Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mini Camp Notes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiBears4

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Mudder Reply with quote

To give themselves more cap room next year if they need or want to add a player.
SOCalBearsFan54

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:

JD speculated that the team may have already told him he'll be a June 1 cap casualty (when they can spread out the cap hit over 2 seasons) and that because of that he's working out independently to get himself in the best shape he can to get a realistic shot to catch on elsewhere. Makes a lot of sense if true.

Why not just cut him then? Whats the point of leaving all this speculation out there - especially among other players? Garza and Forte both had to answer numerous question about Carimi at the end of their first mini-camp practice.

If the plan is to cut him, and the Bears have told him so, why not just designate him as a June 1st and be done with it?

If we cut him we have $900,000 against the cap. Which isn't as bad as having a first round pick that doesn't play sit on the bench or is on the practice squad making 2 million. It sounds like he's in AZ trying to get strong enough to audition for another team....

2014 Adopt a Bear: WR Brandon Marshall #15
Rec- 49 Yards- 586 TDs- 8 Tgts- 86
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:

JD speculated that the team may have already told him he'll be a June 1 cap casualty (when they can spread out the cap hit over 2 seasons) and that because of that he's working out independently to get himself in the best shape he can to get a realistic shot to catch on elsewhere. Makes a lot of sense if true.

Why not just cut him then? Whats the point of leaving all this speculation out there - especially among other players? Garza and Forte both had to answer numerous question about Carimi at the end of their first mini-camp practice.

If the plan is to cut him, and the Bears have told him so, why not just designate him as a June 1st and be done with it?

If we cut him we have $900,000 against the cap. Which isn't as bad as having a first round pick that doesn't play sit on the bench or is on the practice squad making 2 million. It sounds like he's in AZ trying to get strong enough to audition for another team....

THe point of my post was to ask - if we are operating under the assumption that the Bears know, and have told Carimi they are going to cut him - then why not do it right now and designate him as June 1 cut? What is the purpose of keeping quiet and creating an opportunity for speculation.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
sirensong

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys cut him I really hope we pick him up. Not because I've been impressed with him at all but there's physical tools there and Cable loves guys who are projects and turning guys around. Giacomini just isnt a long term answer.

Hope you guys do cut him and we can nab him. Totally get why he's on the outs with the Bears tho.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just speculation, but perhaps Carimi is just staying away to buy time to get as healthy as possible. OTAs are voluntary after all, and it's not like a 100% healthy Carimi doesn't have a fair shot at beating out the guys who are competing for backup spots.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:
With all the Linemen we brought in via free agency and the draft it seems to me that its going to be very hard for Carimi to make the team. Missing otas and more importantly reps will limit his chances significantly. I think it's only a matter of time till he's cut.

I would be pretty disappointed if they cut him this quickly. There are too many other options and ways to keep him to see if he fully recovers from his injury, IMO. If they cut him this year, it needs to be well down the road, if at all. There are many players, even at other positions, that I would rather see cut since they are known quantities at this point.

Raise your hand if you would not be disappointed if we got rid of him now and he went on to be a respectable player elsewhere.
Why? Why on earth do you want to hang on to him if the coaching staff is convinced he can't play and he's just a wasted roster spot at this point. If he goes on to be a great player for somebody else, oh well. I certainly don't second guess the Bears cutting Marc Columbo when he was never healthy, regardless of what he eventually turned into w/ Dallas. I wish Gabe well, but if he can't play, he can't play. And everytime I look at the Roster the same thing keeps proving true, there's no way Carimi can make this roster this year.

...because you don't cut a first round draft pick in the first round of cuts when his potential is unknown? Nowhere in my post did I say we should keep him if he cannot play. My argument is that we do not know whether or not he can play. That is NOT a determination that can be made TODAY, or before TC. Right now we have five guards (don't insult my intelligence by arguing that Garza is a guard...and JB is said to be competing with Webb at RT): Long, Slauson, Carimi, Williams, and Britton.

If you look at it from the team's view, Williams is most valuable due to his versatility unless something better comes along among the first round of cuts. Britton has about the same chance of making the roster as Carimi. I think you make that cut (or cuts) later in the off season since there is no way in hell to say whether or not Carimi can play WHEN HEALTHY.
His potential isn't unknown tho, what we've seen in the pros is the EXACT SAME THING we saw in college. He's EXTREMELY slow-footed, isn't a great athlete, has a real nice strong initial punch, but isn't a great technician. Will always give 100% effort, but against Elite players, his 100% isn't good enough. This is what I noted when I evaluated him and said BEFORE HE WAS DRAFTED I believed he would ultimately end up moving to OG b/c he couldn't handle the speed on the outside. His potential is a servicable OG. If Carimi had been drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round like he should have been based on tape and not being friends w/ Mike Tice's son, would you still be holding out hope for him? If the answer is no, then you need to admit to yourself its time to cut bait and move on.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:
With all the Linemen we brought in via free agency and the draft it seems to me that its going to be very hard for Carimi to make the team. Missing otas and more importantly reps will limit his chances significantly. I think it's only a matter of time till he's cut.

I would be pretty disappointed if they cut him this quickly. There are too many other options and ways to keep him to see if he fully recovers from his injury, IMO. If they cut him this year, it needs to be well down the road, if at all. There are many players, even at other positions, that I would rather see cut since they are known quantities at this point.

Raise your hand if you would not be disappointed if we got rid of him now and he went on to be a respectable player elsewhere.
Why? Why on earth do you want to hang on to him if the coaching staff is convinced he can't play and he's just a wasted roster spot at this point. If he goes on to be a great player for somebody else, oh well. I certainly don't second guess the Bears cutting Marc Columbo when he was never healthy, regardless of what he eventually turned into w/ Dallas. I wish Gabe well, but if he can't play, he can't play. And everytime I look at the Roster the same thing keeps proving true, there's no way Carimi can make this roster this year.

...because you don't cut a first round draft pick in the first round of cuts when his potential is unknown? Nowhere in my post did I say we should keep him if he cannot play. My argument is that we do not know whether or not he can play. That is NOT a determination that can be made TODAY, or before TC. Right now we have five guards (don't insult my intelligence by arguing that Garza is a guard...and JB is said to be competing with Webb at RT): Long, Slauson, Carimi, Williams, and Britton.

If you look at it from the team's view, Williams is most valuable due to his versatility unless something better comes along among the first round of cuts. Britton has about the same chance of making the roster as Carimi. I think you make that cut (or cuts) later in the off season since there is no way in hell to say whether or not Carimi can play WHEN HEALTHY.
His potential isn't unknown tho, what we've seen in the pros is the EXACT SAME THING we saw in college. He's EXTREMELY slow-footed, isn't a great athlete, has a real nice strong initial punch, but isn't a great technician. Will always give 100% effort, but against Elite players, his 100% isn't good enough. This is what I noted when I evaluated him and said BEFORE HE WAS DRAFTED I believed he would ultimately end up moving to OG b/c he couldn't handle the speed on the outside. His potential is a servicable OG. If Carimi had been drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round like he should have been based on tape and not being friends w/ Mike Tice's son, would you still be holding out hope for him? If the answer is no, then you need to admit to yourself its time to cut bait and move on.
Being friends with Mike Tice's son had nothing to do with him being drafted.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:

Well that's not true at all. How do we know it played a role w/ him being drafted in the first round by the Bears? Well, Mike Tice told us so right after we drafted him. He said he felt like he knew more about Carimi than any other OT in the draft b/c of his relationship w/ his son, and all the times he's watched Wisconsin b/c of his son. Teams were not faling over themselves trying to draft Gabe Carimi, the Bears not only drafted him, they tried to trade up to draft him earlier.

DaMike

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:

Well that's not true at all. How do we know it played a role w/ him being drafted in the first round by the Bears? Well, Mike Tice told us so right after we drafted him. He said he felt like he knew more about Carimi than any other OT in the draft b/c of his relationship w/ his son, and all the times he's watched Wisconsin b/c of his son. Teams were not faling over themselves trying to draft Gabe Carimi, the Bears not only drafted him, they tried to trade up to draft him earlier.
Any reason to post huh?
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:

THe point of my post was to ask - if we are operating under the assumption that the Bears know, and have told Carimi they are going to cut him - then why not do it right now and designate him as June 1 cut? What is the purpose of keeping quiet and creating an opportunity for speculation.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. If they were going to cut him all along and wanted to do it so he would have an opportunity to sign with another team, they would have done so before the draft. The Panthers did that with Anderson on March 12th.

For the record, it would cost the Bears almost $250K against the cap more to cut Gabe this year than to keep him if it is designated as a pre-June 1st cut. But, like you were saying, they could split the cap hit over two years (which would be $2.17 mill). It makes sense that they would give him an opportunity to show something this year, considering they don't gain anything by cutting him before final cuts.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/gabe-carimi/
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:

Carimi would have been a first round pick even if the Bears had not drafted him. Do you recall a mock in which he did not go in the first outside of yours perhaps?

He had played in an excellent program and there was little reason to believe he would not be a long term starter. Had he not been injured we might be singing a different song, most of us saw promise in his initial starts. Tice may well have liked the kid but virtually everyone did, so it had little bearing on Angelo's pick. We all knew more about him than other linemen just because of the proximity of Wisconsin to Chicago.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:

Any reason to post huh?
If you have a problem w/ when I post I suggest you take it up w/ the mod, and consult the site rules.

Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:

Carimi would have been a first round pick even if the Bears had not drafted him. Do you recall a mock in which he did not go in the first outside of yours perhaps?

He had played in an excellent program and there was little reason to believe he would not be a long term starter. Had he not been injured we might be singing a different song, most of us saw promise in his initial starts. Tice may well have liked the kid but virtually everyone did, so it had little bearing on Angelo's pick. We all knew more about him than other linemen just because of the proximity of Wisconsin to Chicago.
26th pick in the draft and you think its a foregone conclusion he for sure would have gone in the first? And your evidence is where mock drafts had him go? Sharrif Floyd was sure top 5 pick too huh? Or Duke Robinson a guaranteed first rounder? Mock drafts mean nothing. Carimi was overdrafted, and its funny that what I saw came to pass, and yet you seem to think that no other scout in the NFL saw the same thing. And no I didn't know more about Carimi than I did any other lineman in that draft, I knew more about Nate Solder. Why you ask? Well b/c Solder was a higher rated prospect.

Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-chicago-bears-release-andre-fluellen-20130520,0,6554420.story

Quote:
The Chicago Bears terminated the contract of defensive tackle Andre Fluellen on Monday, reducing to 89 the number of players on the roster.

The move frees up room for the club to sign Temple cornerback Maurice Jones to a contract. Jones agreed to terms on a deal last week but was not immediately signed. He was not eligible to participate in OTAís last week because of the academic calendar at Temple but Jones is available this week. The team has not announced a move with Jones.

It would also not be surprising if the team continued to seek some veteran help for the interior of the defensive line after checking out Fluellen, who was not present for an OTA when media was permitted to watch last Tuesday.
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:

Any reason to post huh?
If you have a problem w/ when I post I suggest you take it up w/ the mod, and consult the site rules.
It's more along the lines of your willingness to vomit words out every time you can.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: