Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

pouncey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rivers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: pouncey Reply with quote

Where would you rank him in the nfl at Center? I don't watch other games much, but I don't understand why the media thinks he is so great.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 5, without a seconds thought about it.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely better than Pouncey:
Mangold, Kalil, Alex Mack, Chris Myers, John Sullivan

same "echelon" as Pouncey:
Mike, Max Unger, Stefan Wisniewski, Eric Wood

so I'd say anywhere from 6-11
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep this in mind; he's been playing in a power scheme of ours and yes, in a theory he should be playing at elite level still but whe facing a strong NT he'll get pushed (Geno Atkins, Kyle Williams, and other names that escaped me at the moment) for examples.

Where there are better fundamentally centers with great technique in this league, Pouncey is probably if not, the most athletic interior lineman in NFL and I think that's why the hype is still bein ridden. Playing in ZBS we should be able to see his true value.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't think Mike Pouncey is better than Maurkice, in fact I don't think any of the 6-11 guys are better than him, but I wouldn't argue with Maurkice being the 6th best C in the NFL.
popie70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
keep this in mind; he's been playing in a power scheme.
This is an excellent point. He has done well in this scheme but if we are truly moving to more of a zone scheme than that could really benefit him. I agree with him in the 6-10 range
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
definitely better than Pouncey:
Mangold, Kalil, Alex Mack, Chris Myers, John Sullivan

same "echelon" as Pouncey:
Mike, Max Unger, Stefan Wisniewski, Eric Wood

so I'd say anywhere from 6-11

Mangold has fallen off. The last 2 years he has been pretty average.

Eric Wood is definitely better than Pouncey at this point.

Mike Pouncey has definitely been better since coming into the league.

Thats not to say Maurkice has been bad, but Mike is just as good in the passing game and MUCH better at run blocking.

Even if Mo isnt amazing, Ill take him over 25 other teams centers. The quality of center leaguewide is very medicore. Id say all but 12 teams have average or worse starting centers....although I havent done an exact check up on that.

Still, Mo still has upside and played under a terrible OLine coach IMO. I hardly seen any progression from our guys under him. Hoping this new guy knows how to develop our young talent.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good points 43. I want to see Wood without Levitre before I can say he's better than Mo
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pouncey gets a lot of flack because of the media hype. I really like Pouncey and really wouldn't take another OC over him. He's been nicked up more then my liking, but he's always surrounded by instability. I don't care what player you are if from one week to the next your OGs are changed your not gonna look as good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give or take, i'd still draft him back in 2009 with same fashion. I can see Pouncey as somebody who will develop more techniques as he age to minimize his declining athleticism but we are talking about like.. 8-10 years later so it was a good situation we have gotten with Pouncey, but I agree with few posts, there is better centers than Pouncey.
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many valid points for why Pouncey is better than he appears.

1. The players he has had on either side of him have ranged from average to terrible. Foster is the best player he has played next to. I'd be shocked if it hasn't had a negative effect on his play by him having to help out his Guards constantly.

2. I'm inclined to think that he is yet to have a coach that is good with technique. I think Kugler's strengths laid in man management not bringing up technique.

Side note: This is the same reason I have faith in Gilbert and also why I look forward to seeing what Adams can do at LT.

3 Played in a scheme not best suited to him. Looking back, the Pouncey selection signalled the beginning of this transition.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Pouncey gets a lot of flack because of the media hype. I really like Pouncey and really wouldn't take another OC over him. He's been nicked up more then my liking, but he's always surrounded by instability. I don't care what player you are if from one week to the next your OGs are changed your not gonna look as good.

He doesnt get flack BECAUSE of media hype....he gets it because some people make him out to be better than he actually is. Not just the media, but fans as well.

Most of the media still treats him like he one of the top 3 centers in the league.

Most fans that dont watch him treat him like he is top 3.

Alex Mack has clearly been better the last 2 years yet Mo still gets more praise.

And while I still have plenty of faith in him and realize its not all him, lets not make excuse after excuse for him. Even with the changing players, he is still weak in the run game and struggles mightily against bigger DTs.

I do agree with the point that if we switch to the ZBS and have a more stable OLine and better coach, Pouncey will improve, but the fact is, thus far, he has not been as great as some have made him out to be. Pro Bowl is a joke, but he certainly hasnt deserved it the last 2 years.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Pouncey. I do feel that he should be better or at least more consistent than what he has shown. Maybe my expectations for him were too high after being taken in the first round but I thought by now he would be a dominant center and at least a top three center in the league. That hasn't happened yet. I would probably put him in the top 5-7 range in the game which isn't bad at all but I definitely feel, with the potential he had coming out, he should be ranked higher than that by now. He's one of the most athletic centers in the game and hopefully, like others have mentioned, a new coach will make him better. Still when it comes to the question marks of the team he isn't close to being one of the main ones at all.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

He doesnt get flack BECAUSE of media hype....he gets it because some people make him out to be better than he actually is. Not just the media, but fans as well.

Most of the media still treats him like he one of the top 3 centers in the league.

Most fans that dont watch him treat him like he is top 3.

Alex Mack has clearly been better the last 2 years yet Mo still gets more praise.

And while I still have plenty of faith in him and realize its not all him, lets not make excuse after excuse for him. Even with the changing players, he is still weak in the run game and struggles mightily against bigger DTs.

I do agree with the point that if we switch to the ZBS and have a more stable OLine and better coach, Pouncey will improve, but the fact is, thus far, he has not been as great as some have made him out to be. Pro Bowl is a joke, but he certainly hasnt deserved it the last 2 years.

A typical fan will always hype Pouncey up because they don't know anything other then what they are fed.

I believe the Steelers inability to find a offensive scheme has hindered Pouncey's growth and his ability to live up to the media fed hype.

It's hard for me to really give Pouncey any negativity because its a team game and his game can be hindered severely by a lack of surrounding talent. Do I believe he could of been better, yes! Am I obsolving him of playing suspect at times, no! But until the Steelers OL stays healthy for at least 90% of the season we'll never know. The thing with Pouncey is that he was young and still is so he isn't even in his prime.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Pouncey has shown a bit of gutlessness, personally. People get on Gilbert for his injury (supposedly soft), yet it turned out to be more serious than fans knew. He left the field for two playoff runs. A tweet from the same night of a playoff defeat he wasn't on the field for...after promoting a rap album right after the game:
“season is over time 2 move on and get better!! What do u do for a living besides bothering me right now and reading my TL #lame"

The "leader" of the OL...

His play on the field is overhyped. He is very athletic, but I never understood the obsession with guys who pull or get to the second level...if they aren't all that great at the line of scrimmage. I think he would be a better fit in a zone scheme.

The real question I have is, how much is he worth when his contract is up? I think he gets a big deal from the Steelers, and I'm not sure his play has warranted it so far.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: