Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Zephiel's Less Than One Week Left Ideal Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zephiel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Zephiel's Less Than One Week Left Ideal Mock Draft Reply with quote

Since we've got less than a week before the draft, I figured I'd share with you guys what I think my ideal draft would be. Get ready, because I know Spielman likes to move around so I tried to replicate that in this mock.

Before the draft starts, the Vikings have these picks:

About halfway through the first round, the Vikings make the move they are rumored to want to make.

**TRADE**
The Vikings trade picks 1.23, 3.21, and 4.5 to the Saints for pick 1.15.
New Orleans has only 6 picks this year and is looking to accumulate more to help build their new defense.

With the 15th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select:
DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri

Richardson falls past Carolina, and the Vikings see the Saints as a trade up option in order to nab him before teams like Dallas can get a chance. Rumor has it that the Vikings are looking to trade up, and I know that they have been very interested in Richardson throughout this pre-draft season. Richardson has an incredible motor and swagger to his game that is unmatched by any DT prospect in this draft. Richardson will start alongside Kevin Williams this season and be his heir when he is a free agent next season.

With the 25th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select:
MLB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame

The Vikings are showing a ton of interest in Te'o, and it makes sense. He's a heady, instinctual player who despite his bizarre fake-girlfriend episode late last year, is still a good football player. Spielman loves the kinds of players Notre Dame churns out and with our huge need at MLB, Te'o should fit perfectly. I envision Te'o a lot like I saw Harrison Smith last year: he may never be one of the best in the game, but he has the potential to be a great starter on this team for years to come.

***TRADE***
The Vikings trade pick 2.22 to the Dolphins for picks 3.15 and 3.20.
The Dolphins are a team that have shown to be aggressive in the draft and this fits the trade value chart. In Rick "Wheelin' and Dealin'" Spielman fashion, the Vikings want to move down to secure more picks and fill more holes on a needy roster.

With the 77th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select:
WR Markus Wheaton, Oregon State

Here, the Vikings fill their need for a deep threat at wide receiver. Wheaton is a team captain, a competitor, a smart player and a good talent to boot. He has great deep speed and burst, and good ability in and out of breaks, but tends to have some body catches, struggles with physical corners, and his size may worry some people (5'11, 189). I think that he has a good future and he would be a good fit across from Greg Jennings should he pan out.

With the 82nd pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select:
CB Leon McFadden, San Diego State

With the loss of Antoine Winfield, the Vikings need some serious competition at the CB spot. I believe that McFadden can provide that. McFadden has great awareness in zone coverage, is good at setting contain, and has solid speed and quick feet. He is a willing tackler but his form needs work, as he tends to cut tackle at times. He also struggles in press, and is a better fit in our zone scheme.

***TRADE***
The Vikings trade picks 4.23, 6.21, and 7.25 to the Jets for pick 4.9.
Spielman is at it again! This time, he moves ahead of Tennessee in order to pick up a guard prospect he's afraid won't last much longer.

With the 106th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select:
OG Alvin Bailey, Arkansas

Both starting guards -- Charlie Johnson and Brandon Fusco -- could use some upgrading, or at least competition. Bailey is a player that could provide that. He has great natural ability, experience at both guard spots, and moves well for his size. However, he needs to translate these tools into consistency, as his technique could use some coaching.

***TRADE***
The Vikings trade pick 5.22 to St. Louis for picks 6.16 and a 2014 fourth rounder.
The Vikings want to secure more picks in next year's draft, and not seeing a prospect they considerably like at their pick in the fifth, they move down with a team that has shown to be aggressive before in the Rams.

With the 184th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select:
DE Quanterrus Smith, Western Kentucky

The Vikings three starting ends this past season will be free agents next season, and it is important to get some depth before that happens. Smith could be that guy. He is going to fall on draft day because of the ACL tear that ended his 2012 season, and it's likely that he won't be a huge contributor in 2013. However, he has ideal length, great explosion, and great moves as a finesse pass rusher.

With the 213th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select:
WR Jasper Collins, Mount Union

Jasper Collins comes from the same school that Pierre Garcon and Cecil Shorts III hailed from, but he is a different kind of receiver. Collins will have to make his living in the slot due to his size, and I feel as though he could be a good backup to Jarius Wright if need be. He has solid release and is comfortable putting his body on the line to catch a ball.

With the 214th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select:
RB Knile Davis, Arkansas

Second straight year Spielman picks two guys from Arkansas. Davis could be taken earlier but I bet he falls bcause of injury concerns. I know that the Vikings are concerned as to who will be the 3rd down back once Toby Gerhart leaves, and Davis can do that. He is strong, willing, and aware enough to be an effective pass protector. He is a bruising back when healthy but the injury concerns are incredibly significant, as he has struggled with them since high school. He's worth a shot in the 7th round, though.

So, when it's all said and done, the Vikings turned this:

Into this:

1.15 - DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
1.25 - MLB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
3.15 - WR Markus Wheaton, Oregon State
3.20 - CB Leon McFadden, San Diego State
4.9 - OG Alvin Bailey, Arkansas
6.16 - DE Quanterus Smith, Western Kentucky
7.7 - WR Jasper Collins, Mount Union
7.8 - RB Knile Davis, Arkansas
+ An extra 4th next season.

So, what do you guys think? How would you feel if this is how it played out?
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the first three picks. The later picks don't do much for me, but with the first three selections being excellent, I find little to complain about.

Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have 4 starters there.....can't complain about that.

DT, LB, are starters for sure, Bailey likely, and Wheaton has a chance. If you got those four players, I'm not sure if it matters who the others are......
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of any mock with Markus Wheaton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way Smith lasts til the 6th round, IMO, is if he's had a setback from his knee that team medical staffs have seen. He's a 2nd round talent and those type of guys, with injury concerns, tend to go off the board in the 4th round.

See Greg Childs.

Definitely seems like a Spielman draft with all the moving around though. Don't think it would be necessary to move up to New Orleans spot if Richardson is there while they are OTC.
jam8891

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another mock where we WAIT to get a WR. Not a fan
Purplexing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one more trade is needed. Wink

The one thing that I like about it is the positions of need are addressed.
I don't necessarily agree with the particular players you drafted, though.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:

Its only 4 trades, same number Rick made last year.

In Rick We Trust!
Purplexing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Purplexing wrote:

Its only 4 trades, same number Rick made last year.

In Rick We Trust!

Two years ago, the Vikings were talent depleted due to the 'all-in' of 2009, and registered a record of 3-13.

They needed a lot of young players. They got a lot of young players in the 2012 draft.

Last year, the Vikings were 10-6. They don't need a lot of players. They need to use high picks for a few quality players.

I doubt that Spielman will feel the need to add more than 11 draft picks and dilute the talent level at the top of the draft of the current picks by doing so.

I understand that the talent level is increased by trading up to #15. That's only 1 player. The rest of the high picks are reduced relative to the original picks.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
Two years ago, the Vikings were talent depleted due to the 'all-in' of 2009, and registered a record of 3-13.

They needed a lot of young players. They got a lot of young players in the 2012 draft.

Last year, the Vikings were 10-6. They don't need a lot of players. They need to use high picks for a few quality players.

I doubt that Spielman will feel the need to add more than 11 draft picks and dilute the talent level at the top of the draft of the current picks by doing so.

I understand that the talent level is increased by trading up to #15. That's only 1 player. The rest of the high picks are reduced relative to the original picks.

We need a WR (or 2), a LB (or 2), a CB (or 2), a DT, an OL (or 2).

We are still talent depleted. Just maybe not as much as we were last year.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't argue with the picks. Smith and Knile Davis will likely go much highef than yoh have them though. Good presentation.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
vikes635

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this draft overall. Im not huge on the smith pick but at 184 i might be getting picky lol. i dont mind the trade while i would rather stay pat keep our picks and draft sly

Rip Sean Taylor

PROPS TO Joe_is_the_best for the Sig

Adopt A Viking= Kyle Rudolph Rec=5 Targets=10 Drops= Penalties= tot yds=69 TD=1 Lng=21

Pre Season= 4 catches 1 drop 44 yards
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE Richardson

HATE Te'o dude is gonna bust so hard

Joe_is_the_best ^^
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it except for how you addressed the WR position; still not going to help Ponder out much. We need Hunter/Patton/DaRick/Woods/Allen instead

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: