Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Deadline passed: Cruz will play for Giants, Alexander for SD
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Deadline passed: Cruz will play for Giants, Alexander for SD Reply with quote

Quote:
No offer sheet for Giants WR Victor Cruz, Chargers WR Danario Alexander, or any RFA WR (a la Mike Wallace last year). Nothing to see here.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/325559588831244288

Quote:
Since they are restricted, what do you think happens from here? ... Have no choice. Cruz back to NYG, Alexander to SD.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/325561325310844930
Tom Brady Tribute
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT with that quick 700k cap savings.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked no one made a move for Cruz.

I didnt expect an offer sheet, but doesnt seem like anyone considered it.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

He does want like 10 million plus it costs a first. Cruz is also going to be 27.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people will point to the Harvin situation and wonder why Cruz didn't get an offer sheet. Well, Harvin wanted to move, and the Vikings wanted to move him. I don't think that's the case with Cruz and the Giants. Cruz is a highly marketable player, and there is no better place for him to play than in the largest market in the US. It's beneficial to both sides for him to stay right here in NY.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

He does want like 10 million plus it costs a first. Cruz is also going to be 27.

27 isnt old.

There are teams with a boatload of money to spend still.

And while I get the first round argument, Cruz is proven.

As I said, I didnt expect any team to actually GIVE him an offer, but I thought there would be a team or two to at least take a look at the possibility.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Some people will point to the Harvin situation and wonder why Cruz didn't get an offer sheet. Well, Harvin wanted to move, and the Vikings wanted to move him. I don't think that's the case with Cruz and the Giants. Cruz is a highly marketable player, and there is no better place for him to play than in the largest market in the US. It's beneficial to both sides for him to stay right here in NY.

For a year...but he wont be there next year if they dont pony up the money he wants...especially if he has another big season.

They could tag him next year, but I honestly think he we would sit out if they tried that. He will have a chance to make a huge contract next year, and the longer it gets put off, the less likely it is too happen.

And how exactly is Cruz "highly marketable"? Not saying he isnt at all, but he is not a popular player outside of New York.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping someone would at least put an offer in on Alexander. We were the only team willing to pick him up and it looks like the only team even willing to bring him into camp. Pretty much a given that he will get my hopes up and break my heart.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
For a year...but he wont be there next year if they dont pony up the money he wants...especially if he has another big season.

They could tag him next year, but I honestly think he we would sit out if they tried that. He will have a chance to make a huge contract next year, and the longer it gets put off, the less likely it is too happen.

And how exactly is Cruz "highly marketable"? Not saying he isnt at all, but he is not a popular player outside of New York.

I think a deal will eventually go down. He has the same agent as Eli, and he's affiliated with Jay-Z marketing firm. Those two things point to him staying put.

He's already in two national television commercials. His latin american roots, good looks, and trade mark TD celebration make him very marketable.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

If a player is popular in New York, he is popular outside of New York.

All good playets in New York are very marketable.
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Malik

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Victor Cruz is very popular with women who aren't football fans. Probably one of the few non-QB NFL players they could name.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Victor Cruz is very popular with women who aren't football fans. Probably one of the few non-QB NFL players they could name.

Based on what?

I guarantee if you go out and ask 100 random female non football fans who he is, youll be luck to find 5 that know who he is.
patman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing now is whether he takes a shot at not getting injured in 6 games or 16. maybe the giants will geve him a couple of mill more for a one year deal to insure he plays all 16 games and does not pull a Jackson or Mankins.

He has some money from the above commercials, so he is better off than some RFAs at least.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really surprising, although I'm curious to see if Alexander produces again/stays healthy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Malik wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Based on what?

I guarantee if you go out and ask 100 random female non football fans who he is, youll be luck to find 5 that know who he is.

Wow, you will argue about anything.

He's an underdog story. He's a good player. He's playing for the biggest sports market in the country. He has a signature touchdown dance. He's in multiple national television ads. He signed with Jay-Z's agency. He even had a GQ photoshoot. What more proof do you need that he is highly marketable? Obviously he's going to be more recognized in the state and city he plays for, but as far as country wide recognition as a football player, he's got to be very high up there.

Only active players I could think of more marketable than Cruz are Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Eli Manning. Maybe Joe Flacco coming off his Superbowl victory, but the dude is not exactly a looker. Laughing

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: