Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TheVillain112 2013 Mock Draft...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: TheVillain112 2013 Mock Draft... Reply with quote

Finally got around to doing a mock draft. I went back and fourth for a while on who to take with the first round pick. Also I'm assuming we re-sign Andre Smith.

1.21: Keenan Allen, WR, California - Although I don't think WR is a big need, Allen is to good to pass up if he drops to us. Allen is under-rated like Sanu was last draft because he lacks ideal speed. He has great hands, a huge catching radius and is great at blocking.

2.37: Matt Elam, S, Florida - Elam is the perfect complimentary safety next to Reggie Nelson. He's physical against the run and plays tight coverage. His height is an issue but he's a playmaker.

2.53: Brian Schwenke, OC, California - The biggest weakness for our offense was Center. While Robinson played alright, Cook was horrendous. Schwenke anchors very well which is needed against the NTs in our division.

3.84: Jon Bostic, LB, Florida - I wanted to address LB earlier but I think Bostic in the 3rd isn't that much of a step down compared to some other LBs that we could draft in the 1st or 2nd rounds. Probably will need a little more time to develop than some of the top LBs in the class but has the potential to be as good as anyone.

4.118: Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon - Barner is a faster Bernard Scott IMO. Could be just the player we need to bring some home run ability to the offense.

5.156: Ace Sanders, WR/KR, South Carolina - Best kick returner in college. Could definitely use the upgrade over Tate.

6.190: Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina - Nice rotational DE. Has the size that Zimmer likes in DEs.

6.197: Chris Faulk, OT, LSU - Needs work on his technique but is a mauler. Could play RT or Guard for us.

7.240: Marcus Davis, WR, Virgina Tech - One of the most talented receivers in the draft but drops to the 7th because of effort concerns and mental lapses.

7.251: Jayson DiManche, OLB, Southern Illinois - A little undersized and needs work on his technique but like Marcus Davis is an explosive athlete.

Flame away...
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: TheVillain112 2013 Mock Draft... Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:

1.21: Keenan Allen, WR, California
2.37: Matt Elam, S, Florida
2.53: Brian Schwenke, OC, California
3.84: Jon Bostic, LB, Florida
4.118: Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon
5.156: Ace Sanders, WR/KR, South Carolina
6.190: Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina
6.197: Chris Faulk, OT, LSU
7.240: Marcus Davis, WR, Virgina Tech
7.251: Jayson DiManche, OLB, Southern Illinois

Flame away...

No flames from me ! Absolutely love it.

Love Allen, like Elam (would probably take Eric Reid ahead of Elam here); then I would probably take Laveon Bell instead of Schwenke; (but you are right about C, and Schwenke is a nice pick). Love the Barner, Bostic, Sanders, Faulk and Taylor picks, and no nothing about Di'Manche; (except it sounds like a french pudding). I like Michael Clay as a late LB pick, and would probably look for a big pass-catching TE, extra OL or DB, or 'whoever drops' @ #251.

Overall though, if our draft came out looking something like this next week I for one would be very happy. Grade A from me 'Villain'

Still not convinced we get Smith done next week though.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only pick I wouldn't touch is Schwenke. I'd go another RB there like Bernard or Ellington, and still take a flier on Barner, who couldn't block me. Our third down back has to be able to block as well as catch.
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they only way we take a WR early is if it's one who is ready for the NFL. I think Allen fits this, so even though I'd prefer not to go that route, I'd be ok with it. Elam is one of several safeties that I think would start day one for us, so I am glad to see him on there. Center is a position that no one seems to be talking about, I'd like to get a good one, but hear very little push for it elsewhere. Either way, I think getting a lineman early is likely, just because we have a fairly consistent record of that. Like to see running back earlier than that. I have no faith in Barer as a regular feature, but I do think he can do returns and gadget plays. Still think an earlier back that can do change of pace and potentially push as a feature back is a must.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was debating for a while on taking Keenan Allen or going with one of Kevin Minter/Alec Ogletree/Arthur Brown. I would be happy with any of those 4 with our first round pick...
Hokie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of taking a WR in the 1st, but not Allen. Would much rather have Patterson or Hunter, as I think they better fit what we need. We have a steady, reliable complement to Green in Sanu (he's a Houshmanzadeh clone), but we need an explosive, deep-threat WR, IMO. Patterson and Hunter both fit that mold. But again, love the idea of taking a WR at 21. I don't think Marvin does, unfortunately.

Elam is a very solid pick at 37. I think I'd rather have Reid, but will certainly be okay with Elam here. This is the spot to take a safety, IMO.

I'm okay with Schwenke here, though he wouldn't have been my first choice. He'd compete for a starting spot as a rookie. I'd prefer a RB like Ellington here.

Really like Bostic in the 3rd.

Barner is a good pick in the 4th, assuming they haven't taken a RB yet. I think they take one earlier though.

Don't like the Saunders pick, mainly because I think he's a clone of Hawkins.

The Taylor pick is okay.

Faulk would be good value in the 6th, doubt he falls this far though.

Davis probably doesn't fall to the 7th. Some team will take him earlier hoping the light bulb comes on for him. Watched him plenty of college. The tools are there, but frankly, I don't think he cuts it in the NFL. Not a hard worker and as you said, doesn't usually play with a lot of effort.

I don't know anything about DiManche.

Overall, a solid draft. I just like to nitpick. Laughing
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
I love the idea of taking a WR in the 1st, but not Allen. Would much rather have Patterson or Hunter, as I think they better fit what we need. We have a steady, reliable complement to Green in Sanu (he's a Houshmanzadeh clone), but we need an explosive, deep-threat WR, IMO. Patterson and Hunter both fit that mold. But again, love the idea of taking a WR at 21. I don't think Marvin does, unfortunately.

Elam is a very solid pick at 37. I think I'd rather have Reid, but will certainly be okay with Elam here. This is the spot to take a safety, IMO.

I'm okay with Schwenke here, though he wouldn't have been my first choice. He'd compete for a starting spot as a rookie. I'd prefer a RB like Ellington here.

Really like Bostic in the 3rd.

Barner is a good pick in the 4th, assuming they haven't taken a RB yet. I think they take one earlier though.

Don't like the Saunders pick, mainly because I think he's a clone of Hawkins.

The Taylor pick is okay.

Faulk would be good value in the 6th, doubt he falls this far though.

Davis probably doesn't fall to the 7th. Some team will take him earlier hoping the light bulb comes on for him. Watched him plenty of college. The tools are there, but frankly, I don't think he cuts it in the NFL. Not a hard worker and as you said, doesn't usually play with a lot of effort.

I don't know anything about DiManche.

Overall, a solid draft. I just like to nitpick. Laughing

Appreciate the nit-picking. It's exactly what I was looking for.

You're probably right about Faulk and Davis. Should probably take Faulk earlier and someone else instead of Davis.

I disagree about Sanders though. We tried using baby hawk to return punts in the preseason and he was horrible. Just a fumble waiting to happen. Some players just have natural return ability and others don't. Hawk should be great at returning kicks because he's nasty in the open field but he's not.

Sanders is the best returner I've seen in a while. Whoever gets him will be extremely happy with his game-changing ability returning kicks.

As for Justin Hunter over Keenan Allen, if we had a different QB I would agree. I don't think Dalton and Hunter would be a good pairing at all...

Last edited by TheVillain112 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'm the only one around here not a fan of Keenan Allen. He looks too slow to me. In a weird way he kinda reminds me of Sanu. A guy who isn't going to blow you away athletically but is physical and has strong hands. That being said, I agree with Hokie. We need a WR that can threaten the other side of AJ deep. If we go WR this early, i want DeAndre Hopkins. Does everything Allen does but isn't as big or strong. Can already run every route, has great hands, and has speed that warrants respect from DB's. I think he's the perfect fit for Gruden's offence. Also, I think Allen might have a chance to be there at 37. Last i heard he's dropping due to medical and speed concerns.

Elam i really like, i just think he might struggle covering TE's that tower over him.

Schwenke i'm not sure about. I think our staff will let Robinson and Cook battle it out in camp. I'd go RB there.

Bostic i'm cool with. Barner will struggle mightily in pass pro. Enough that he won't likely see the field.

Ace Sanders is kinda pointless if you already drafted Barner. They offer the same things.

I think Faulk is long gone by that point, but i really like the pick.

I'm not really a fan of this draft, but i think it's mostly because of Allen. I'm just not sold on him from what i've seen. Anyone wanna try and convince me?
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way i want to take a WR in the 1st is if its Patterson, but i could be sold on Allen. I like it, but obviously, its not my mock so its not perfect... Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
the only way i want to take a WR in the 1st is if its Patterson, but i could be sold on Allen. I like it, but obviously, its not my mock so its not perfect... Very Happy

I like Hopkins more then Patterson, Pattersons wonderlic scores worry me I don't want another Simpson! but agree we need a WR that can turn a short pass into a long play. Not sold on Barner either I see our need at RB as greater and don't see us taking undersize poor blocker. I'm seeing S, RB and WR with our first three picks in order of best player available.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming availability, i'd rather have Jonathan Franklin at 53 and Khaled Holmes in rd 4. Otherwise, I like it. Allen and AJ would be an awesome WR duo with Marvin Jones for depth, Hawkins and Sanu working the slots, and Gresham and Charles working the middle to kove the chains.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrminning wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:

I like Hopkins more then Patterson, Pattersons wonderlic scores worry me I don't want another Simpson! but agree we need a WR that can turn a short pass into a long play. Not sold on Barner either I see our need at RB as greater and don't see us taking undersize poor blocker. I'm seeing S, RB and WR with our first three picks in order of best player available.

You have to remember AJ only scored a 10 on the wonderlic. Allen's injury info coming out along with the failed drug test are starting to worry me. At this point, I am leaning more towards a later round receiver. I think Sanu did a great job last year once he got going and would like to see him get a shot with a later round player.

I think we need a RB earlier than Barner, a guy like Franklin or Ellington would be great, but Gio is my guy as of now.

I like Elam and have no problem with him at 37 and I like Faulk, jus dont see him falling that far.

Overall it is a solid draft, but it doesn't excite me at all. Helps with depth at a lot of positions though which is good

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
ark23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we take Keenan Allen. I'm obviously not high on him, but he doesn't bring anything new to the table. I think he's best working out of the slot, he doesn't have top end speed to take the top off the defense and he isn't really dynamic with the ball in his hands. I also think it's clear that Marvin Lewis really believes in this WR group. He has been effusive in his praise for Sanu and Jones and I don't think he will go WR till the mid rounds.

Elam is another guy I don't really like, have a late second/early third round grade on him. With that said I think he's very likely to be the pick at 37. One thing I would say is in the Marvin era we haven't valued the safety position all that highly, never taken one higher than the fifties.

I don't think there's any way we wait till the fourth round to take a RB, Marvin has been all about improving the run game/becoming more physical and we've shown interest in Gio Bernard and Eddie Lacy. Barner is a guy I don't like, in fact I don't have a draftable grade on him. I think he's a RS at the next level maybe a receiver out of the backfield but little more.

With that said I 100% agree on the selection of Bostic - I think he's a likely pick and I think we wait till that long to take him. Not a big fan of Bostic but I think he's a likely pick.

Schwenke is better suited to a ZBS but he can play G or C and he may appeal to this team. I'm inclined to think we give a chance to Trevor Robinson rather than draft an IOL early but it wouldn't be shocking.

Love Ace Sanders, dynamic player on special teams. DiManche is a guy we've shown interest in, Taylor fits the mold for a Zimmer defensive end and Faulk is a really talented OT. Marcus Davis seems like a Bengals pick too.

Wouldn't love the draft but I think some parts of it are very likely.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
I don't think we take Keenan Allen. I'm obviously not high on him, but he doesn't bring anything new to the table. I think he's best working out of the slot, he doesn't have top end speed to take the top off the defense and he isn't really dynamic with the ball in his hands. I also think it's clear that Marvin Lewis really believes in this WR group. He has been effusive in his praise for Sanu and Jones and I don't think he will go WR till the mid rounds.

Elam is another guy I don't really like, have a late second/early third round grade on him. With that said I think he's very likely to be the pick at 37. One thing I would say is in the Marvin era we haven't valued the safety position all that highly, never taken one higher than the fifties.

I don't think there's any way we wait till the fourth round to take a RB, Marvin has been all about improving the run game/becoming more physical and we've shown interest in Gio Bernard and Eddie Lacy. Barner is a guy I don't like, in fact I don't have a draftable grade on him. I think he's a RS at the next level maybe a receiver out of the backfield but little more.

I am not too high on Allen. Patterson at 21 intrigues me. Guys like Justin Hunter at 37 isn't bad either, but i am happy with Sanu as our #2.

I like Elam. I think he is a big time hitter but can play some center field. My favorite is Vaccaro but I would be ok with Cyprien, just wish we could get him at 37. This S class is deep, but not amazing. We have passed over the S position too much, hence why each year it is a major need. Hopefully this year ends that.

I agree a RB before 4th round is necessary. I like Barner and wouldnt mind him if we go with Lacy at 37, but I think we need more than Barner to upgrade the position.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, here is how I think our draft will go (not complete yet obviously):

1.21: Jonathan Cyprien, S, FIU
2.37: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
2.53: Gio Bernard, RB, North Carolina
3.84: Reid Fragel, OT, Ohio State
4.118: Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU
5.156: TBD
6.190: TBD
6.197: Jayson DiManche, OLB, Southern Illinois
7.240: TBD
7.251: TBD

This is what I expect the Bengals to do...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: