You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Purple People's Poll #25 (Vikings on the clock)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will das Spiel pick at #25?
WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
30%
 30%  [ 18 ]
WR Robert Woods, USC
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
CB Jamar Taylor, Boise State
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
DT Sylvester Williams, UNC
41%
 41%  [ 25 ]
CB Desmond Trufant, Washington
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Other (Please state who and why)
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 60

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both Williams and Hopkins as prospects, but the tiebreaker is age. Hopkins will be 21 during the season while Williams will turn 25 in November.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
DT is easily just as deep as WR. A guy like Bennie Logan is suppose to go late 3rd-early 4th. You can easily land a guy like Kawann Short or John Jenkins in the 2nd. Sorry but Patton, Hunter, etc. couldnt touch DeAndre Hopkins and they arent nearly as pro-ready. Hopkins gets my vote by a long shot

DT is easily as deep as WR - disagree
Easily land a guy like Short or Jenkins in the 2nd - disagree
Patton, Hunter couldn't touch Hopkins and aren't nearly as pro-ready - disagree

Pro-Ready and WR shouldn't often be used in conjunction with WR draftees, especially one that, at the earliest, is a late 1st rounder. Because often, WRs (especially those that don't have elite speed like Hopkins) will find it difficult initially to be productive, as they have to work on their route-running to help develop separation at the NFL level. That's not to say that Hopkins will not be a good WR eventually (because he has good work ethic), but I just don't think he'll make an immediate impact like you think he will.

Thx to Lil Uno!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't believe Sly Williams or Manti Te'O will amount to much in the NFL.

Just a gut feeling.

I picked Trufant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS: 5th best WR, 38th overall
Kiper: not in top 5 WRs
ESPN insider: 6th WR, 86th overall

Serious reach for Hopkins, imo.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

Rocky Mork?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

Sylvester (Stallone) (Robin) Williams
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
DT is easily just as deep as WR. A guy like Bennie Logan is suppose to go late 3rd-early 4th. You can easily land a guy like Kawann Short or John Jenkins in the 2nd. Sorry but Patton, Hunter, etc. couldnt touch DeAndre Hopkins and they arent nearly as pro-ready. Hopkins gets my vote by a long shot

Pro-Ready and WR shouldn't often be used in conjunction with WR draftees, especially one that, at the earliest, is a late 1st rounder. Because often, WRs (especially those that don't have elite speed like Hopkins) will find it difficult initially to be productive, as they have to work on their route-running to help develop separation at the NFL level. That's not to say that Hopkins will not be a good WR eventually (because he has good work ethic), but I just don't think he'll make an immediate impact like you think he will.

To me, Hopkins and Woods are well worth first round picks, and neither will be available in the 2nd. I think people really underrate these guys' natural catching ability. And by catching ability I don't just mean good hands. I'm talking about high-pointing the ball, concentration, making adjustments to poorly thrown balls, catching away from the body, taking a lick and holding on, etc.. To add to that, these guys look to be more polished as route runners than even the receivers ranked ahead of them. These are the things that'll help them come in and contribute right away. They might not be the biggest or fastest of the bunch, but there's just a 'smootheness' to their game that you don't see in the other guys.

While Hunter and Patton are pretty good prospects themselves, I really don't think they're in the same league.

Hunter's got the measurables, but there are some serious question marks in his game. He's more than likely gone by 52 anyhow.

And Patton looks like a slot receiver to me. He might do some of the little things well, but I just don't see him goin' up to get it, or consistently making the tough grabs like you see with Hopkins and Woods. And any 6' receiver playing on the outside better have that ability.
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
This should be an awfully interesting battle over the next 2 days between Hopkins and Williams. I personally went with Williams for 2 reasons:

1. He's the better player.
2. He fits one of the primary needs.

I also think the Vikings will have decent options at the WR position in the 2nd round. Even if Hopkins isn't there, it's quite likely that they'll be able to choose one of the following there:

Quinton Patton
Terrance Williams
Keenan Allen
Justin Hunter
Markus Wheaton

Any one of them would be alright, while the DTs get a little thinner after Williams and likely there would be less of a chance that a good DT could be taken in the 2nd rd, where you have a slim chance of maybe Kawann Short or John Jenkins being there.
I agree completely.
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViKingHopeful wrote:
disaacs wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:

To me, Hopkins and Woods are well worth first round picks, and neither will be available in the 2nd. I think people really underrate these guys' natural catching ability. And by catching ability I don't just mean good hands. I'm talking about high-pointing the ball, concentration, making adjustments to poorly thrown balls, catching away from the body, taking a lick and holding on, etc.. To add to that, these guys look to be more polished as route runners than even the receivers ranked ahead of them. These are the things that'll help them come in and contribute right away. They might not be the biggest or fastest of the bunch, but there's just a 'smootheness' to their game that you don't see in the other guys.

While Hunter and Patton are pretty good prospects themselves, I really don't think they're in the same league.

Hunter's got the measurables, but there are some serious question marks in his game. He's more than likely gone by 52 anyhow.

And Patton looks like a slot receiver to me. He might do some of the little things well, but I just don't see him goin' up to get it, or consistently making the tough grabs like you see with Hopkins and Woods. And any 6' receiver playing on the outside better have that ability.
What Patton has is speed, hands, and quickness. I don't think you should undervalue speed. Hunter has size and speed. I have a need for speed. Smile
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:

Really dont understand how you are disagreeing with that. How is DT not as deep as WR??

Floyd
Lotulelei
Richardson
J. Williams
Hankins
Jenkins
S. Williams
Short
Logan
Spence
B. Williams

...Now after looking at all those players, you're going to tell me we wont be able to easily land J. Williams, Hankins, Jenkins, Short, or Logan in the 2nd??? I must say you're wrong on that one.

The difference between drafting Sly in the 1st or Short in the 2nd isnt much of a difference. They are very similar players.

On the other hand...drafting Hopkins in the 1st and Patton or Hunter in the 2nd is a pretty big difference in my eyes.

Reasons why??

...Hunter doesnt have near the hands Hopkins has, doesnt have the best balls skills, has zero strength, and didnt have near the production.

...Patton plays in a below average conference, also doesnt have near the hands as Hopkins, and struggles with physical corners (Note: he's struggled with physical corners on below average teams. Struggles with the jump ball battle. Cant imagine what NFL corners will do to him.) Patton just reminds me of a WR like Brian Quick and will end up being a project more than anything. No thanks.

...What makes you think those guys will be any better than Hopkins??

Just because Hunter runs a 4.4 doesnt mean he's going to be a good NFL WR. The last guy we drafted because he was "fast" was Troy Williamson. We must have missed how bad his hands were. Hunter has speed but very inconsistent hands.

Patton ran a 4.53 which is almost exactly like Hopkins. So I really dont see any skill where Patton is better than Hopkins.

The only thing you can knock Hopkins for is his speed which still isnt bad (4.57) and maybe he could bulk up a little more. He played against a lot of good competition and still put up great numbers. He absolutely lit up one of the best defenses in college football (LSU) as well. He's easily one of the most NFL ready WR's in this draft. Patton and Hunter on the other hand, not so much. You might want to re-evaluate your WR's and DT's.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple Faithful wrote:
ViKingHopeful wrote:
disaacs wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:

What Patton has is speed, hands, and quickness. I don't think you should undervalue speed. Hunter has size and speed. I have a need for speed. Smile

Patton ran a 4.53 and Hopkins ran a 4.57. So if Patton has speed, so does Hopkins Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple Faithful wrote:
ViKingHopeful wrote:
What Patton has is speed, hands, and quickness.

Which is great, for a slot receiver. Smile

Purple Faithful wrote:
I don't think you should undervalue speed. Hunter has size and speed. I have a need for speed. Smile

I don't really think I undervalue speed, I've just seen way too many players over-drafted after a fast 40. Woods' speed is one of the reasons I think he's worth a 1st, though. He's a bit smaller and not as physical as Hopkins, but makes up for it with an extra gear and better open-field ability. Woods might also be a better fit in the slot, but I think he's got more potential on the outside than Patton.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Jamar Taylor.

I dont like Sylvester Williams as a first rd pick and Hopkins really isnt much different than most of the 2nd rd receivers.

Taylor is better value here than Williams, and Taylor and is a perfect fit for this team at outside CB. Outside CB is likely a bigger need than DT at this point.

If going the WR route, Quinton Patton is a better pick than Hopkins.

Last edited by vikingsrule on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR DeAndre Hopkins is not even in my top 5 WR.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: