickly he'll learn the playbook, timing, and get a feel for Jake himself... but he's definitely not helping himself in that department by missing any time as a rookie... even if it is just OTA time. Say what you want about Walter, but he does 2 things well... catches the ball, and run blocks. Those kind of players always find playing time because of their reliability, which a lot of times is what's asked for and needed from your 5th option...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sweating any bullets about Hunter just yet. It's better for him to be safe than sorry when it comes to a hammy. For me, the real concerns will take place in TC and preseason. I think the coaches are just frustrated because they're excited about having him, and they want to get a feel for him right now but can't. I do believe they do have big plans for him and expect him to help make an impact in the new offense this season because they made the jump to get him. But I think if he don't make a statement come TC, he WILL struggle to get some PT because of this article...

http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2013/06/19/titans-wrs-draw-high-praise/
lamont

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Titans CB Tommie Campbell ran with the starters during Wednesday's minicamp. Alterraun Verner has mostly worked at free safety during the offseason, leaving Campbell as the favorite to start opposite Jason McCourty. As a seventh-round rookie last year, Campbell played just 68 snaps on defense -- with 52 of those coming in Week 17.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2013/06/19/wednesday-ota-observations/

Quote:
A few observations from Wednesday’s OTA session at Baptist Sports Park:

Rookie wide receiver Justin Hunter participated in individual and seven-on-seven drills for the first time since injuring his hamstring during the opening OTA session.

Newly signed tackle Barry Richardson made his debut wearing No. 78.

Quarterback Jake Locker had his ups and downs during the scrimmage sessions. He missed an open Kendall Wright on a deep slant and threw behind an open Kenny Britt coming across the middle. But he later connected with Wright on a deep scoring pass down the left side and added several strong completions to the sideline.

Wide receiver Michael Preston made one of the afternoon’s nicer plays. He caught a pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick coming across the middle, then immediately reversed his field and outraced rookie cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson about 15 yards to the end zone.

Alterraun Verner, who played cornerback on Tuesday, was back playing free safety on Wednesday. Tommie Campbell returned to playing the first-team cornerback role opposite Jason McCourty.

Linebacker Akeem Ayers made a nice defensive play, chasing after the speedy Locker as he rolled right and then jumping up to swat away Locker’s pass.

ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“@evansilva: #Titans secondary is fascinating. Scheme overhaul. Alterraun Verner practicing at FS. Interested to see if he can beat out Michael Griffin.”

This is why you never listen to anything Rotoworld or this idiot Silva say. They have no idea what their talking about.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
Quote:
“@evansilva: #Titans secondary is fascinating. Scheme overhaul. Alterraun Verner practicing at FS. Interested to see if he can beat out Michael Griffin.”

This is why you never listen to anything Rotoworld or this idiot Silva say. They have no idea what their talking about.

While I agree that Rotoworld is ridiculous, I give more merit to this story than most. Here's why. ATV's in a contract year and I think he's a guy that the FO likes and wants in the locker room. I think they want to extend him long term. However schematically he doesn't fit what we want to do outside anymore, and its hard to justify giving big money to a guy you see as only a nickle back. If ATV hits the FA market next year I think a cover 2 team (Bears maybe) would jump all over him.

If he can play FS however and we can use him in the Charles Woodson hybrid role then maybe we can justify investing the type of money into him that will keep him of the FA market.

I think they will continue the experiment into TC and the pre-season and just see how he does. If he does well then maybe you'll see him in some sub packages during the season. If he plays well, and more importantly if Griff plays poorly, then maybe he's there more permanently by season's end.

For the record I think Griff will have a good year so the guy who might suffer PT loss could be George Wilson. I'm not saying ATV's takeover at FS is imminent, but I think there's more to it than just depth while RoJo (whose not making the 53 man roster this year) heals up. They want to find ways to keep ATV on the field as much as possible if he's not going to play the boundaries. Playing a little safety in combination with his nickle back role is a good way to make sure we're maximizing one of our better DB's talents.

**RIP Steve McNair**
Dionysus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see ATV getting his PT in the Nickel, Dime and Ruby formations to cover the slot. With all the passing offenses are doing now, I wouldn't expect him to miss too many plays, even from the NB spot. He'll be the odd man out mainly in the basic 4-3.
I believe they have him practicing at FS because our depth is weak at that position. We're loaded at SS but thin at FS, and I don't know the status of Robert Johnson's health. ATV has great instincts and good closing speed, but he lacks good makeup speed. The NB and FS positions should be natural fits for him. He's no stranger to the NB spot, as we already know, but the FS spot should give him even more opportunities to excel. This is actually an experiment I've been wanting to us to try with him for a while now. Glad to see it finally happening.

TitanTuff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dern Im liking this guy more and more. I hope he shows up on the field in a big way. I didn't realize he racked up the most tackles for the Ravens last year.

Pollard on his "KILL" comment,
“Our responsibility is to protect LP Field, and our responsibility is to steal wins on the road. And our responsibility is to (beat you up) as a defense, and that’s what we’re going to do on every single play. You have to have that mentality because nobody cares about the Tennessee Titans. Nobody. So you have to take the respect. That’s what we have to do."

2014 Adopt-A-Titan Zach Mettenberger 7
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
Hunter was never a problem in spring practice or the like in college. I'd let him get healthy and attend TC before you start forming an opinion, one way or the other.

I know how easy it is to get caught up on OTA news, but we have to realize it means almost nothing in the long run. If it's a problem in TC and in to pre-season, that's when you start worrying.

Its not just about him though... although he's not helping himself by upsetting the coaches. If a veteran who's been there, done that misses a few OTA's... its not a big deal. It's just OTA's. But if its a rookie, its slightly more significant.

But like I said, its not just about him. I don't see how he cracks the lineup enough his rookie season to make any sort of impact. There are 5 skill positions... and CJ (or Shonn) will take up one of those spots just about every snap... leaving 4. You have a seemingly dedicated Britt at 1... playing for a new contract. Then you have Washington, who I've always liked. He brings a toughness and leadership that few others on the team has shown recently. Wright will also get heavy minutes... leaving 1 spot open plus rotation duty for Stevens, Walker, Thompson, Quinn, DWill, Hunter, and Walter all vying for those snaps.

Its a numbers game... and if this offense goes as run heavy as it sounds it may, there just won't be many balls to go around for a 4th/5th WR... Of course, an injury to one of the top 3 WRs changes things (and given Britt's history, not a far fetched proposition)... but first he has to place himself above DWill and Walter in the pecking order.

You don't trade up to the top of the 2nd round to take a player who is going to be more or less an afterthought. At least, I certainly hope not. Hunter will be pushed ahead of Williams and Walter based on that alone, unless Williams and Walter show something incredible.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:

You don't trade up to the top of the 2nd round to take a player who is going to be more or less an afterthought. At least, I certainly hope not. Hunter will be pushed ahead of Williams and Walter based on that alone, unless Williams and Walter show something incredible.

Hey... I hope you're right. But trading up to get a player does not guarantee his success in the NFL... nor will it dictate playing time. He better win that 4th spot early on... it'd be a benefit to the team considering his size/speed potential... but its no given.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 18 of 62

Jump to: