Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No love for Eifert?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
no arguments there. I just think this season's draft is "special" in that it's really not special.

Star
the 3 OTs
the 2 OGs

Dion Jordan in a 4-3

there's 7 guys who are "can't miss" (well, as close as you can get) in my eyes.

no other elite prospects. I honestly think the best we'll be able to get out of this draft in the 1st is a solid contributer. If we cna move down, then outstanding! I think a lot of other teams are thinking the same thing though, that's the problem.

I agree with everything except Dion Jordan being a cant miss.

Also, the only OT I think is cant miss is Fisher. Joeckel I think will be good but not great. Lane Johnson has the highest upside, but he is far from cant miss IMO.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd add Shariff Floyd to the list of blue chippers.

And whether we consider Jordan in that list or no, that's 7 or 8 "elite" prospects.

That's pretty good for any class.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue with Eifert is that he isn't a game breaker. If the team still had Wallace, I would be on board. The Pats can base their offense around Gronk because he is a dominant freak. Other TE's have fit that mold, but Eifert aint it in my opinion.

You draft a top flight WR, it opens up the middle of the field for TE's. You draft Eifter, it doesn't change much with this offense besides maybe red zone efficiency. Teams are going to be free to clog the middle of the field. Doesn't do much for the run game. And at 1.17, I think he's a reach.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Because there is absolutely nothing special about Eifert. He is not a cant miss talent or a TE talent that cant be found in every draft.

If I am drafting a TE in the top 20, it better be an elite prospect. Eifter IMO is no where close to an elite prospect.

Dont get me wrong, I think he will be GOOD in the NFL, but not great.

Trade down to the very late first or early 2nd and I could live with it.

At 17, I hate it.

I understand your point and agreed with it for quite some time.

problem is, there are no elite candidates in this draft at 1.17 outside of an OG.

Eifert and Hopkins are likely to be the BPA at a position of need. Those of you telling yourselves that Heath Miller wil be fine...he ran a 4.8 when he first came into the league. A 30-year old with a zonked ACL won't recover like Adrian Peterson

Eifert immediately steps in, game 1, and does what Heath has done. No, he isn't elite.

Name who will be elite at 1.17 this season please.

You do realize there is a difference between an elite PROSPECT and an ELITE NFL player, right?

I dont EXPECT anyone at 17 to be elite this year. Ill be happy if whoever we get at 17 contributes in any fashion.

The point I was getting at is, I dont think Eifert is that great of a prospect. I think his upside is limited and I am not a fan of his at 17.

My negative feeling about Eifert have more to do with his long term upside, and while I want someone who can contribute immediately, I also want someone who has the UPSIDE to be elite....which I dont feel Eifert has.

Hopkins however, I do. I definitely wouldnt mind him at 17.

no arguments. I've been on the Hopkins bandwagon awhile now. I think Eifert absolutely has 80/1000 potential. If Heath were about 3/10th of a second faster and younger, he'd be Tyler Eifert. He might even be more useful in Haley's system. I'd rather have Hopkins, but the dropoff after Eifert is bigger IMHO and it seems I'm one of the few who thinks Heath's days as an effective player might be over.

Me too...I'm all about Hopkins and while it would be considered a slight reach, I'd be fine with it. In the 1st, I'd love to see Hopkins or Patterson. In the 2nd? Woods or Franklin. 3rd? Bell or Bailey.

I want impact players and this is the type of year I think we need to take some chances.

If we're not taking chances, then Cooper, Warmack, or Fluker in the 1st...I think any of these three would be "can't miss" types. I know we are going to a hybrid zone, so Fluker may not be the best fit, but he's better than Foster, IMO. Heck, even Watson would be a gamble, but he's got the potential to be an elite LT in a couple of years. Same with Terron Armstead.

But Eifert? IMO, he is not a 3 round better prospect than a Sims or Reed, and would rather gamble with one of them. Not that Eifert isn't good...he'll contribute for sure, but to think of the talent we would have potentially left on the table by selecting hiim in the 1st just doesn't sit well with me.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Because there is absolutely nothing special about Eifert. He is not a cant miss talent or a TE talent that cant be found in every draft.

If I am drafting a TE in the top 20, it better be an elite prospect. Eifter IMO is no where close to an elite prospect.

Dont get me wrong, I think he will be GOOD in the NFL, but not great.

Trade down to the very late first or early 2nd and I could live with it.

At 17, I hate it.

I understand your point and agreed with it for quite some time.

problem is, there are no elite candidates in this draft at 1.17 outside of an OG.

Eifert and Hopkins are likely to be the BPA at a position of need. Those of you telling yourselves that Heath Miller wil be fine...he ran a 4.8 when he first came into the league. A 30-year old with a zonked ACL won't recover like Adrian Peterson

Eifert immediately steps in, game 1, and does what Heath has done. No, he isn't elite.

Name who will be elite at 1.17 this season please.

You do realize there is a difference between an elite PROSPECT and an ELITE NFL player, right?

I dont EXPECT anyone at 17 to be elite this year. Ill be happy if whoever we get at 17 contributes in any fashion.

The point I was getting at is, I dont think Eifert is that great of a prospect. I think his upside is limited and I am not a fan of his at 17.

My negative feeling about Eifert have more to do with his long term upside, and while I want someone who can contribute immediately, I also want someone who has the UPSIDE to be elite....which I dont feel Eifert has.

Hopkins however, I do. I definitely wouldnt mind him at 17.

no arguments. I've been on the Hopkins bandwagon awhile now. I think Eifert absolutely has 80/1000 potential. If Heath were about 3/10th of a second faster and younger, he'd be Tyler Eifert. He might even be more useful in Haley's system. I'd rather have Hopkins, but the dropoff after Eifert is bigger IMHO and it seems I'm one of the few who thinks Heath's days as an effective player might be over.

80/1000 is pretty rare air for a TE.

I see Eifert as far more in the Kyle Rudolph/Greg Olsen mold than I do the Gronk/Witten mold. By that I mean, I think he leaves the field regularly due to his blocking deficiencies thereby costing him targets and unlike Jimmy Graham he doesn't have a TE-centric QB/OC to push him into that territory. I'm not at all convinced he has the quicks of a Hernandez to be a slot mismatch and get targets in 3 wide looks either.

In short I'd be amazed if he hit those baselines any time soon if they did bring him into the fold. Good player at a position of need, but not a real offensive focal point.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
grubs10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:

I agree with you on both accounts. I think the drop off is steeper after Eifert but I really want a receiver who offers something different than Sanders and Brown and I worry that if we don't take one in the first round, the best options in the second and third will be fairly similar to them.

I really question how effective Heath will be next year and I don't see him getting another contract from the Steelers unless he takes the home team discount (which i think would be the right move by the Steelers.). I think he will still play for another team after us but I do think we need to replace him in the next year or two. Ideally we would replace him this year but I really don't like many tight ends after Eifert to be strong starters.

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
mosteelers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
This draft has some talent at TE... we're wasting a first on one when we have much bigger needs?

What position realistically doesn't have talent? OLB, Safety, WR, ILB are all deep and the Steelers need just about every one of those position. In no particular order.

Exactly. I don't know if we pick any player in round 1 that is exceptionally better than someone we could get in round 2 or 3. Just one of those years. Almost a year to pick for need over BPA. Not sure BPA is so much better than Next Best Player Available. Ya' know?

Sig courtesy of miafins23 Thanks
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
80/1000 is pretty rare air for a TE.

I see Eifert as far more in the Kyle Rudolph/Greg Olsen mold than I do the Gronk/Witten mold. By that I mean, I think he leaves the field regularly due to his blocking deficiencies thereby costing him targets and unlike Jimmy Graham he doesn't have a TE-centric QB/OC to push him into that territory. I'm not at all convinced he has the quicks of a Hernandez to be a slot mismatch and get targets in 3 wide looks either.

In short I'd be amazed if he hit those baselines any time soon if they did bring him into the fold. Good player at a position of need, but not a real offensive focal point.
I do agree with that assessment. I'll say this, I think he has pro bowl potential but not All-Pro potential like Gronk/Witten/Gates
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
no arguments there. I just think this season's draft is "special" in that it's really not special.

Star
the 3 OTs
the 2 OGs

Dion Jordan in a 4-3

there's 7 guys who are "can't miss" (well, as close as you can get) in my eyes.

no other elite prospects. I honestly think the best we'll be able to get out of this draft in the 1st is a solid contributer. If we cna move down, then outstanding! I think a lot of other teams are thinking the same thing though, that's the problem.

I agree with everything except Dion Jordan being a cant miss.

Also, the only OT I think is cant miss is Fisher. Joeckel I think will be good but not great. Lane Johnson has the highest upside, but he is far from cant miss IMO.

well, "can't miss" is a relative term

I think Jordan will be a beast in as a 4-3 OLB, but I think he'll end up miscast

as for Eifert, he absolutely could be a Jason Witten type.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosteelers wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
This draft has some talent at TE... we're wasting a first on one when we have much bigger needs?

What position realistically doesn't have talent? OLB, Safety, WR, ILB are all deep and the Steelers need just about every one of those position. In no particular order.

Exactly. I don't know if we pick any player in round 1 that is exceptionally better than someone we could get in round 2 or 3. Just one of those years. Almost a year to pick for need over BPA. Not sure BPA is so much better than Next Best Player Available. Ya' know?

agreed completely Mo. this is a crappy season to be picking 17
treat88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:

He may be a very good player, but he couldn't be more different than Witten.

wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

I took this information from CBS Sports...I found it interesting. Through the analysis that CBS Sports provides, here is the comparison THEY make:

COMPARES TO: Heath Miller, TE, Steelers - While more athletic than Miller, Eifert has a similar skill-set with his ability to make tough catches in tight spaces, winning one-on-one situations. Also has the speed to be a threat vertically or down the seam.

That comparison, honestly..makes me like him a bit more. Who better to take over for Heath Miller than a faster "Heath Miller"?

To be clear, I still don't think this is who we'll draft, I wouldn't shatter my tv screen over it. But I would be a bit upset.
treat88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
treat88 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

I took this information from CBS Sports...I found it interesting. Through the analysis that CBS Sports provides, here is the comparison THEY make:

COMPARES TO: Heath Miller, TE, Steelers - While more athletic than Miller, Eifert has a similar skill-set with his ability to make tough catches in tight spaces, winning one-on-one situations. Also has the speed to be a threat vertically or down the seam.

That comparison, honestly..makes me like him a bit more. Who better to take over for Heath Miller than a faster "Heath Miller"?

To be clear, I still don't think this is who we'll draft, I wouldn't shatter my tv screen over it. But I would be a bit upset.

He may have a similar impact as Miller or Witten as a receiver, but he will be a liability as true in line TE as he has lacks any ability to block.

He is far more a super sized WR than a true TE. Greg Olsen is a better comp than Witten/Miller.

Maybe I just have a tough time seeing that aspect of his game translate. Apparently he's been focusing on trying to improve that aspect of his game so maybe with some time he becomes adequate.

Kelce is the best two way TE in the class coming out. NFL ready from Day 1.

Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, people are hard on Eifert. No he's not an effective blocker because he is more inconsistent and aggressive as a blocker.

Also playing for Notre Dame, people forgot he had a running QB throwing to him. Very inaccurate when throwing

When comparing to TEs in past drafts, he's actually a better prospect than many and don't forget that when playing for a system like ours, he'll blend in just fine.

People also shouldn't be stuck onto "overdrafting a TE at 17th pick". Far as I'm concerned; Eifert is the best receiver in this class, there's not any receiver that ranked ahead of him and in this class, he's DeCastro of the class; DeCastro was the best lineman in last class but he wasn't ranked higher because of his "position" but did that stoped us from drafting him? No.

Now if you ask me, would I pick Eifert at 17th pick? I don't know. I have DeAndre Hopkins ranked ahead of Eifert but the Steelers have Eifert ranked ahead of Hopkins and Tavon Austin. Reason behind my ranking is lacking of possession wide receiver on our roster and not because we have Heath Miller. Yeah, Heath have been solid but he's upgradable and far from being the top-notch TE.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Man, people are hard on Eifert. No he's not an effective blocker because he is more inconsistent and aggressive as a blocker.

Also playing for Notre Dame, people forgot he had a running QB throwing to him. Very inaccurate when throwing

When comparing to TEs in past drafts, he's actually a better prospect than many and don't forget that when playing for a system like ours, he'll blend in just fine.

People also shouldn't be stuck onto "overdrafting a TE at 17th pick". Far as I'm concerned; Eifert is the best receiver in this class, there's not any receiver that ranked ahead of him and in this class, he's DeCastro of the class; DeCastro was the best lineman in last class but he wasn't ranked higher because of his "position" but did that stoped us from drafting him? No.

Now if you ask me, would I pick Eifert at 17th pick? I don't know. I have DeAndre Hopkins ranked ahead of Eifert but the Steelers have Eifert ranked ahead of Hopkins and Tavon Austin. Reason behind my ranking is lacking of possession wide receiver on our roster and not because we have Heath Miller. Yeah, Heath have been solid but he's upgradable and far from being the top-notch TE.

Hard on him? Why? Because some of us dont like him as much as you do?

As for comparing him to TEs in the past, thats highly debatable and depends who you are referring to.

Eifert is not a bad player by any means. I dont think Ive seen any Steeler fans claim that. BUT, its a mixed opinions kind of thing. Some see him as a top 20 pick...some see him as a borderline first rounder....some see him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I believe he is a top 50 pick, but not top 25. Not just because of what Ive seen of him, but also what I think his long term potential is, which isnt great. Ive heard some say there is a huge drop off after Eifert, which I dont agree with at all. I think there are several TEs in this draft just as capable....just not as refined at the moment.

As for overdrafting TE....the position isnt what bothers me at 17, its the player. I get that there arent any elite prospect at 17, but there are players with elite POTENTIAL, and IMO, Eifert is not one of them.

As for the bolded, please stop making comments like that until you can actually back them up. You make comments like that regularly and you never have a shred of proof to back it up. And no one is buying that you have inside sources.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: