Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If it is a pass rusher, which option would you prefer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which option would you perfer?
Option 1
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Option 2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Option 3
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
None of the above
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: If it is a pass rusher, which option would you prefer? Reply with quote

Ok, the overall sediment amongst Saints fans is that the Saints need to find a dynamic pass rusher in this drafts top round, so I’ve been thinking. Of the following scenarios, which one would you prefer the Saints to go with?

Option 1:
Take either Barkevious Mingo or Jarvis Jones at 15

With Dion Jordan and Ziggy Ansah almost guaranteed to be off the board by now, the Saints may have a shot at either Keke Mingo or Jarvis Jones. I seriously doubt both will be available but one of them should be. If your preference is to land either of the two then a trade down option is not in the cards because the Pittsburgh Steelers are waiting in the wings at pick 17 to pounce on either as well.

Option 2:
Trade down, acquire an additional 3rd round pick and take Tank Carradine

Tank Carradine will go higher than most think, especially after his shocking performance at his proday today. Before his injury, Carradine was considered a potential top 10 pick with all the physical tools to dominate on the next level. Some consider the Seminole the best pure pass rusher in the entire draft and after today’s performance (which the Saints were in attendance) it’s likely Carradine will be selected somewhere in the upper to mid-1st round. Trading down to get Carradine could happen but I doubt moving past the Giants, Colts or Vikings would land him. This means that the trade cannot be too far past our 15th selection which would only land us a 3rd rounder in theory. An additional name to throw into the mix here would be Carradine’s FSU teammate Bjoern Werner.

Option 3:
Trade down, acquire an additional 2nd round pick and take Jamie Collins

In this scenario the Saints could likely move down well past the mid-1st round teams and still get their guy towards the end of round 1. This far of a move would all but assure the Saints the opportunity to recoup their lost 2nd rounder in addition to maybe another 4th or 5th rounder to boot. Collins is a fantastic athlete with the size and physical tools to develop into a terror off the edge. He was a dominate player on a very bad college team and could eventually be the dynamic edge defender we have been searching for at the fraction of the cost. An additional name to throw into the mix here would be Texas A&M all American defender Demontre Moore.

So, there you have it… If it’s gonna be a pass rusher, which would you prefer?

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
krewebrees

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked none of the above.

My 5th highest outside linebacker is Sean Porter. Yes that means he's higher than Collins. I have Tank positioned at DL not as a linebacker. Porter's strength is his coverage ability, but he is also a good blitzer, like Jordan. No he's not a excellent pass rusher, but good non the less. I see him as a Sam, the position I think we need, we have Galette for Jack. Drafting Porter would allow us to start Galette, something that i fell we couldn't do if we drafted Mingo or Ansah. Porter will very likely be available with our third, possibly our 4th.

So here's my "option 4":
Trade down either with Minnesota or San Fransico. Minnesota would give us a higher pick and let us get Datone Jones, but a lower second hopefully Elam. San Fransico would give us a lower first, likely not letting us Jones, maybe Arthur Brown, but a higher second so we could get DJ Hayden. Either way don't get a pass rushing linebacker with our first two picks, wait until round 3 and get Porter.

I do like Jarvis Jones and taking him at 15 if he is available is a great option. If he is available I'm torn, because with Porter your drafting form the back to the front something u don't want to do, because if he's taken before our pick we're screwed. If Mingo is the only pass rusher left at 15 I'd trade down and do the above. I like Mingo, but see him only as a jack. The fact that Porter can play Sam and will likely be available two rounds later, makes his option better than Mingo at 15. In my opinion.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Porter as a prospect but absolutely not in Ryan's scheme. Ryan does not ask his OLB to drop into coverage much (if at all at times) but does expect them to set the edge.

At 6'1" 228lbs, I just see Porter as a bad fit in this style of 34. Maybe as an inside WILB to utlize his coverage ability but I wouldn't touch Porter till the 4th round.

krewebrees

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah is see where your coming from. I've given some thought to him playing will for us. He'd be used as a situational blitzer instead of an every down blitzer. Possibly a better fit for his skill set, but that's what else I like about him. Versitility. I think he can play both and with Ryan running 1-5 and 0-6 nickels we need versatile athletes that can blitz and cover. I know I'm higher on him than most people, because I would go crazy if we got him in the 4th. It's just my opinion on him.

We'll see in a couple days.
NS922

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your 120th thread

literally

Last edited by NS922 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
Yeah is see where your coming from. I've given some thought to him playing will for us. He'd be used as a situational blitzer instead of an every down blitzer. Possibly a better fit for his skill set, but that's what else I like about him. Versitility. I think he can play both and with Ryan running 1-5 and 0-6 nickels we need versatile athletes that can blitz and cover. I know I'm higher on him than most people, because I would go crazy if we got him in the 4th. It's just my opinion on him.

We'll see in a couple days.

Totally!!! Look as a situational blitzer and future WILB he'd be a great fit for us. Like I said, I like him as a prospect but I wouldn't go higher than the 4th for him... Maybe if we had a 2nd I'd consider him in the 3rd but as we sit, I'd say 4th at the earliest.

Good prospect though

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be fine with any of them honestly.

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan: 3 tackles, 3 passes defended
Joseph Morgan: Absolutely nothing
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have JJ as my #1 and Collins as my #2 (assuming that Star, Richardson, Floyd, and Jordan are all gone). I would have to go with scenario #1...but I don't think that you can assume that you would take Collins or Carradine by trading down. There is bunch of risk involved. If you believe that you have a player of value...you take him.

I like Carradine (Seminole Fan)...but I don't think that he is as good as Werner. I believe that both are 4-3 DEs. Both would likely struggle in coverage against TEs. Though Ryan does play lots of 5-2 (from the 3-4 set), and 2-4-5 nickel...you really need a guy with LB abilities at SOLB. JJ and Collins fit the bill...Carradine and Werner do not (neither does Mingo).
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be extremely happy with all 3 TBH, as long as scenario 1 doesn't result in us drafting Mingo.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: