Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defending Romo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AyyyeeeJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Defending Romo Reply with quote

I have many friends and family who love to trash talk Romo, some of them are even cowboys fans. Ex: "the cowboys will never be any good til they get rid of Romo." If i had a dollar for every time I've heard that... I usually try to make a point of how garbage our offensive line is/has been, but no one really listens. What do you guys tell people to basically shut them up about Romo? Any facts that prove he's among the best in the NFL?

If you have something negative to say about Romo please don't bother posting.
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always point out that our QB situation could be a lot worse. We could still be stuck with He Who Shall Not Be Named. Yep, that shuts 'em up. Laughing

Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 13 tackles, 2 TFL, 0 sacks, 1 Pass Break Up
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not what you would call a Romo supporter, but he has one of the best career quarterback ratings all time last i checked.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
dahobofest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask them for an alternative.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dahobofest wrote:
Ask them for an alternative.

That's not a helpful challenge since this is a weak QB class. It isn't about "alternatives", per se. It's about taking the steps to either protect him from himself so that he won't continue to pull his best Brett Favre and rip your heart out at the worst possible time or to draft and develop a suitable replacement within a reasonable period of time.

And AyyeeeJ, telling someone not to post if they don't have something positive to say about a player is really dumb because you're not inviting genuine conversation with differing ideas. All you're doing is limiting the conversation to those who will tell you what you want to hear as a means of validating a fragile sense of self worth. It would be just as disingenuous for anyone else to open a thread dedicated to negative statements about Romo and then tell people like you not to post in there because you may say something positive. Well, the reason he gets a lot of negativity is because he brings it on himself with his mistakes, bonehead turnovers, and mental meltdowns. So the best way to challenge someone whose "negative" opinion you disagree with is to ask what they would do to help minimize those mistakes or how they would handle the roster going forward. You'll find that there are a lot of people on this forum - Romo "haters", Romo "supporters", and people indifferent about Romo - who have some incredibly great ideas. But to tell them not to post anything eliminates your chances of ever finding out what they are.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo is an Undrafted Free Agent who has gone on to hold nearly every statistical record of the most storied Franchise in the NFL that has had a legacy of fantastic QBs. Romo doesn't need defending - he has already accomplished more than anyone could have hoped and prayed for. It is because of his successes - and the successes of this franchise - that make us yearn for more.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.

Last edited by Texas_OutLaw7 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel this way about it:

1. Statistically, he is among the best. Howver, stats don't win championships.

2. To his defense, he has NEVER had a really solid, consistant line in front of him. 2007 was as close as it ever got.

3. The bon-head mistakes are really on him. Line or not, he does seem to commit the big mistake at the worst possible time.

Conclusion, I like Romo. He does tear my heart out but seeing as how this team is "all in" and continuing to give our vets extensions, it appears he is our leader moving forward so.... I support him.

Next.
AyyyeeeJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan, I appreciate your response however I was simply asking for ammunition to fire back at the haters- not to start a debate in the forum as there has already been plenty of those conversations. Basically I was asking for stats and stuff because I was too lazy to do the research. Sorry to have irritated you
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AyyyeeeJ wrote:
Plan, I appreciate your response however I was simply asking for ammunition to fire back at the haters- not to start a debate in the forum as there has already been plenty of those conversations. Basically I was asking for stats and stuff because I was too lazy to do the research. Sorry to have irritated you

Dont worry plan is just a grouchy old man Wink Haha jk i like plan. Its just a touchy subject on this forum. There are people on both sides of the fence. Both have plenty of good reasons to be on either side.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Romo is an Undrafted Free Agent who has gone on to hold nearly every statistical record of the most storied Franchise in the NFL that has had a legacy of fantastic QBs. Romo doesn't need defending - he has already accomplished more than anyone could have hoped and prayed for. It is because of his successes - and the successes of this franchise - that make us yearn for more.

This guy ^^^ hit the Nail on the head!!!!!
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo performs like an elite QB while playing in a non-QB friendly system. I think if you would take him and put him on the Packers, Falcons, or Broncos he would be very, very good.

Put Aaron Rodgers on the Cowboys and he probably wouldn't even perform as well as Romo does.
Actually he would probably get killed.

I live in Wisconsin and all my friends are Packer fans, so I have this argument all the time Smile

^ made by CalhounLambeau
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:
Romo performs like an elite QB while playing in a non-QB friendly system. I think if you would take him and put him on the Packers, Falcons, or Broncos he would be very, very good.

Put Aaron Rodgers on the Cowboys and he probably wouldn't even perform as well as Romo does.

I live in Wisconsin and all my friends are Packer fans, so I have this argument all the time Smile

Rodgers actually performs with a not-so-great offensive line either...

^^^mack
Baixis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:

This is actually one of my most used arguments! I always ask "Which other stud QB in this league would you put on out team over the past 6 years, and how do you think they would do? Now, put Romo on any other playoff team and think about how he would do." Then I basically point out how Romo has had to run for his life most of the time, and outside of Witten, has rarely had really good, consistent, long-term talent around him. IMO, another mobile QB, like Rodgers or Brees, or the ultimate 'smarty' (Peyton) are the only ones who would be able to be as good (not even considering them being BETTER). However, you put Romo on the top 12-15 teams and I have no doubts what so ever that that team would be AT LEAST as good and probably better with him running things! Balt? Please, Romo smokes Flacco! NYG, Pitt, GB, etc? Romo would be awesome! Lastly, I like to point out that Sean Payton wanted Romo FIRST and foremost when he went to N.O., and he SETTLED for Brees.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I currently "defend" Romo...

First, I admit that Romo is not an elite QB. But, he has demonstrated the ability to be an elite playmaker. Similarly, he has also demonstrated the propensity to be a knucklehead in decision making. Unfortunately, Romo has never had the benefit of great coaching (especially in the post Parcells era). With limited exception in 2007, he's never had the benefit of being able to be a traditional QB with a good pocket. Lackluster coaching and a bad OL have turned Romo into what he is. I think all of us would love to see what Romo could do with Belichick as his coach and the Pats OL that routinely gave Brady all day to throw. Unfortunately, we have a GM who puts coaching and OL very low on the priority totem pole.
GeorgiaBoy367

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I dont think we have to defend Tony Romo. He is what he is. People for Romo will point out his QBR and people against Romo will point out his untimely mistakes. There is enough evidence for people to think hes amazing and there's enough ammo to say he's not. Truth is when your not a very good football team more chances have to be taken. Tony Romo is the result of counting on one guy to win football games for you.

As for me I'm a ROMO Supporter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: