Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Phillip Thomas Already Familiar with our Scheme
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Yeah...not a fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGpiQDhd4CM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
one game where his team is clearly outmatched talent wise vs the hardest offense to defend in the NCAA is not a great sample size of a players career. Anyone can put together YouTube clips to what they want to, for or against a player but I take highlight or lowlight YouTube videos with a grain of salt.

Also, I noticed on several of those run plays he was getting held, and he got clipped on one play.

He did have a fumble recovery and a sack/forced fumble on one play.

You do realize he was the best defender on Fresno's D that day and the only one who will play in the NFL vs a Oregon offense who has 5 or 6 pro prospects on it, right?

He had 9 tackles, 1 sack/FF and one fumble recovery in the game in his second game since breaking his leg and dislocating his ankle the year before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
brandonb2005

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Yeah...not a fan.

one game where his team is clearly outmatched talent wise vs the hardest offense to defend in the NCAA is not a great sample size of a players career. Anyone can put together YouTube clips to what they want to, for or against a player but I take highlight or lowlight YouTube videos with a grain of salt.

Also, I noticed on several of those run plays he was getting held, and he got clipped on one play.

You do realize he was the best defender on Fresno's D that day and the only one who will play in the NFL vs a Oregon offense who has 5 or 6 pro prospects on it, right?

He had 9 tackles, 1 sack/FF and one fumble recovery in the game in his second game since breaking his leg and dislocating his ankle the year before.

I agree turtle, analyze the whole career not just one game against the hardest offense to stop in the nation. Right off the bat in that video I noticed he was held the 2nd play.

But a positive you can take from that is he was around the ball a lot and plays with a lot of energy. He has a high motor and chases every play.

I would like Cyprien, Thomas, then DJ in that order.

Wouldn't mind having Mathieu play the slot. The kid has lost so much and been through a lot with his very public issues. He knows whats on the line and he basically has no more strikes. The kid can ball and would be a helluva slot corner and punt returner. He can blitz and has elite quickness, as well as ball hawking skills. Put him a locker room with our secondary as well as Raheem coaching him and he will be fine.
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brandonb2005 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Yeah...not a fan.

I agree turtle, analyze the whole career not just one game against the hardest offense to stop in the nation. Right off the bat in that video I noticed he was held the 2nd play.

But a positive you can take from that is he was around the ball a lot and plays with a lot of energy. He has a high motor and chases every play.

I would like Cyprien, Thomas, then DJ in that order.

Wouldn't mind having Mathieu play the slot. The kid has lost so much and been through a lot with his very public issues. He knows whats on the line and he basically has no more strikes. The kid can ball and would be a helluva slot corner and punt returner. He can blitz and has elite quickness, as well as ball hawking skills. Put him a locker room with our secondary as well as Raheem coaching him and he will be fine.

Aqib and Tanard would laugh at this statement.
I like Tyrann, and I doubt he messes up again, but I don't think Raheem is the most strict coach on the planet.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ ST, you are right, but Mike Shanahan and Hasslet are strict, so they'd have Mathieu in check.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brian23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Yeah...not a fan.

Its more that he was getting taken out of the play against an offense will now have to face twice a year.
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Yeah...not a fan.

Its more that he was getting taken out of the play against an offense will now have to face twice a year.

I saw a blogger on twitter slandering P. Thomas because of that link/game.

My thing is...
He'll be coached by different coaches and surrounded by a higher level of talent. Surely, he'll be facing a higher level of athlete/talent on offense, but I don't think one bad lowlight should tarnish his entire game.

When Orakpo was drafted, they kept showing Brandon Pettigrew block him out of a running play. That didn't stop the Skins from drafting Rak and it hasn't stop Rak from being a good NFL player.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
Yeah...not a fan.

I saw a blogger on twitter slandering P. Thomas because of that link/game.

My thing is...
He'll be coached by different coaches and surrounded by a higher level of talent. Surely, he'll be facing a higher level of athlete/talent on offense, but I don't think one bad lowlight should tarnish his entire game.

When Orakpo was drafted, they kept showing Brandon Pettigrew block him out of a running play. That didn't stop the Skins from drafting Rak and it hasn't stop Rak from being a good NFL player.
exactly STaylor. I've seen that post from the blogger also and I responded to his article about Thomas. Hogs heaven and the guy had him rated as a 4 C! Meaning a late 4th round pick, I was flabbergasted! Then he posted the same clip Brian23 did and I wrote the exact post that I wrote to brian23 back to them.

I'm not going to sit here and say he's perfect and he doesn't need to improve, that jeopardize my credibility. Those though that say they don't see him going till the 4th round and then they post some clips from one game lose credibility in my eyes. Phillip Thomas does take some bad angles and misses some tackles he should make, but guess what... So does every single Safety prospect in this draft from Vacarro to Ray Ray Armstrong. These are things that can be improved upon. There are good safety prospects in this draft but no definite elite ones. They all need improvement at some facet of their game. I believe he will be a good NFL player and could start next year if we don't sign a vet FS. I also believe he will be taken ok round 2 or 3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: