Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

50 years of Viking Drafts. The BEST and the WORST picks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
I'm treating this exercise as an indictment on the people doing the drafting and not the players.

the drafting of Demetrius Underwood would classify for both.

That particular pick has to be in the running for the clear "winner" of the worst picks of all-time regardless the team. It rivals the picks of Mike Mamula or Tony Mandarich.

For those that are too young, Mike Mamula is the origin of what many deem the "Workout Warrior." And Tony Mandarich was the one bust out of the top 5 of the 1989 Draft. He was selected #2, surrounded by Troy Aikman, Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, and Derrick Thomas...all HOFers.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwood was an awful pick, but I think you gotta give the Vikes a little slack on that one after taking another guy with issues of his own in the '98 draft. They set the bar for high-risk/high-reward prospects in back to back years.

I'd take that trade-off every other year Laughing
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:
Before the draft [Ryan Cook] was projected to go in round 5 or 6.....

and Fran Foley was projected to still have a job six weeks after the draft.

Wink

Oh for the LIKE button.....
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
I'm treating this exercise as an indictment on the people doing the drafting and not the players.

the drafting of Demetrius Underwood would classify for both.

Gotta be close to one of the worst picks ever, imo. Not a great player in college, and his COLLEGE COACH was warning people not to draft him. When does that ever happen?
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViKingHopeful wrote:
Underwood was an awful pick, but I think you gotta give the Vikes a little slack on that one after taking another guy with issues of his own in the '98 draft. They set the bar for high-risk/high-reward prospects in back to back years.

I'd take that trade-off every other year Laughing

They don't get any slack for that from me. It was a ridiculous pick at the time, considering Underwood hadn't played at all the previous year and Denny was literally warned directly of his mental instability by his college coaches. There was no excuse for that pick whatsoever. It's like he just picked a random name off the draft-eligible list.

In reality, Denny should have been fired on the spot for making that call...especially when the Falcons took Patrick Kerney right after them.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not defending the Underwood pick, no excuses for Denny on that one. I just think it's hard to classify the 29th pick in any draft as the worst pick of all-time. We didn't have Barry, D.T., and Deion sitting right there for us. Sure the Underwood pick hits close to home for us Viking fans, but that "worst pick ever" honor should be held for teams who had their pick of the litter and came away empty-handed.
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do think Toby should be in this conversation as well. Not because he's a bad player, just on principle. You don't draft a RB that high when you've already got the best in the game. But spending a 2nd AND a 3rd on Adrian's backup? Ridiculous. Adrian never needed to split carries, he plays better as the game wears on. There's not a back in this league I'd give that much up for to backup AP.
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViKingHopeful wrote:
I'm not defending the Underwood pick, no excuses for Denny on that one. I just think it's hard to classify the 29th pick in any draft as the worst pick of all-time. We didn't have Barry, D.T., and Deion sitting right there for us. Sure the Underwood pick hits close to home for us Viking fans, but that "worst pick ever" honor should be held for teams who had their pick of the litter and came away empty-handed.

Normally, I would agree with you on the 29th pick factor, but that one went above and beyond just being the 29th pick.

As far as the "pick of the litter" question...what kind of grade do the Colts get for selecting not only the top pick, but the first 2 picks (like they did in 1992) and blowing both of them by picking Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt? (The Vikings had a decent draft that year, picking up Eddie McDaniel, Brad Johnson, Brad Culpepper, and Chuck Evans)

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViKingHopeful wrote:
I really do think Toby should be in this conversation as well. Not because he's a bad player, just on principle. You don't draft a RB that high when you've already got the best in the game. But spending a 2nd AND a 3rd on Adrian's backup? Ridiculous. Adrian never needed to split carries, he plays better as the game wears on. There's not a back in this league I'd give that much up for to backup AP.

fair enough. but we probably have to wait until Gerhart's career is over, in case he does actually contribute more for us.

or maybe we trade him some day and the pick we get for him creates a better player for us. that would have to enter in to his equation.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
ViKingHopeful wrote:

fair enough. but we probably have to wait until Gerhart's career is over, in case he does actually contribute more for us.

or maybe we trade him some day and the pick we get for him creates a better player for us. that would have to enter in to his equation.

It was a bad use of valuable resources, and he's a FA after this year, I doubt he comes back. I would not if I was him, why would any back that thinks he is really good and is competitive at all want to back up Adrian?
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Ryan Cook, anyone?

Nelson started and contributed to many successfull teams, and had a decent length career for a RB. It is ridiculous to say he was a bad pick because of who came a couple picks later. How many players were chosen in front of Tom Brady?

And, even if he had caught that ball, he would have been tackled short of the goal line. It was an awful play all around.

The next 3 picks were Mike Munchak, Gerald Riggs, and Marcus Allen. All 3 were significantly better than Nelson.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's tough to pick the 10 greatest Vikings draft choices . . . but arguments can be made for Matt Blair, Randall McDaniel, Sammy White, Chuck Foreman, Jeff Siemon, Ed White, Ron Yary, and yes, Chris Doleman . . . Joey Browner and Carl Lee. Most of these guys deserve the list more than a couple that are on there.

As for the worst picks, it's tough to go wrong with those listed (except Darren Nelson -- he was good), then there was the other Nelson, Chuck-the-anti-Blair Walsh-Nelson Laughing
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
No way Darren Nelson is one of the worst picks ever. No way.

When you consider the fact that we passed on Marcus Allen for "Disco Darren", it tends to move him up the worst picks list.

Elisha Cuthbert - Yet another hottie who loves wearing purple and white. Very Happy Go Vikings!

Big props to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig!
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Normally, I would agree with you on the 29th pick factor, but that one went above and beyond just being the 29th pick.

As far as the "pick of the litter" question...what kind of grade do the Colts get for selecting not only the top pick, but the first 2 picks (like they did in 1992) and blowing both of them by picking Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt? (The Vikings had a decent draft that year, picking up Eddie McDaniel, Brad Johnson, Brad Culpepper, and Chuck Evans)

There's are always some really bad picks in the 1st round, especially at the bottom:
2008: 29th overall, Kentwan Balmer
2007: 29th overall, Montrell Mathieu-LeBlanc
*Those guys were just way to convenient to not include. Smile

But really, the only thing that made Underwood go above and beyond these guys is that everyone else saw it coming. I don't think that makes him a worse pick than these guys though, maybe a dumber pick by Denny, but not any worse than Montrell Mathieu.
AP_allday2869

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViKingHopeful wrote:
disaacs wrote:

There's are always some really bad picks in the 1st round, especially at the bottom:
2008: 29th overall, Kentwan Balmer
2007: 29th overall, Montrell Mathieu-LeBlanc
*Those guys were just way to convenient to not include. Smile

But really, the only thing that made Underwood go above and beyond these guys is that everyone else saw it coming. I don't think that makes him a worse pick than these guys though, maybe a dumber pick by Denny, but not any worse than Montrell Mathieu.

29th overall was Ben Grubbs. I dont know if that guy has ever even played lol.

Adopt a Viking:
Chris Cook: Tackles: 5 Ints: 0 BP: 1 Ejections:1

Bridgewater or Bust!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: