Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Belichick Kinda Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruschidawg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: A Belichick Kinda Mock Reply with quote

Everyone has who they'd like to see the Pats take. Lets face it, last year excluded, we're all initially disappointed and then we have to just wait and see. I figured, this year, I mock what I think Bill will do and why. So without further adieu.....

1.) Barrett Jones - OL Bama - this guy just screams Patriot pick. He's played and excelled at every position on the O line for a dominant line. It's his "too versatile to pass up" pick.

2.) John Simon - OLB/DE Ohio State - Bill trusts Urban Meyer, sometimes to a fault. The guy is an overachiever that Meyer compares his work ethic to Tim Tebow. Position of need but probably the wrong guy. See Jermaine Cunningham.

3.) Cobi Hamilton - WR Arkansas - he has the size and ability to go across the middle. Was the focal point of the offense last year. This the "we coulda traded down and still have gotten him" pick.

7.) Nick Clancy - BC LB - special teamer. Could develop into more. Is actually a pretty good tackler.

7.) Jordan Rodgers - QB Vandy - eh, why not???

Thanks to Tzimisce

bannanasrUSC wrote:
I guess I am a massive troll homer. Smile
BP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the jones pick, and rodgers pick in the seventh. not hating the cobi hamilton one either but not loving it a whole lot. john simon pick ok but doesn't get me ubber excited and the special teamer from BC seems like just a hometown bias pick guy wouldnt make the team there are already so many other better and versatile players on the pats. all n all not crazy about this draft class but it wouldnt be too out of the norm for belichick i guess
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Simon but he isn't a 2nd round talent.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very sad if that ended up being their haul.
Jaymun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrett Jones isn't "too versatile to pass up" ever, and shouldn't even be looked at before the late third round IMO, I don't see him as much of an NFL player, tons of better linemen that are likely to go from the 2nd-4th rounds, and certainly tons better in the first.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying this is what I WANT. This is what I think Bill may do. Mine would look something like this...

1. Justin Hunter WR Tenn or Robert Woods WR USC
2. Sam Montgomery DE LSU
3. Tyrann Mathieu CB/S LSU

BPA for the 7th rounder or try to turn them into 2014 6th round picks.

Thanks to Tzimisce

bannanasrUSC wrote:
bruschidawg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaymun wrote:
Barrett Jones isn't "too versatile to pass up" ever, and shouldn't even be looked at before the late third round IMO, I don't see him as much of an NFL player, tons of better linemen that are likely to go from the 2nd-4th rounds, and certainly tons better in the first.

I don't know, a guy who wins the Outland Trophy at tackle and then the Rimington Trophy the next year usually means he is versatile and should succeed at the next level. More often than not an award winning linemen doesn't bust in the NFL.

Thanks to Tzimisce

bannanasrUSC wrote:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruschidawg wrote:
Jaymun wrote:

I don't know, a guy who wins the Outland Trophy at tackle and then the Rimington Trophy the next year usually means he is versatile and should succeed at the next level. More often than not an award winning linemen doesn't bust in the NFL.

Last 25 Outland Trophy winners:

Tracy Rocker
Mohammed Elewonibi
Russell Maryland
Steve Emtman
Will Shields
Rob Waldrop
Zach Wiegert
Jonathan Ogden
Orlando Pace
Aaron Taylor
Kris Farris
Chris Samuels
John Henderson
Bryant McKinnie
Rien Long
Robert Gallery
Jammal Brown
Greg Eslinger
Joe Thomas
Glenn Dorsey
Andre Smith
Ndamukong Suh
Gabe Carimi
Barrett Jones
Luke Joeckel

That's a whole lot of busts and generally poor NFL players. Some of those guys are (or were) stars. Most of them were outright bad pros.

Winning awards in college means nothing in relation to their NFL chances.
Sciz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrett Jones is not a top two round prospect.
Jaymun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruschidawg wrote:
Jaymun wrote:

I'm not claiming he isn't versatile, the reason he's not too versatile to pass up is because he simply isn't very good, so his versatility doesn't mean much.

He's not exceptionally strong (doesn't get consistent movement in the run game, fails to stun even edge rushers with a punch in the pass game, which does actually make me question his versatility, it remains to be see if he's strong enough to block interior defenders at the next level), he's relatively fluid but lacks general athleticism, and despite having a good motor he doesn't play with the kind of nastiness and aggression that can sometimes make up for other deficiencies in the trenches.

He might be a serviceable piece at tackle on a team like the Texans that almost exclusively runs zone because his technique seems sound enough, but I don't really see any scenario in which the guy lives up to first round draft status, taking him any earlier than 3rd-4th round is just asking for disappointment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, taking any O lineman in the first is a mistake. I think we're good there but Bill doesn't seem to care. If he likes a guy, he'll take him.

Thanks to Tzimisce

bannanasrUSC wrote:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruschidawg wrote:
In my opinion, taking any O lineman in the first is a mistake. I think we're good there but Bill doesn't seem to care. If he likes a guy, he'll take him.

That's a valid point, but their OL is relatively set. Vollmer, Solder and Mankins are entrenched at starters and Wendell showed a lot of promise last year. That really only leaves RG as a potential spot of upgrade and other than the elite prospects (e.g. Warmack), I don't think any of these 1st rounders represent an upgrade over Connolly.

There's just not enough value - either positionally or in terms of prospects available- in the 1st round to take a RG.
bruschidawg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy Rocker - don't know him.
Mohammed Elewonibi - same with Rocker.
Russell Maryland - very solid pro
Steve Emtman - solid when healthy but that wasn't often
Will Shields - HOFer
Rob Waldrop - no clue
Zach Wiegert - long time starter
Jonathan Ogden - HOFer
Orlando Pace - HOFer
Aaron Taylor - VERY good pro.
Kris Farris - there's a bust
Chris Samuels - stud for his career.
John Henderson - very good pro.
Bryant McKinnie - very good pro
Rien Long - undersized and I guess you can call him a bust.
Robert Gallery - long time starter...even if he didn't live up to the hype.
Jammal Brown - solid pro.
Greg Eslinger - undersized and a reserve. Must have been a down year for linemen.
Joe Thomas - stud, potential future HOFer.
Glenn Dorsey - misused as a 3-4 DE. Still could flourish.
Andre Smith - starter and decent pro.
Ndamukong Suh - stud.
Gabe Carimi - starter since day 1.
Barrett Jones - TBD
Luke Joeck - possibly #1 overall

I see about 5 out of 25 of those guys that didn't pan out. Who else am I missing?

Thanks to Tzimisce

bannanasrUSC wrote:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruschidawg wrote:

Tracy Rocker - don't know him.
Mohammed Elewonibi - same with Rocker.
Russell Maryland - very solid pro
Steve Emtman - solid when healthy but that wasn't often
Will Shields - HOFer
Rob Waldrop - no clue
Zach Wiegert - long time starter
Jonathan Ogden - HOFer
Orlando Pace - HOFer
Aaron Taylor - VERY good pro.
Kris Farris - there's a bust
Chris Samuels - stud for his career.
John Henderson - very good pro.
Bryant McKinnie - very good pro
Rien Long - undersized and I guess you can call him a bust.
Robert Gallery - long time starter...even if he didn't live up to the hype.
Jammal Brown - solid pro.
Greg Eslinger - undersized and a reserve. Must have been a down year for linemen.
Joe Thomas - stud, potential future HOFer.
Glenn Dorsey - misused as a 3-4 DE. Still could flourish.
Andre Smith - starter and decent pro.
Ndamukong Suh - stud.
Gabe Carimi - starter since day 1.
Barrett Jones - TBD
Luke Joeck - possibly #1 overall

I see about 5 out of 25 of those guys that didn't pan out. Who else am I missing?

Aaron Taylor was a bust (thanks to his knees), not a "VERY good pro". Robert Gallery was a decent player but not an elite lineman and absolutely a bust, Carimi has been horrific, Jammal Brown has never lived up to the hype, Rocker, Waldrop and Elewonibi were all guys who stunk in the NFL and tried the CFL, Dorsey has been a total flop (bad system fit or no), Eslinger is a backup, Long stinks, Farris flopped, Emtman was a bust (yes with injuries), Wiegert was nothing special, Maryland was a useful player but hardly worth the #1 overall pick.

My point was, most of these guys weren't worth the hype they got (much of that hype was due to college accolades). Guys like Jammal Brown and Zach Wiegert were adequate pros, but not guys worth drafting early and Brown never lived up to his 1st round hype.

There are some great players on that list, but most of them ended up being bad or mediocre pros.

Barrett Jones is a mid round prospect talent-wise who is likely going to end up getting overdrafted based on his college accolades.
cochise

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I'd be very sad if that ended up being their haul.

I agree completely.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: