Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pop Quiz - Guards and the NFL Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“There’s enough depth in this draft that you sure want to keep your ears open for trades, because you could very well get as good or better player at another level,” Jones said. “And we will have our minds open. We won’t be doing a lot before the draft, fielding many calls. It’ll probably be happening right there on draft day.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/22/jerry-jones-would-like-to-trade-down/

It could be a smokescreen still, but maybe not. If we dont trade up and warmack, cooper, vaccaro, and richardson are all gone then I could definitely see us attempting to move down.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Quote:
“There’s enough depth in this draft that you sure want to keep your ears open for trades, because you could very well get as good or better player at another level,” Jones said. “And we will have our minds open. We won’t be doing a lot before the draft, fielding many calls. It’ll probably be happening right there on draft day.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/22/jerry-jones-would-like-to-trade-down/

It could be a smokescreen still, but maybe not. If we dont trade up and warmack, cooper, vaccaro, and richardson are all gone then I could definitely see us attempting to move down.

That's a load of crap. Most 1st round trades are worked out before draft day to ensure that the compensation is worked out and can be reported to the league in the allotted time. Jerry's blowing smoke.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

I think we have a group of 4 players (Cooper, Warmack, Richardson, and Vaccaro) that we are targeting. I expect we will see how the draft plays out. But if it's starting to seem like we are getting wiped out, it wouldn't surprise me if we traded up.

I hope these are the players we are targeting, but im pretty against trading up if it costs us a second.

I don't think there is any way we give up a second round pick for a second year in a row. But a couple of spots at a reasonable price to nab their last 1st round grade at a position of need? I could see that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our main hope for a trade down is giving Vacarro to someone else.
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:
Quote:

That's a load of crap. Most 1st round trades are worked out before draft day to ensure that the compensation is worked out and can be reported to the league in the allotted time. Jerry's blowing smoke.

What's stopping them from sorting out a deal out with 2 days left?

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:
Quote:

Nothing at all. But to say that they won't be fielding many calls before draft day and will be handling them at that moment is patently false because it's irresponsible and difficult to get a reasonable deal done. Teams make "what if" trade calls constantly and look to have deals in place in case their "what if" scenarios actually happen. As I said, it allows them to complete the trade and report it to the league offices with enough time to get it through before the time allotted to that pick expires. So I'm quite confident that Jerry is lying. The problem is that anyone who understands the draft knows that he's lying, which really defeats the purpose of making such a comment.

Northland wrote:
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
WareWolf94 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:
Quote:

Nothing at all. But to say that they won't be fielding many calls before draft day and will be handling them at that moment is patently false because it's irresponsible and difficult to get a reasonable deal done. Teams make "what if" trade calls constantly and look to have deals in place in case their "what if" scenarios actually happen. As I said, it allows them to complete the trade and report it to the league offices with enough time to get it through before the time allotted to that pick expires. So I'm quite confident that Jerry is lying. The problem is that anyone who understands the draft knows that he's lying, which really defeats the purpose of making such a comment.

I think they make them during the draft too.

If a team sees....lets say Geno Smith (not worth a 1st rd) slip and the Jets are on the clock at 13, I don't think its completely out of line to think that a team may call the Cowboys and say, what will it take to get up to 18?

Teams are playing things close, not wanting to give up too much. I see and respect what you are saying, but I don't think every trade on draft day has been hammered out days before.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 12h
“@CSgoHawks: what percent chance do you think one of the top 2 guards will be there at 18?” Probably the same as me driving in Indy 500.

Sad Sad Sad Sad

What does a former nfl scout know anyways? lol. I really hope he is wrong.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
I think our main hope for a trade down is giving Vacarro to someone else.

Seriously doubt we'd trade away from Vaccaro.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Quote:
“@CSgoHawks: what percent chance do you think one of the top 2 guards will be there at 18?” Probably the same as me driving in Indy 500.

Sad Sad Sad Sad

He also thought DeCastro was going to KC last year.

Northland wrote:
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:
Quote:

Sad Sad Sad Sad

He also thought DeCastro was going to KC last year.

At least at shows he values OGs... Maybe we should put him in the war room.
Desperado Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Quiz - Guards and the NFL Draft Reply with quote

Desperado Dan wrote:
1) What is the highest a guard has been picked?

plan9misfit wrote:
2nd overall in 1985. It was Bill Fralic, selected by the Atlanta Falcons.

Correct - unless you also want to count Leonard Davis. He was also picked 2nd overall, and according to Wikipedia, he played his first 3 years as a guard.

Desperado Dan wrote:
2) How many times since the NFL/AFL merger has the NFL draft featured at least two guards taken in the first 17 picks?

Depends on the source. The draft history at NFL.com has 6 such drafts; Wikipedia has 5. The years:

NFL.com Wikipedia
1975 1967
1976 1975
1980 1976
1982 1982
1983 1988

Desperado Dan wrote:
3) What is the highest number of guards taken in the first 17 picks (again, before the merger?)

NFL.com lists the 1975 draft as having 4 guards taken in the first 17 picks. However, Wikipedia lists two of those guards as tackles.

The eyes of Texas are upon you...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: