Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

10 Days Out Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: 10 Days Out Mock Reply with quote

Before I start, i'd just like to point out i think Andre Smith gets signed by us late similar to his rookie year. RT is not an immediate need in this draft.

Also, i tried to make this as realistic as possible and factored in what i think the front office might do. Enjoy.

First Round (21): Matt Elam [Strong Safety/Florida]
- At this point, I think Vaccaro, Cyprien, Fluker, Rhodes, Trufant, J.Jones, both guards, both Patterson and Austin, and possibly Jamar Taylor are off the board. Leaving us with Arthur Brown, Elam, Te'o, Hopkins and Lacy as possibilities. Out of all those names, only 2 will likely start (Elam and Hopkins). We are on the brink of signing James Harrison so i think we feel pretty comfortable with our LB situation that we do not need to go LB first round. Our starters project to be Burfict, Maualuga and Harrison. With Moch and Lamur in the mix as well. I also think we're pretty confident in our WR's, but would love to see us grab Hopkins to play opposite Green (with Hawkins and Sanu in the slots). Anyway, Elam is exactly what our defense needs. A reliable SS, hard hitting highly touted product who Zimmer feels comfortable with. He can play in the box as well as anyone in this draft. Fits into our D very well. I'd be happy with two Gators on the backend. I don't think Elam will be available with our next pick.
Other possibility: DeAndre Hopkins

Second Round (37): DJ Hayden [Cornerback/Houston]
- A man crush of mine, and a potential steal at 37. Apparently Zimmer has interest in this kid at 21, so if he's on the board here i think its a no brainer. Fits the Bengals mold at CB. Can run with any WR, is physical for his size, loves contact in the running game (huge for us - see Kirkpatrick, Hall), and has great ball skills. Extremely instinctual as well and is always turning his head around for the football. CB is not necessarily a need, but you can never have enough corners. Lets no forget outside of Kirkpatrick (unproven), Hall, and Pacman, Newman is an old dog and signed a 1 year contract this year. Barring injury, Hayden can step in and play at a high level.
Other possibility: Johnathan Banks, Giovani Bernard, Sio Moore

Second Round (53): Sam Montgomery [Defensive End/LSU]
- Usually the point in the draft where we grab first round talent with off the field issues. A bit of a head case that needs to be whipped into shape. Enter Zimmer. Very reminiscent of Carlos Dunlap a couple years ago, snatching up fallen talent and turning them into productive players on the "Island of Misfit Defenders". His talent is undeniable, can get to the QB with the best of them in the class. We just resigned Gilberry and Geathers, both productive backups. Dunlap and M. Johnson have one year left remaining on their deals. Granted, we have tons of cap room. But we need to extend Atkins, Green, Dunlap, M.Johnson and Dalton this upcoming season. This move takes pressure off of us signing these guys (although i want all of them), and we won't be handcuffed next year.
Other possibility: Damontre Moore, Da'Rick Rogers

Third Round (84): Tavarres King [Wide Receiver/Georgia]
- Finally, a bulldog goes off the board to the Bengals. King is another man crush of mine who i think is a steal here. Damn good hands, elite prospect route running (see Senior Bowl), and can get vertical. At 6'0-190lbs, he has room to put on some weight without losing quickness/speed. Will come in and compete with Marvin Jones for the X position opposite AJ. Hopefully AJ pulls for his guy and gets him in stripes
Other possibility: Andre Ellington

Fourth Round (118): Jawan Jamison [Runningback/Rutgers]
- And finally we see an RB come off the board. Our front office, in my opinion puts precedence on backs who can do it all. Catch, block (most importantly), and run. Outside of Bernard, i can't think of an RB who can provide all these attributes immediately, which is why i think we pass on Lacy. He's got a little Ray Rice and MJD to his game. Extremely strong lower body allows him to break arm tackles, yet, for his size, he is rather shifty. Caught the ball a ton at Rutgers. Used primarily in the screen game but i have also seen him line up out wide. Also uses his big frame to take on blitzers. After resigning Scott, i don't know how early we target an RB. I don't feel as though we need one on day 1 or 2.

Fifth Round (156): Gerald Hodges [Outside Linebacker/Penn State]
- Provides depth to our LB core and offers some versatility. Im not sure if he lasts this long but would love to scoop him up. Groom him to start down the road.

Sixth Round (190): Landry Jones [Quarterback/Oklahoma]
- Has NFL potential. Once highly touted, had a huge drop off this past year. He will come in and compete with Skelton and Johnson for a backup gig behind Dalton.

Sixth Round (197): Reid Fragel [Offensive Tackle/Ohio State]
- A local product we've shown interest in. Provides depth. Similar body type to Whitworth (6'8 ).

Seventh Round (240): Marquess Wilson [Wide Receiver]
- More competition in camp. Has lots of questions regarding maturity but talent is still there.
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid draft. I havent seen enough of Hayden to know if I like that pick. I love getting defensive help. King is OK in my mind, but i dont see him getting time instead of Jones and Sanu. Almost a wasted pick IMO

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
wrminning

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good draft but I doubt they use first three picks all on Defense, I see one of these picks being a RB or maybe OT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a very likely draft though I wouldn't be a fan.

Not sure we go safety in the first round, if we do though it'll be Vaccaro, Reid or Elam I'm assuming. I think Elam's a late second/early third type guy who gets washed out of plays when engaged and doesn't have the ability to matchup one v one with tight ends which hurst his value. Shamarko Thomas might be a better prospect than him and is a similar player.

I just don't see why we take Hayden. Where does he play? We aren't gonna give up on Dre after a season in which he wasn't even healthy that's for sure. We have Adam Jones as one of the best nickel corners in the NFL, and don't forget about Ghee and Prater - two young guys with a lot of potential. Newman is here for now and he will play. There's no need for a corner and we've generally been a needs-based drafting team lately.

Montgomery I really don't like. Have a fourth round grade on him, mediocre athlete, I actually think he has a good motor, but stiff/straight lineish yet he isn't a great straight line speed guy. With that said I think he's a very likely pick. Although unlike MJ and Dunlap (who were truly round one talents) I don't think Montgomery has that kind of ability. Not to mention he's not the bigger, hybrid type DE we like a lot. Still he seems like a Bengals pick.

King's a great pick, lanky guy who is a field stretcher that is a smooth smooth route runner. Not too high on Jamison, we can get a guy like Dennis Johnson or Robbie Rouse who does a lot of what he does later in the draft. I think we target RB early too. Lacy, Bernard and Franklin are all in play early on if you ask me. Marvin has talked about establishing the run and getting more physical in the run game a lot this offseason.

Hodges is a great pick, Jones is fine for a developmental guy - I'm not high on him but at 190 why not take him. Fragel is a steal, I actually think if we take him it'll have to be at 84; don't think he makes it out of round three. Wilson is worth a chance, talented player.

Overall not a fan but it's a likely Bengals draft, aside from the Hayden pick - despite what's been reported by Peter King
Hokie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can live with Elam at 21. He's going to be a stud if he stays healthy. I would wait until 37 to get a safety though.

I don't like Hayden at 37. I don't like any corner this early, really. We already have Hall, Newman, Jones, and Kirkpatrick, not to mention young guys like Ghee and Prater. Adds to our already outstanding CB depth, but I don't see the need at all here.

Like Montgomery at 53. You can never have too many DEs. Suspect character, but he plays with a lot of effort.

King isn't an awful pick here in the 3rd. I'm hoping against hope we take Hunter in the 1st round but I could live with King here.

Not crazy about Jamison. He's small and not that fast. Seems like a plodder to me, and wouldn't be much of a compliment of BJGE.

Hodges would be an absolute steal in the 5th round. I don't think he makes it this far, but if so, great pick IMO.

Jones is a decent developmental QB option in the 6th, though the need for a QB is lessened by Johnson and Skelton.

Fragel is good value here. Good developmental pick with upside.

Wilson isn't much more than camp competition, but you're not going to find many studs in the 7th round.

All in all, not my favorite Bengal mock, but you did a good job at getting good value in most of your picks. I'd like a better RB and WR than Jamison and King, but the defense is definitely upgraded substantially in this draft, IMO.
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just note that this is in no way my dream mock, it is what i see happening come draft day. In the first i really, really want Arthur Brown or Cyprien. Elam i wouldn't mind, but he's not my first pick.

Next, i really want Franklin at RB and see him as arguably the best RB in the draft.

I completely agree with all your comments, especially Ark23. I just tried to make it as realistic as possible, which i think the who mock draft process is all about.
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
ark23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedGreenShow wrote:
Let me just note that this is in no way my dream mock, it is what i see happening come draft day. In the first i really, really want Arthur Brown or Cyprien. Elam i wouldn't mind, but he's not my first pick.

Next, i really want Franklin at RB and see him as arguably the best RB in the draft.

I completely agree with all your comments, especially Ark23. I just tried to make it as realistic as possible, which i think the who mock draft process is all about.
In that case I think you did a great job because this is what I anticipate our draft looking like, or at least potentially if the chips fall the right way. Probably not Hayden but who knows, maybe he is selected and Peter King seems to think we would strongly consider him.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'll draft someone on offense before pick 84

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: 10 Days Out Mock Reply with quote

RedGreenShow wrote:

(21) Matt Elam [Strong Safety/Florida]
(37) DJ Hayden [Cornerback/Houston]
(53) Sam Montgomery [Defensive End/LSU]
(84) Tavarres King [Wide Receiver/Georgia]
(118) Jawan Jamison [Runningback/Rutgers]
(156) Gerald Hodges [Outside Linebacker/Penn State]
(190) Landry Jones [Quarterback/Oklahoma]
(197) Reid Fragel [Offensive Tackle/Ohio State]
(240) Marquess Wilson [Wide Receiver][/b]
(256) ?

Personally, I don't think we get Andre signed, so we have to realistically draft a RT high. Even if Andre does sign, there's a good arguement for taking one; i.e: we're one injury away from Roland starting.

That said, overall I like the picks here.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the first 2 picks, but not a fan of Montgomery. I'd much rather take the Bernard or Franklin at 53.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
I don't mind the first 2 picks, but not a fan of Montgomery. I'd much rather take the Bernard or Franklin at 53.

Those backs are very tempting. Montgomery is a Johnson/Dunlap type with their fall due to effort issues. But his potential is fantastic and the value is there. I don't mind it

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: