Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pop Quiz - Guards and the NFL Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desperado Dan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Pop Quiz - Guards and the NFL Draft Reply with quote

Since the players I most covet in the first round this year are guards, I thought I'd do a little research and give a little quiz.

1) What is the highest a guard has been picked?

2) How many times since the NFL/AFL merger has the NFL draft featured at least two guards taken in the first 17 picks?

3) What is the highest number of guards taken in the first 17 picks (again, before the merger?)

The eyes of Texas are upon you...
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually researched this a few weeks ago, but have since forgotten.

I went back to the mid 80s or so, but I think the answer to #1 is 7 and pretty sure the answer to #2 & 3 is "not in the salary cap/7 round draft era"
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a thread on this about a month ago.

I think the only time since 1981 was when Leonard Davis was drafted. I think Hutchinson and Davis to be exact.

But that doesn't really count, he wasnt selected to play guard.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what someone needs to do is go back and not just look at the guards selected, but look at the skill positions selected and compare those to this year. That is going to be the difference maker on whether or not the guards are taken earlier. Since I'll have all week doing nothing, I might try and do a little research on it.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
I think what someone needs to do is go back and not just look at the guards selected, but look at the skill positions selected and compare those to this year. That is going to be the difference maker on whether or not the guards are taken earlier. Since I'll have all week doing nothing, I might try and do a little research on it.

1997 might be the most similar...very few skill guys in the top 20....a guard went at number 10...and another at 19 .The game has changed a ton since this draft though.

The last time a qb wasnt drafted in the top 3 was 2000. So i think we can expect geno to go before us, if not another qb. Yes, i think theres a chance, especially if the jets get a second first round pick from tampa. There wasnt a first round guard in 2000.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:

1997 might be the most similar...very few skill guys in the top 20....a guard went at number 10...and another at 19 .The game has changed a ton since this draft though.

The last time a qb wasnt drafted in the top 3 was 2000. So i think we can expect geno to go before us, if not another qb. Yes, i think theres a chance, especially if the jets get a second first round pick from tampa. There wasnt a first round guard in 2000.

It's just so cheap now to take a chance on a qb, that it doesn't really matter to most owners if you take them a round ahead of projection. I agree. I think two qb's will be taken before our pick.
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you have to look at which is the better player not just look at the position. Pro bowl OG is better than a mediocre QB.

Most mocks have us taking Sylvester Williams from UNC, and a few have us taking Richardson if he falls to #18. I haven't seen a mock that has a top OT/OG getting past #16.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
But you have to look at which is the better player not just look at the position. Pro bowl OG is better than a mediocre QB.

Most mocks have us taking Sylvester Williams from UNC, and a few have us taking Richardson if he falls to #18. I haven't seen a mock that has a top OT/OG getting past #16.

You must not have looked at many mocks.Plus DeCastro was never mocked to fall to us either...he fell into the 20's. I think at least one guard will be there.

flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until today, I was fairly confident that one of Cooper or Warmack would be available when we pick at 18. Nothing happened to change that, but for some reason I woke up and just said to myself, "unless we trade up, we aren't getting one of those guys". I just can't see it happening.

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Quiz - Guards and the NFL Draft Reply with quote

Desperado Dan wrote:
Since the players I most covet in the first round this year are guards, I thought I'd do a little research and give a little quiz.

1) What is the highest a guard has been picked?

2nd overall in 1985. It was Bill Fralic, selected by the Atlanta Falcons.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Up until today, I was fairly confident that one of Cooper or Warmack would be available when we pick at 18. Nothing happened to change that, but for some reason I woke up and just said to myself, "unless we trade up, we aren't getting one of those guys". I just can't see it happening.

Interesting...i hope youre wrong. And i tend to go with how you were thinking prior to this morning....one of them will be there IMO...but this draft is a special case and i literally have no clue as to how it will play out.

EDIT: I hope we arent looking to trade up for a guard....i dont like the idea of giving up extra picks for a guard.
Quote:
Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead 2h
Trust me this: The Cowboys are NOT looking to move down. They are definitely interested in trading up or staying at 18. #smokescreen
Retweeted by Bryan Broaddus

CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Interesting...i hope youre wrong. And i tend to go with how you were thinking prior to this morning....one of them will be there IMO...but this draft is a special case and i literally have no clue as to how it will play out.

EDIT: I hope we arent looking to trade up for a guard....i dont like the idea of giving up extra picks for a guard.
Quote:
Trust me this: The Cowboys are NOT looking to move down. They are definitely interested in trading up or staying at 18. #smokescreen

I'm fine giving up a 3rd for Cooper/Warmack if need be. That means trading up anywhere between 14-17. Anything higher than that would likely require our 2nd which I'm not comfortable with doing in this deep of draft.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Quote:

I'm fine giving up a 3rd for Cooper/Warmack if need be. That means trading up anywhere between 14-17. Anything higher than that would likely require our 2nd which I'm not comfortable with doing in this deep of draft.

I'm even iffy on a 3rd to be honest. If we could use a 4th to move up like 3 spots, and then move back in the 3rd to pick up an extra 5th or something, that would be better to me.

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Quote:

I think we have a group of 4 players (Cooper, Warmack, Richardson, and Vaccaro) that we are targeting. I expect we will see how the draft plays out. But if it's starting to seem like we are getting wiped out, it wouldn't surprise me if we traded up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

I think we have a group of 4 players (Cooper, Warmack, Richardson, and Vaccaro) that we are targeting. I expect we will see how the draft plays out. But if it's starting to seem like we are getting wiped out, it wouldn't surprise me if we traded up.

I hope these are the players we are targeting, but im pretty against trading up if it costs us a second.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: