Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lets be real for a second
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ch8878

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets be real for a second Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
Usually even if a left tackle is drafted he will play at RT

Really when has this ever happened ?

Can you name some ?

I know last year Matt Kalil was drafted #5 overall after the Vikings traded back from #4 to #5 with the Browns started day 1 as LT.

Also Matt Kalil was a huge factor in the Vikings playoff push and played great in a division with Clay Matthews Jr. and Julius Peppers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lets be real for a second Reply with quote

ch8878 wrote:
Darbsk wrote:

Can you name some ?

I know last year Matt Kalil was drafted #5 overall after the Vikings traded back from #4 to #5 with the Browns started day 1 as LT.

Also Matt Kalil was a huge factor in the Vikings playoff push and played great in a division with Clay Matthews Jr. and Julius Peppers.

Not usually but it happens sometimes when a LT prospect needs development. The biggest most recent name is probably DALL LT Tyron Smith.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Joe Nobody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lets be real for a second Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
ch8878 wrote:
Darbsk wrote:

Can you name some ?

Not usually but it happens sometimes when a LT prospect needs development. The biggest most recent name is probably DALL LT Tyron Smith.

Robert Gallery played a little guard, but mostly RT as a rookie.
raiderslyfer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VELDHEER played right tackle and center....Volmer is still stuck ay right tackle. Michael Oher was a player that vould play either side. HEY food for thought all of is here have seen veldheers pictures maybe hes preparing himself to move to the right side where Tony Sparano could make him a perennial pro bowler. Picking one of these tackles helps the defense to especially one that is as weak as ours is. Davis wants to pattern the team off the niners well all there linemen are first round draft choices.
Joe Nobody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall JV ever playing RT.
raiderslyfer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We played Veldheer everywhere on the line. His original positipn os RT we just made him a LT
G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Lets be real for a second Reply with quote

ch8878 wrote:
Darbsk wrote:

Can you name some ?

Willie Roaf played RT his rookie year.
raiderslyfer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line is that you need two OT and the big three in this draft can play either side and so can Veldheer
Joe Nobody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeckel would be a horrible fit at RT. He doesn't have enough sand in his pants.
Bone_Collector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Nobody wrote:
I don't recall JV ever playing RT.

+1

I hear ya. JV only played C and LT in games. Perhaps he was getting reps at other positions in TC.

Props to cdUbs14 for the sig!

On the Panthers signing Roman Harper:
Harper41 wrote:
I feel like I just walked in on my brother and my wife.

Laughing
raiderslyfer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe im wrong on JV...and Joekel is the tackle I like the least but that doesnt mean we cant move JV to RT
Darbsk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lets be real for a second Reply with quote

ch8878 wrote:
Darbsk wrote:

Can you name some ?

You missed a huge part of my quote off and probably the most important caveat.......

Darbsk wrote:
Usually even if a left tackle is drafted he will play at RT at least initially and especially with Veldheer already established in the role Fisher may have to stay there. Some would say a RT isn't worth the #3 either. Personally i really like Joeckel and Fisher and would be happy with either.

Those listed above and numerous other college LT's have started their NFL careers on the right side (probably Gallery is the most well known to us, also Khalif Barnes was drafted as a LT) and this would probably be the case with the Oakland Raiders next year IF we drafted a tackle because of Veldheer.

My point being that very few tackles taken actually start and contribute at a high level straight away at LT. As the original poster was commenting on value and how taking a tackle was the best value I thought this was relevant as a RT is obviously less highly valued than a LT.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Nobody wrote:
Joeckel would be a horrible fit at RT. He doesn't have enough sand in his pants.

Yep I think if we draft Joeckel he's an out and out LT, whereas Fisher I think could be a very good RT, very impressed with his technique and strength at the Senior Bowl. Veldheer is the most interesting player for me as i believe he could potentially be an All Pro RT or a Pro Bowl LT..........do you take the gamble on finding a LT and move him???
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
Joe Nobody wrote:

Yep I think if we draft Joeckel he's an out and out LT, whereas Fisher I think could be a very good RT, very impressed with his technique and strength at the Senior Bowl. Veldheer is the most interesting player for me as i believe he could potentially be an All Pro RT or a Pro Bowl LT..........do you take the gamble on finding a LT and move him???

These are rookies and every OT coming out this year will suffer the growing pains associated with the adjustment to the strength of NFL defensive lineman.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
91jmay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisher at LT and JV at RT would be so so good, but we need the picks more than him so trade down is a real necessity.

Allen said he would play the hot hand, in what world is McFadden's hand hot?

He touched Dennis Allen's seat before the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: