Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Culliver acts like a bonehead.. again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Pandomonium


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 2895
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
Pandomonium wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Pandomonium wrote:
NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
Honestly... who the F cares about his political views, what he thinks of men or women, what kind of education he has, where he is from, or if his skin color is black white blue green or orange... all i care about is can the kid play football at an elite level? Yes. Does the kid work hard? Yes. Does he rise to the occasion? Most of the time yes albeit he had a sub par game in the SB and wasn't as "shut down" later in the season as he was early on. But its not like he was making bonehead plays or anything like that, a lot of the passes completed against him were just perfect passes. There is no defense for a perfect pass. Culliver is still growing as a player and a man, I don't think this will have any effect on his future. No reason to get all uppity about it.

[sarcasm]omg no way a professional athlete used a derogatory word towards women? Let's get him with our pitch forks and torches [/ sarcasm]

Honestly you could say this about Aldon, Anthony Davis, crabs... none of them are bad guys by any means, and they all are superb footballers.

IF YOU ARE A TRUE FAN YOU SUPPORT YOUR PLAYERS YOU DONT TEAR THEM DOWN for no reason. If they struggle on the field that's one thing, but for this? Or what he said before the SB? Its all just background noise getting in the way of the big picture... non issue


When did the world become so politically correct?



I agree man
while i dont like what he's saying, He isnt hurting anyone other than their feelings. Now if they said he was a rapist or woman beater or gay-basher (physically) then I'd say yeah 86 him.

but folks that are talking about getting rid of him because of some stupid stuff he said? get real people and please get outside of your "feelings" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes


... or perhaps some should read the posts in this thread a little more carefully. There is not a single post in this thread by anyone talking about getting rid of him, much less anything even remotely like "crucifying" him. I, for one, have said exactly nothing at all about Culliver. In fact, I have no idea what he actually said. The discussion has been almost exclusively about whether the character of the guys on your favorite team matters to you or not.

Here's an old joke. A man sees a beatiful woman sitting in a bar, goes up to her and asks if she'd have sex with him for a milion dollars. She thnks about it for a moment and says "sure". He hands her a hundred dollar bill and says "let's go" She repsonds by saying "what kind of a women do you think I am?". His response is "we've already established that, now we're just arguing about the price."

How is that relevant, you womder? Well you said you would have a problem with a guy who was a wife beater or who "physically" bashed gays rather thann verbally. And someone else mentioned OJ. I would suggest those are examples of you and the other person actually agreeing that you care about some behavior on the part of the guys on your favorite team. After that it's just a matter of where different people draw the line.

You may think verbally abusine someone isn't "hurting anyone", but I'd suggest you talk to more people that have been verbally abused, and maybe talk to women and gays about how they feel they are treated by men, or by society. Hitting someone physically is most assuredly not the only way to hurt someone.


it is just an indictment of how weak our society has become. "words" are just what they are and pardon me if some folks are just too damned sensitive and whine and cry about feelings all on this thread.

"wah wah wah you hurt my feelings!!!!"

so what? it doesn't make him less of a ball player and that whole role model thing is completely overrated. If your kids look at athletes as role models as far as how to live in this world. then that is an indictment of your crappy parenting period.

again I don't agree with any of the things he says. i just think many of you are whining and being too damned sensitive.

and FYI there's a HUGE difference between someone USING WORDS and PHYSICALLY ASSAULTING someone. You can call me out of my name all day and I can have my feelings hurt but its still JUST WORDS and not one law has been broken. But if you physically accost someone then you are breaking the law and then it needs to be addressed and dealt with.

so in essence your analogy is as irrelevant as clowns at a funeral. But i guess its relevant to you because you're one of those people who love to wear their feeling on their sleeves and are making a big deal about what is really nothing.

when Culliver decides to break laws or jeopardize the team by doing things that will negatively affect his play, then it will become and issue to me and many others on this board. until then this whole thing is a gigantic waste of space.


I understand what big9er is saying about how verbal abuse can be hurtful to people, but I don't accept it. Just my personal opinion. I would never tell someone not to have their own. That's more agregious to me than anything discussed so far.

I completely agree with Pando. We have the same mindset I guess. Words are words for me. In the end if I cannot handle what someone has said to me I feel it's a very true reflection on my shortcomings and my lack of ownership of who and what I believe in.

If someone believes in something they should be able to stand in front of insults and nay sayers without compromise. Unfortunately I too feel we live in an incredibly soft society that helps everyone up every time they get knocked down rather than teaching someone to dust themselves off and fight for their beliefs. Maybe that's why we generate so many people that are followers instead of leaders. But that's so far off topic.

When it comes to what Cully said regarding women and gays....I just honestly don't care. It doesn't bother me if that's how he feels. I'm not going to tell him to not feel that way. It doesn't even bother me that he put it on Instagram. If people disagree or take it as something so callous then don't support him. That's their perogative.

Maybe this makes me a bad person, I would beg to differ, but I just don't have the kind of time to sit and worry about how a comment made by an athlete effects people.



SPOT ON!!!
_________________
Patrick Willis Toilet paper

It's Hard
It's rough
and it doesn take crap off anyone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39972
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:


When it comes to what Cully said regarding women and gays....I just honestly don't care. It doesn't bother me if that's how he feels. I'm not going to tell him to not feel that way. It doesn't even bother me that he put it on Instagram. If people disagree or take it as something so callous then don't support him. That's their perogative.

Maybe this makes me a bad person, I would beg to differ, but I just don't have the kind of time to sit and worry about how a comment made by an athlete effects people.


I haven't really weighed in much on this, but here goes.

I honestly don't care about whichever opinion Cullliver may have either... but... I would much rather him just STFU about openly expressing such opinions. I don't need to think of every player on my team as a golden saint beyond reproach.. but I also see nothing good from running your mouth about issues that will elicit negativity and scorn from the outside.

In other words.. think whatever you want, Culliver... don't curr. But you are in the spotlight, so just STFU about viewpoints that you should be old and aware enough to know are gonna bring about backlash to you +/or the team.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pandomonium


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 2895
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:


When it comes to what Cully said regarding women and gays....I just honestly don't care. It doesn't bother me if that's how he feels. I'm not going to tell him to not feel that way. It doesn't even bother me that he put it on Instagram. If people disagree or take it as something so callous then don't support him. That's their perogative.

Maybe this makes me a bad person, I would beg to differ, but I just don't have the kind of time to sit and worry about how a comment made by an athlete effects people.


I haven't really weighed in much on this, but here goes.

I honestly don't care about whichever opinion Cullliver may have either... but... I would much rather him just STFU about openly expressing such opinions. I don't need to think of every player on my team as a golden saint beyond reproach.. but I also see nothing good from running your mouth about issues that will elicit negativity and scorn from the outside.

In other words.. think whatever you want, Culliver... don't curr. But you are in the spotlight, so just STFU about viewpoints that you should be old and aware enough to know are gonna bring about backlash to you +/or the team.

i concur
_________________
Patrick Willis Toilet paper

It's Hard
It's rough
and it doesn take crap off anyone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clark87


Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Posts: 58
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Clark87 wrote:
I dont need a roll model. My children have their parents and family to model themselves after. What a player does off the field short of what O.J did matters little to me. Their political views or sexual orientation is none of my concern.

All I need to know about them is can they help my beloved 49ers win another Lombardi. If they can then great but if they can't "HIT THE ROAD LOSER".

When I watch a game I see 11 red and gold uniforms running around on the field.Nothing more nothing less.


If you don't recognize that kids look up to rock tars and sports stars, and they DO have an influence, you are missing an important part of this discussion. Parents are a kids biggest influence, but not their only influence - not by a long shot. If I was a paret now I would
not want my child looking up to someone whose values do not represent the ones I am trying
to teach

I'm not saying in this post or my other one that I want him off the team or that I can only accept a team of "good guys" Im merely addressing the question of who in the word
should care about a sports guy's off field behavior. I think the answer is, or ought to be, every parent who has a kid that can be influenced or will be influenced by bad behavior ...



If he takes drugs, why shouldn't I? If he treats women badly, why shouldn't I? Etc.


Well I tell my children " You see that guy in the 49er jersey he is one heck of a player and Im glad he is on our team but he also has a big mouth. He says some really stupid things when he is not on the field. I wouldnt vote for him for President but if he improves on the field then he may get my vote for the Pro Bowl one day" I also tell my children that I believe many of the people on the field would be in prison or working at McDonalds if they didnt have the Athletic ability god gave them.
If your going to allow your children to grow up only being influenced by the media then
dont expect much out of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clark87


Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Posts: 58
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Clark87 wrote:
I dont need a roll model. My children have their parents and family to model themselves after. What a player does off the field short of what O.J did matters little to me. Their political views or sexual orientation is none of my concern.

All I need to know about them is can they help my beloved 49ers win another Lombardi. If they can then great but if they can't "HIT THE ROAD LOSER".

When I watch a game I see 11 red and gold uniforms running around on the field.Nothing more nothing less.


If you don't recognize that kids look up to rock tars and sports stars, and they DO have an influence, you are missing an important part of this discussion. Parents are a kids biggest influence, but not their only influence - not by a long shot. If I was a paret now I would
not want my child looking up to someone whose values do not represent the ones I am trying
to teach

I'm not saying in this post or my other one that I want him off the team or that I can only accept a team of "good guys" Im merely addressing the question of who in the word
should care about a sports guy's off field behavior. I think the answer is, or ought to be, every parent who has a kid that can be influenced or will be influenced by bad behavior ...



If he takes drugs, why shouldn't I? If he treats women badly, why shouldn't I? Etc.


Well I tell my children " You see that guy in the 49er jersey he is one heck of a player and Im glad he is on our team but he also has a big mouth. He says some really stupid things when he is not on the field. I wouldnt vote for him for President but if he improves on the field then he may get my vote for the Pro Bowl one day" I also tell my children that I believe many of the people on the field would be in prison or working at McDonalds if they didnt have the Athletic ability god gave them.
If your going to allow your children to grow up only being influenced by the media then
dont expect much out of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clarkfn2284


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 3202
Location: Modesto,CA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:


When it comes to what Cully said regarding women and gays....I just honestly don't care. It doesn't bother me if that's how he feels. I'm not going to tell him to not feel that way. It doesn't even bother me that he put it on Instagram. If people disagree or take it as something so callous then don't support him. That's their perogative.

Maybe this makes me a bad person, I would beg to differ, but I just don't have the kind of time to sit and worry about how a comment made by an athlete effects people.


I haven't really weighed in much on this, but here goes.

I honestly don't care about whichever opinion Cullliver may have either... but... I would much rather him just STFU about openly expressing such opinions. I don't need to think of every player on my team as a golden saint beyond reproach.. but I also see nothing good from running your mouth about issues that will elicit negativity and scorn from the outside.

In other words.. think whatever you want, Culliver... don't curr. But you are in the spotlight, so just STFU about viewpoints that you should be old and aware enough to know are gonna bring about backlash to you +/or the team.


I agree with you, but the thin is that this is a perfect world scenario and we all know its far from that. Maybe not even perfect...moreso ideal? even then i just kind of have a hard time seeing guys being that disciplined
_________________
NextBigThing wrote:
rice wasn't close to do as good as his stats would lead one to assume


okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39972
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:


I agree with you, but the thin is that this is a perfect world scenario and we all know its far from that. Maybe not even perfect...moreso ideal? even then i just kind of have a hard time seeing guys being that disciplined


Just talking as if WE had some real say in it.. but it would be made as ideal as I could manage. In other words, after the first "incident" with Cullliver? I, as his employer would tell him to shut it. (Goodell or Baalke) "Culliver... I like you, and you have a promising NFL future... but you are in the spotlight now and paid well to be... so keep this stuff to yourself, or you will be out on yer arse."

... and that's it. Perhaps there would be no second "incident."
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clarkfn2284


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 3202
Location: Modesto,CA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:


I agree with you, but the thin is that this is a perfect world scenario and we all know its far from that. Maybe not even perfect...moreso ideal? even then i just kind of have a hard time seeing guys being that disciplined


Just talking as if WE had some real say in it.. but it would be made as ideal as I could manage. In other words, after the first "incident" with Cullliver? I, as his employer would tell him to shut it. (Goodell or Baalke) "Culliver... I like you, and you have a promising NFL future... but you are in the spotlight now and paid well to be... so keep this stuff to yourself, or you will be out on yer arse."

... and that's it. Perhaps there would be no second "incident."


They might very well have told him to shut it....I dont know. I would imagine that they would have. A lot of the time these guys have a hard time adjusting to the fcat that they are followed on these social media sites by a ton of people. I mean one day they are leaving college and are small fish then suddenly they are big fish and under that microscope. no excuse for it, but sometimes people can be extremely slow to grasp that.
_________________
NextBigThing wrote:
rice wasn't close to do as good as his stats would lead one to assume


okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group