Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fed Officials seize control of Pilot Flying J HQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
just like I didn't care about Lerner's soccer fetish.

Good for you, but the same can not be legitimately said for a lot of people

A lot of folks care about a lot of things that have little to nothing to do with anything. Not much I can do about that.

If you can provide even one instance where his preference in entertainment led to a Cleveland Browns win or loss, I'd be happy to play along, but until then this appears to me as nothing more than folks with too much time on their hands looking for a reason why the Browns sucked other than the team just not being very good.

I never said I agreed. If you'll recall I defended Lerner on more than one occasion. However, the logic is this; distracted owner leads to poor management and supervision, which leads to-

Carmen Policy vs Butch Davis
Romeo vs Phil
Phil vs Browns fans who should go root for Buffalo
Eric Mangini vs George Kokinis (w/Dawn Aponte?)
Eric Mangini vs Walrus
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
just like I didn't care about Lerner's soccer fetish.

Good for you, but the same can not be legitimately said for a lot of people

A lot of folks care about a lot of things that have little to nothing to do with anything. Not much I can do about that.

If you can provide even one instance where his preference in entertainment led to a Cleveland Browns win or loss, I'd be happy to play along, but until then this appears to me as nothing more than folks with too much time on their hands looking for a reason why the Browns sucked other than the team just not being very good.

I never said I agreed. If you'll recall I defended Lerner on more than one occasion. However, the logic is this; distracted owner leads to poor management and supervision, which leads to-

Carmen Policy vs Butch Davis
Romeo vs Phil
Phil vs Browns fans who should go root for Buffalo
Eric Mangini vs George Kokinis (w/Dawn Aponte?)
Eric Mangini vs Walrus

The same can be said for a guy who is simply in over his head.

Randy Lerner could have built his residence next to the Berea complex and bled orange and brown and still made crappy choices. See: Davis, Al.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Ether

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
I guess I'm not overly concerned...yet.

Guys like Haslam rarely, if ever, get their arse handed to them legally. They've got top shelf law firms and the proper connections for most legal issues to work themselves out.

Haslam's company may get hit hard, but it'll be fine. Haslam may get a slap on the wrist (heavy fines) but he'll more than likely never see the inside of a jail cell.

While all of this looks bad now, I'm guessing it'll blow over soon enough.

I'd agree if he was getting taken to court by some angry customer, but this is the federal government. This isn't the guilded age anymore.
Entropy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:

Guys like Haslam rarely, if ever, get their arse handed to them legally. They've got top shelf law firms and the proper connections for most legal issues to work themselves out.

Haslam's company may get hit hard, but it'll be fine. Haslam may get a slap on the wrist (heavy fines) but he'll more than likely never see the inside of a jail cell.

I'd agree if he was getting taken to court by some angry customer, but this is the federal government. This isn't the guilded age anymore.

Are you saying that because the federal government is involved, Haslam's not a billionaire with entire law firms on retainer and powerful connections?

And really, this is all about money, Haslam has a lot more than he 'fleeced'. Fines and sanctions are the likely resolution to this problem.

What I find surprising is how much of the evidence has been made public. Anyone else find that interesting?

Maybe someone else wants to become the #1 diesel fuel supplier in the country and fleece the smaller trucking companies.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Ether wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:

Are you saying that because the federal government is involved, Haslam's not a billionaire with entire law firms on retainer and powerful connections?

And really, this is all about money, Haslam has a lot more than he 'fleeced'. Fines and sanctions are the likely resolution to this problem.

What I find surprising is how much of the evidence has been made public. Anyone else find that interesting?

Maybe someone else wants to become the #1 diesel fuel supplier in the country and fleece the smaller trucking companies.
When the feds do something with this much publicity they are trying to send a message. If they wanted to fine Haslem and co. they would have done just that. The only come after people with this much force when they have the evidence and know they can send people to prison. I don't doubt that Halsem has the finances and legal team to stall this for a long time, but if I were a betting man I would wager that someone if not most of the players involved in this scandal will end up in federal prison. It will be really interesting to see how this all plays out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a part at me that wonders how much of the FF taboo subject has to do with this? It's not like the country isn't polarized right now. Confused

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
bruceb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
There is a part at me that wonders how much of the FF taboo subject has to do with this? It's not like the country isn't polarized right now. Confused

The country is polarized about the Browns?
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

The country is polarized about the Browns?
No, about the taboo subject I didn't mention Wink

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the time to read through all these pages and the locked thread.

Can someone catch me up on this mess?

please and thanks.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:

please and thanks.

Jimmy kept $150,000 in rebates owed to smaller based trucking companies, or something like that. He may be screwed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:

please and thanks.

To sum up, FBI and IRS locked down Pilot-Flying J. Seized stuff under at least 4 search warrants. All revolves around alleged fraud involving rebate payments. Company allegedly had a system that allowed them to manipulate rebate amounts to smaller customers. Allegedly did. Haslam allegedly knew all about it. Big talk is wire/mail fraud. Real issues seem to be: Did company take deductions on rebates it didn't pay? Did customers not declare rebates as income. In other words, what's the best way to get more "revenue" in the federal coffers.
Entropy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Ether wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:

When the feds do something with this much publicity they are trying to send a message. If they wanted to fine Haslem and co. they would have done just that. The only come after people with this much force when they have the evidence and know they can send people to prison. I don't doubt that Halsem has the finances and legal team to stall this for a long time, but if I were a betting man I would wager that someone if not most of the players involved in this scandal will end up in federal prison. It will be really interesting to see how this all plays out.

Force? Stop with the hyperbole.

All that's happening is conjecture and hyperbole...most of it inaccurate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
bulldog wrote:

please and thanks.

Jimmy kept $150,000 in rebates owed to smaller based trucking companies, or something like that. He may be screwed.

Actually it appears that the money was going to the salesmen, as a boost to their commission for the sales.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a strong chance this could significantly hurt his companies image, damage his business, and thus his cash position couldnt it?

Fortunately I'd imagine a gas/convenience store business is relatively inelastic for this sort of issue, but still it doesnt seem good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
Quote:
Appearing on SportsCenter Friday morning, ESPN's Ed Werder reported the NFL is "downplaying the seriousness of the allegations" against Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, and is expecting a full exoneration.

It doesn't appear the league will be asking Haslam to "step aside," as some speculated earlier Friday. The FBI clearly thinks it has a serious case against the trucking company mogul, but things are likely to develop slowly following Thursday's allegations. Haslam has yet to be charged with a crime. Regardless of Haslam's innocence or guilt, the case will remain a major distraction for a league that loathes them until its resolution.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51596498/ns/sports-player_news/

Of course the league has no plans to ask him to step down. They likely dont have anywhere near all the info, not to mention no charges have been filed.........yet.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: