Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

10 Steelers who must step up this year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: 10 Steelers who must step up this year Reply with quote

I have a list of 10 steelers who must step up this year if this team is going to make a run at the playoffs, what's yours? Any additions, subtractions?

1. Lamarr Woodley.

When Lamarr Woodley is healthy and motivated he is one of the best 3-4 OLBs in the NFL. The past few seasons though Woodley has seemed to lose his drive, focus, work ethic and hasn't been able to stay healthy as a result. If the Steelers defense is going to get back to the way it played at the end of last decade, Lamarr Woodley is going to have to step up and be the dominant player we all know he can be. We need for him to return to the double digit sack guy who terrorized offenses in many different ways.

2. Marcus Gilbert.

Marcus Gilbert had an average rookie season as a RT two years ago when he was forced into the line up due to Willie Colon's injury. Last year was supposed to be his year to establish himself as a starter but he got injured and never got a chance to do so. So he must step up this season and prove he can be the player the Steelers thought they were getting in the second round of the draft.

3. Mike Adams.

Mike Adams was drafted in the second round of last years draft and was expected to come in and challenge for a starting spot at one of the tackle spots. Adams struggled in the beginning of the season. When Gilbert went down with injury, Adams got his chance to play and prove himself again. He flashed some ability but still struggled to be the player the Steelers thought they were getting in round 2. Much like Gilbert, Adams has the talent and ability to be a starter in the league, they each just have to develop the work ethic to take the next step and solidify their spots. They must both be key factors in the run game and keep Ben clean in the passing game. If they can do so this season, I expect the steelers to have a much more consistent offense and to have found a young pair of bookend tackles.

4. Emmanuel Sanders.

As a slot guy he had 44 recs, 626 yds and a TD last season. He must break out and have a season near 70 recs, 1000 yds and 5+ TDs for this passing offense to be successful.

5. Jason Worilds.

Worilds has been stuck just getting spot duty since he was drafted because he was playing behind an all pro in Harrison and a pro bowl talent in Woodley. Now with Harrison gone, it's Worilds "put up or shut up time!" He's started 10 games in his career and has had 10 sacks. I think he projects better to the left side, going against RTs, rather than LTs. I see Woodley transitioning to the ROLB position because he's the better player at this point. Last season Worilds managed 5 sacks in spot duty. In order for this pass rush to be successful Worilds must play more consistent and approach 10 sacks with 50 tackles. If Worilds does that in his first year as a Defensive starter, the Steelers may have found their next star OLB.

6. Cortez Allen.

The Steelers must find a player to replace the departed Keenan Lewis. Cortez Allen is the next man up. Allen has displayed the ability to play all on the outside and slot at a consistent level. He is a guy with good coverage skills and can make the big play when needed. Allen has proven to be a guy that doesn’t make a lot of mental errors.

7. David Decastro.

David DeCastro's knee injury last year derailed most of his rookie season. The steelers need Decastro to step up this year and be a dominant run blocker. The running game hasn't been the the same since the days of Alan Faneca and Jerome Bettis. The need to DeCastro to step and be the mauler in the run game they've been missing for years. Getting him back healthy for this season is like having an extra 1st round pick.

8. Cameron Heyward.

Heyward has flashed just like Worilds and he has been stuck playing back up duty behind Keisel, their best DE since he was drafted. Keisel has gotten long in the tooth though and isn't the same player he was a few years ago. Ziggy hood has been an average DE for the Steelers but he has never wowed anyone since the steelers drafted him.The steelers need Heyward to step up, be more consistent and play more snaps at both positons and start to be the force along the DL the Steelers thought they were getting when they took him in the first round.

9. David Paulson.

With Heath Miller likely to be sidelined to start the season or even start the year on the PUP list, the steelers need Paulson to step up and be more consistent as a run blocker and pass receiver. Paulson has talent as a receiver. He is a player who can make a difference in the passing game. He is a balanced talent like Miller and can be effective in either role.

10. Curtis Brown. When Curtis Brown was selected on the 3rd round of the 2011 NFL draft he was expected to eventually develop into a corner who would push for a starting positon. He began his rookiw year in 2011 showing some promise It hasn't happened yet. He has been injuried and inconsistent since the Steelers drafted him. Brown still has the talent, he just need to stay healthy, work harder and remain positive and focused. Some have written Curtis Brown off, but I wouldn't do that just yet. Brown is Still only 24 years old and he shouldn't be forgotten about. If Brown can stay healthy he could show the flashes he showed before his injury in 2011.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben should be at number 1, and you dont even have him in your top 10?

Ben needs to show he is growing into this offense and becoming more of a leader. If he doesnt do that, the team will go nowhere.

1. Ben
2. The Carpenter
3. Whoever plays LT (Adams/Gilbert/rookie?)
4. Whoever plays NT
5. Tez
6. Manny Sanders
7. Jason Worlids
8. Whoever starts at TE
9. Pouncey
10. DeCastro
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually really like your list. Id substitute Big Ben into Cortez spot. I wouldn't say step up, as much as play as well as he already has. Same with Big Ben, step up to where he was beginning of last year, but he stumbled late in year, which is why he'd be on the list. No doubt though, Hibernator City should be #1. Carpenter?? More like Carpenter Sleeping on the Job. Also, CB as a need is a joke. I kind of forgot about Curtis Brown. Taylor-Allen-Brown-Gay-Victorian-DVD. I don't mind that group currently.

Edit: good call 43, Pouncey should be on the list. Too inconsistent and needs to show more power. So, replace Pouncey with Mike Adams Turtle, and I'd totally agree with your list with him and Big Ben added and taking out Mike and Cortez.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Ben needs to show he is growing into this offense and becoming more of a leader. If he doesnt do that, the team will go nowhere.

1. Ben
2. The Carpenter
4. Whoever plays NT
5. Tez
6. Manny Sanders
7. Jason Worlids
8. Whoever starts at TE
9. Pouncey
10. DeCastro
i didn't include Ben because he's established and played well last year considering his injury. I went with young players. Different strategy in what I was thinking. I can't argue with your point though. It's true.

Who's the carpenter? Woodley?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bucksoh1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

1. Ben
2. The Carpenter
4. Whoever plays NT
5. Tez
6. Manny Sanders
7. Jason Worlids
8. Whoever starts at TE
9. Pouncey
10. DeCastro

Just wondering what your gripe was with Ben last year pre-injury? I thought he was finally for once was doing well. Also not sure how A.B. is not included on these lists he has to step up for this offense.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

Duh! Wink

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Antonio Brown - The Steelers passing game will have to go through him. It was said before that Antonio Brown games was dependent on Mike Wallace ability to draw coverage. Brown will have to take on a #1 role and steady the passing game with Miller on the mend and the RB situation in question

2. Troy Polamalu - With the departure of the only other playmaker on defense. Troy will have to remain healthy and make the plays that we all know and love. Troy ability to make makes in the secondary will go along way in relieving pressure on the defense

3. Johnathan Dwyer - Last season he was given every chance to become the lead dog. But continued to show he wasn't ready, hungry or motivated to take on a #1 role. This season he's been relatively quiet and how he shows up to camp will go a long way in deciding his future with the team.

4. Mike Tomlin - He has to re-established the Steelers identity and return this team to the tough minded it team it once was. I believe the teams loss leaders has effected the teams mindset and play. The Steelers have to believe they are the more dominant team in mind and play. If a player isn't holding up his end of the bargain then he needs to be reassured why the NFL stands for "Not For Long"

5. Big Ben - Last season he started out on fire and after the injury he wasn't the same. The Steelers are going to need a repeat of the first 8 or so games, but maintained for the entire season. Big Ben only has a handful of years left. If he wants to surpass Bradshaw he'llhave to lead this team even if he has to drag them.

6. Maurkice Pouncey - Needs to take the offensive line to a new level. has to challenge his teammates along the OL as it can be the deciding factor in how well the offense produces this season. He's been injured quite a bit and needs to stay healthy.

7. Alameda Ta'amu - He's had a rocky start to his career, but can easily make amends by player well. He has the size and ability to be a very good 3 down DL. He could help solidify the Steelers 30 front for the next 8+ yrs.

8. Curtis Brown - The Steelers drafted Brown because he had amazing speed in the short distance area. Which would lend one to believe he'd be a very good player in the slot. He hasn't lived up to the expectations and this is his finally year to show he's capable. He's getting some competition with the addition of Gay, so we'll see what competition does for him also.

9. Lawrence Timmons - Played great last year, but he has to continue to prove he's capbable of playing 16 games at a All Pro level. The Steelers need another playmaker on defense and it's about time Timmons becomes more then just a borderline superstar.

10. Marcus Gilbert/Mike Adams - Both these players have to earn their stripes this season. It's important for these two to play well and keep the running along with the passing game going smoothly. Both were injured last year so it's important that they stay healthy this season.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Duh! Wink

Man... you guys are such trolls... Laughing I remember being the first to call him that a long time ago and everyone thought it was so stupid. Looks like it was catchy after all Laughing
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucksoh1 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

1. Ben
2. The Carpenter
4. Whoever plays NT
5. Tez
6. Manny Sanders
7. Jason Worlids
8. Whoever starts at TE
9. Pouncey
10. DeCastro

Just wondering what your gripe was with Ben last year pre-injury? I thought he was finally for once was doing well. Also not sure how A.B. is not included on these lists he has to step up for this offense.

I never got the feeling he totally bought into the offense, but was instead just "playing along".

While he did play well early on in the year, most of that was against bad defenses and there were times where he showed he was very uncomfortable conforming to the new style where they werent always looking for the big play.

On top of that, he whined to the papers a few times about not liking the offense, and that IMO was just vintage Ben....and not the on field vintage Ben. The off field one that has to create drama over every little thing. That is not the sign of a leader. If he wants to be a leader, he needs to grow up and keep any issues with the playcalling IN HOUSE. Blabbing to the media only makes things worse. You think he would realize that by now.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Jason Worilds - He's got a large amount of doubters and a small amount who actually believe in him. If he fails at ROLB he'll be cut next offseason, you can bank on it. He has to step up and prove he deserves the opportunity he's been given, maybe for a lack of options.

2. LaMarr Woodley - it is a proven fact, all you have to do is tune into the games, that when Woodley struggles the defense struggles. He was fat and lazy this season, in 2013 he needs to pull his head out of his backside and get his s**t together.

3. THE ENTIRE OFFENSIVE LINE - It's time to stop keeping the bench warm and start protecting your QB.

4. Heyward - it's time they give him the reigns and he needs to prove he deserves them and wasn't just a wasted 1st round pick.

5. Jonathan Dwyer - Our running game last season sucked. Unless we come out of this draft with a legit running back (Bell, Lattimore, a hidden gem?) he is what we have to rely on.. He needs to prove himself reliable.

6. Antonio Brown/Emmanuel Sanders - they both need to step up, the entire receiving Corps, including Wallace, was garbage last year. They were pathetically inconsistent. They're our #1 & #2 WR this season, they need to prove that they should be.

7. Cortez Allen - I believe he's going to be a great Corner, he's got be really good though, he's got big-ish shoes to fill.

8. Curtis Brown - C'mon man...WIN the Nickel spot, because if you don't, if you can't, this is your last season as a Steeler, that I almost guarantee.

9. Maurkice Pouncey - We need a leader on that offensive line, he's gotta be that guy. He's gotta lead that line and keep them on the same page.

10. The Coaching Staff (yep I went off the reservation here) - The Coaching staff, specifically Mike Tomlin made some seriously questionable decisions last season on 4th down, 2 pt attempts (or not), etc. When the game starts the decision making has to be better, smarter, more on key with the situations they are facing. It has to be to win the game, not to 'not lose the game'.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't do a top 10, but pretty much, our entire rookie class form last year.

I firmly believe that a big reason we were mediocre last year is due to the lack production from our draft class. When your 5th Rd pick gives your team the most production, that's a problem.

DD-injured
Adams-injured
Spence-injured
Ta'amu-idiot
Rainey-production, then idiot

That's not good. Then add to the fact that Heyward has yet to hit his stride, along with Hood, that gives up ONE productive 1st Rd pick in the past 4 classes. 2nd Rd you say? 2009, none, 2010-Worilds, 2011- Gilbert, 2012-Adams...not a solid contributer out of the bunch...yet.

I'm not dogging the players, per se, but if we can get a return on investment from just 4-5 out of all those, we become instantly better, but when we have to continue to trot out guys like Keisel, Foote, Legs, etc., we aren't getting any real fresh talent, and that's the biggest problem we face, in my book. If we get production from them AND a couple of this year's draft picks, we'll be in pretty good shape to contend.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:

I firmly believe that a big reason we were mediocre last year is due to the lack production from our draft class. When your 5th Rd pick gives your team the most production, that's a problem.

DD-injured
Adams-injured
Spence-injured
Ta'amu-idiot

That's not good. Then add to the fact that Heyward has yet to hit his stride, along with Hood, that gives up ONE productive 1st Rd pick in the past 4 classes. 2nd Rd you say? 2009, none, 2010-Worilds, 2011- Gilbert, 2012-Adams...not a solid contributer out of the bunch...yet.

I'm not dogging the players, per se, but if we can get a return on investment from just 4-5 out of all those, we become instantly better, but when we have to continue to trot out guys like Keisel, Foote, Legs, etc., we aren't getting any real fresh talent, and that's the biggest problem we face, in my book. If we get production from them AND a couple of this year's draft picks, we'll be in pretty good shape to contend.

This is the biggest reason it bothers me when people get so bent out of shape when anyone criticizes the Front Office. They are clearly not doing a good enough job on scouting talent considering some of the biggest producing players in the NFL in recent history, have been within reach of the Steelers when they've chosen to select someone else..who hasn't been productive. 2 Examples, Navorro Bowman & Sean Lee.

Perhaps they felt those guys didn't fit what they wanted in an ILB, alright, fair enough. But you can't keep making excuses for a Front Office that isn't coming away from the draft with guys that are producing on a regular basis. To have 2 former 1st round selections that have yet to really take the next step in production..heck Heyward hasn't even taken his first step, that's a major problem. That sets you back AT LEAST 2 seasons, probably more because you can't fill other holes since you'd have to replace those guys, hypothetically.

It could be argued that we're on the verge of becoming a parity team. However, I don't believe that to be true. I think we have a solid core of guys on offense, I think we've got to rebuild the defense. Yes, I said rebuild, because we have NOTHING behind our two starting Safeties that I see promise in and our LB depth is just sad. Who knows what'll come our Defensive line, it used to be our strongest point on defense.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@WW: Im sorry, but I totally disagree with your post. Did you criticize the FO when we made the picks? As I recall, most people thought the draft from last year went really well. Only people criticize it after the fact. Then, you go on how the scouting department for us is [inappropriate/removed] poor, then say Heyward hasn't played many snaps in his career. Is the scouting department supposed to be the Defensive Coordinator too?? That's all on Lebeau / Mitchell.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:

DD-injured
Adams-injured
Spence-injured
Ta'amu-idiot

yes! See this was the direction I was heading in as well. We need the young guys to take that next step this season if this team is going to improve on last years .500 record.

I mean its obvious we need the vets to stay healthy and consistent but more importantly we need these young guys we've drafted in the past few drafts to come through for us and replace some of the players we lost this offseason.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
@WW: Im sorry, but I totally disagree with your post. Did you criticize the FO when we made the picks? As I recall, most people thought the draft from last year went really well. Only people criticize it after the fact. Then, you go on how the scouting department for us is [inappropriate/removed] poor, then say Heyward hasn't played many snaps in his career. Is the scouting department supposed to be the Defensive Coordinator too?? That's all on Lebeau / Mitchell.
.... They haven't done much because they've been back ups. That's why I say it's time for them to step up and perform since a lot of these guys aren't going to be back ups this year and if they are they'll be a player who will get a lot of snaps.

You can't always put it on the coaches either, a lot of it is on the player himself. This is the pros not college, players have to learn from their coaches but its more on themselves to do the extra work to make this elf productive starters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: