Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Culliver acts like a bonehead.. again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedWhiteNGold

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idealism is great, but you can't build an entire championship roster with heroes and role models by the standards I'm hearing here. Your best players need to be those guys, as that sets the tone of the team and they catch the most media exposure...but you can't expect every 22 year-old who walks through the door to have only clean edges and maturity beyond his years. It is up to the coaches and leaders of the team to set the young guys straight and teach them the game behind the curtain. We can all agree that Cully is dumb, but for my part I would rather have an honest fool on the team than an intelligent false-idol who we find dirt on later.

This isn't the first time a 22-24 year old has said some stupid stuff thinking it's cool or the norm. We can't pretend to hold everyone to the same ideals good parents teach their children because we have no idea how their environment shaped their views. My questions are:

Mature or not, is he a good person? Can he grow into a better one? Can he play ball?

We will find out in time, but I can't say no to any of them at this point.
Cali2Wisco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
Honestly... who the F cares about his political views, what he thinks of men or women, what kind of education he has, where he is from, or if his skin color is black white blue green or orange... all i care about is can the kid play football at an elite level? Yes. Does the kid work hard? Yes. Does he rise to the occasion? Most of the time yes albeit he had a sub par game in the SB and wasn't as "shut down" later in the season as he was early on. But its not like he was making bonehead plays or anything like that, a lot of the passes completed against him were just perfect passes. There is no defense for a perfect pass. Culliver is still growing as a player and a man, I don't think this will have any effect on his future. No reason to get all uppity about it.

[sarcasm]omg no way a professional athlete used a derogatory word towards women? Let's get him with our pitch forks and torches [/ sarcasm]

Honestly you could say this about Aldon, Anthony Davis, crabs... none of them are bad guys by any means, and they all are superb footballers.

IF YOU ARE A TRUE FAN YOU SUPPORT YOUR PLAYERS YOU DONT TEAR THEM DOWN for no reason. If they struggle on the field that's one thing, but for this? Or what he said before the SB? Its all just background noise getting in the way of the big picture... non issue

When did the world become so politically correct?

Literally the worst post I have ever come across on this site. How about the fact that these guys are role models to children?

kiltman on the sig
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali2Wisco wrote:
NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
Honestly... who the F cares about his political views, what he thinks of men or women, what kind of education he has, where he is from, or if his skin color is black white blue green or orange... all i care about is can the kid play football at an elite level? Yes. Does the kid work hard? Yes. Does he rise to the occasion? Most of the time yes albeit he had a sub par game in the SB and wasn't as "shut down" later in the season as he was early on. But its not like he was making bonehead plays or anything like that, a lot of the passes completed against him were just perfect passes. There is no defense for a perfect pass. Culliver is still growing as a player and a man, I don't think this will have any effect on his future. No reason to get all uppity about it.

[sarcasm]omg no way a professional athlete used a derogatory word towards women? Let's get him with our pitch forks and torches [/ sarcasm]

Honestly you could say this about Aldon, Anthony Davis, crabs... none of them are bad guys by any means, and they all are superb footballers.

IF YOU ARE A TRUE FAN YOU SUPPORT YOUR PLAYERS YOU DONT TEAR THEM DOWN for no reason. If they struggle on the field that's one thing, but for this? Or what he said before the SB? Its all just background noise getting in the way of the big picture... non issue

When did the world become so politically correct?

Literally the worst post I have ever come across on this site. How about the fact that these guys are role models to children?

When I was a child I watched the 49ers on TV with my older brother, but that was about it. I started getting into reading about and investigating draft prospects when I was around 14 or 15 years old. At that point I think a football player saying something unwholesome should be the least of a persons worries, especially with what all other sorts of entertainers are spewing out. I understand that people are upset with this, and maybe times have changed and 10 year old kids are following him on twitter and instagram (neither of which existed when I was a child) but to me it comes down to this: There is and always will be "negative role models" in this world who say way worse things than what he said, and it's up to the people around these children to steer them in the right direction.

Now before you tear this post apart, I'm not condoning what he said nor do I approve of it. I agree that he should think before he publishes this stuff all over internet, but honestly there are far worse people in this league than Chris Culliver. This is the NFL, not a country club. He isn't breaking the law (Dez Bryant) or the rules of the NFL (Joe Haden). He just needs to realize what is appropriate and what is not.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
SFaithful97

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If kids look up to his athleticism that is great. They should strive to play hard, work hard and make it to the NFL one day if that is their dream. That said, if kids are getting their morality from sports and the players they watch (and see essentially nothing of them in their personal lives) then that falls on bad parenting. It is a parents responsibility to raise kids right, and instill the morals they agree with in their children. I don't like this passing the buck BS of calling athletes role models. It is an excuse for [inappropriate/removed] parents to pass the buck for their own shortfalls as parents.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
If kids look up to his athleticism that is great. They should strive to play hard, work hard and make it to the NFL one day if that is their dream. That said, if kids are getting their morality from sports and the players they watch (and see essentially nothing of them in their personal lives) then that falls on bad parenting. It is a parents responsibility to raise kids right, and instill the morals they agree with in their children. I don't like this passing the buck BS of calling athletes role models. It is an excuse for [inappropriate/removed] parents to pass the buck for their own shortfalls as parents.

Bingo!!

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a young kid himself. He just brought locker room and his personal bizz out in the open. Not smart. You live and you learn. Everybody that is up in arms about this has either never been in a locker room, a hypocrite, or just taking idealism to an extreme.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
adamq

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't care as long as he performs on field.. its politicsand nobody is changing anyone else's mind

-kiltman

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'd rather have Tebow than any other QB in the NFL besides Rodgers, and I may even take him over Rodgers due to the difference in age.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:

As a child, my mother prevented me from being exposed to poor role models as children are highly-influenced by their heroes regardless of what a parent might want. She removed influences she found to be poor so that way it was her parenting that would serve as my moral influence above anything else. As a parent, I would choose to do the same. So if a football player on a child's favorite team is perceived to be a poor influence, then yes - that is a problem.

To me - it's fine that people are okay with this, as that's their own personal opinion. But you have to be just as okay with people who now think less of the guy.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:

As a child, my mother prevented me from being exposed to poor role models as children are highly-influenced by their heroes regardless of what a parent might want. She removed influences she found to be poor so that way it was her parenting that would serve as my moral influence above anything else. As a parent, I would choose to do the same. So if a football player on a child's favorite team is perceived to be a poor influence, then yes - that is a problem.

To me - it's fine that people are okay with this, as that's their own personal opinion. But you have to be just as okay with people who now think less of the guy.

This. It's all a matter of perception. Purely from a football stand point I don't think any moves need to be made as far as Culliver is concerned. Management might sit down with him and have a long talk concerning his social media though.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
Clark87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont need a roll model. My children have their parents and family to model themselves after. What a player does off the field short of what O.J did matters little to me. Their political views or sexual orientation is none of my concern.

All I need to know about them is can they help my beloved 49ers win another Lombardi. If they can then great but if they can't "HIT THE ROAD LOSER".

When I watch a game I see 11 red and gold uniforms running around on the field.Nothing more nothing less.
P-Willy52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares, its evident hes not a bright individual. My only issue, it that he continues to improve as a football player, what he says off the field is totally irrelevant.

1-0
John232

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did the world become so politically correct? Wat. It happened after we built a country on the backs of slaves then refused to give them their due rights until roughly, about 1954. So on and so forth.

Political correctness in a business is an absolute necessity, to suggest otherwise is total ignorance. In academia and politics political correctness can prevent dialogue. But I digress.

Long post.

I don't think anyone expects NFL players to be saints. For example, if a player wants to go picket planned parent hood on his saturdays in the off-season, that hits the press and ish hits the fan. I'll support his right to do that and his opinion and protect him. But I certainly don't agree with him and I would not think highly of him for having such an opinion. In other words, I'd have no justified motive to get rid of him. If a player wants to go out and get wasted(a la gronk) an screw everything with a hole then so be it. I'd lose some respect for his ability to choose, but is it harmless? if so then it's fine with me.

Now, if a player wants to start using derogatory terms and then be dumb enough to let it leak to the press then I'm going to pretty irritated. On top of already openly admitting his bigotry and inability to be a role model and an accepting teammate would be a very difficult thing for me to tolerate.

Furthermore, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be held to high standards as men. When you put on the red and gold, you represent our team on and off the field AT ALL TIMES. So When Chris Culliver speaks, it would be easy for the media to take something he says and pin it as a *49er* culturel "thing". Now I don't think thats the case because of our sterling reputation within the league. But it's something we shouldn't have to deal with. Also, it's just stupid. How can he be so god damn stupid. IT literally blows my mind he can be that idiotic and achieved this much in his life.

I like Chris as a player, but if I was his boss and I was having to constantly put up with his crap, he better be playing at a pro-bowl level or else he becomes expendable.

xsaMainevent on the sig
Ronnie's Pinky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culliver needs to learn to be more disciplined about keeping his personal life personal, understanding that the spotlight is on him, and behaving accordingly in public. I don't care about his private opinions, however ignorant I may find them. A lot of young athletes are knuckleheads. Aldon doesn't strike me as a Rhodes scholar either, but who cares? I'd be surprised if Harbaugh and the leaders on this team can't straighten him out. This is not a big deal.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
Culliver needs to learn to be more disciplined about keeping his personal life personal, understanding that the spotlight is on him, and behaving accordingly in public. I don't care about his private opinions, however ignorant I may find them. A lot of young athletes are knuckleheads. Aldon doesn't strike me as a Rhodes scholar either, but who cares? I'd be surprised if Harbaugh and the leaders on this team can't straighten him out. This is not a big deal.

Wrestling fan?

And lastly - we have to watch where this topic goes. Let's not discuss the history of political correctness or that concept in its current form. Leave the topic about Culliver and not morality please.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Wrestling fan?

And lastly - we have to watch where this topic goes. Let's not discuss the history of political correctness or that concept in its current form. Leave the topic about Culliver and not morality please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: