Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RIP Pat Summerall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: RIP Pat Summerall Reply with quote

The Great Pat Summerall has passed away today at age 82! Sports broadcasters have lost a legend today! RIP Patt!!

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only was he the best Play-By-Play guy in the NFL, he was a former Arkansas Razorback, an Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame member and an even better person. I met him about 15 years ago. He was a very friendly guy and took time to talk to me and my grandpa.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
chumpy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he was a broadcasting icon and will be greatly missed. RIP Pat Summerall.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greatest football play by play man I have ever heard. He will be missed.

Ironm1ke: "I am a huge Eli supporter, but his 2012 campaign was an epic turd."
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up watching Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier and then of course Summerall and Madden. He was so smooth and easy. He will be greatly missed. RIP.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Not only was he the best Play-By-Play guy in the NFL, he was a former Arkansas Razorback, an Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame member and an even better person. I met him about 15 years ago. He was a very friendly guy and took time to talk to me and my grandpa.

He and Madden were my all time favorite broadcasting team. They were the perfect pair because they were polar opposites. I can still hear Summerall's unemotional, matter-of-fact, deadpan commentary: "Aikman drops back in the pocket. Sees Irvin. Going deep. Touchdown Cowboys." And then to have Madden billowing out goofy babble at the top of his lungs while drawing squiggly pictures all over the screen with his tele-strator.

RIP, you alcoholic mess. You were loved by many. Including me. You'll be missed.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
htfryar wrote:

He and Madden were my all time favorite broadcasting team. They were the perfect pair because they were polar opposites. I can still hear Summerall's unemotional, matter-of-fact, deadpan commentary: "Aikman drops back in the pocket. Sees Irvin. Going deep. Touchdown Cowboys." And then to have Madden billowing out goofy babble at the top of his lungs while drawing squiggly pictures all over the screen with his tele-strator.

RIP, you alcoholic mess. You were loved by many. Including me. You'll be missed.

Yeah, there will never be another Madden and Summerall. In my mind, those 2 will always represent the golden era of NFL football... even moreso than Howard, Dan, Al, and Don.
sniderboys23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I didn't know him or never met him I am deeply saddened. I remember as a young one just listening to him during the broadcast. To put it in perspective I've never listened to a game and actually listened to what they say. When pat called a game I hung onto his telecast

RIP Pat, and prayers out to your family!!!

Major Props to El Ramster!!!!
NYDC4life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply my favorite play by play guy ever. RIP Pat Summerall. Now you can be the play by play caller for God when he is watching his favorite team, the Dallas Cowboys.

GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had one of the greatest voices of any broadcaster. I remember listening to him and thinking this guy should narrate westerns, read audio books, or do trailers for movies. Madden was never my favorite, but I always loved listening to Summerall.
htfryar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
htfryar wrote:

Show a little respect. In 2004, at the time of his liver transplant, Summerall had been sober for 12 years. That was 9 years ago. At the time of his death, the man had been sober for 21 years. I know you like to be all edgy and ish, but that comment was classless.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: