Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BBB's Final Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigblueben

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: BBB's Final Mock Reply with quote

Hi guys

So I wanted to squeeze in one more mock before the big day in a couple of weeks' time. The dust has settled for the most part and prospects shouldn't do too much more moving around, so now seemed as good a time as any to get stuck in!

Round 1 - Pick 19
Desmond Trufant - Cornerback - Washington

I'm a big fan of Desmond here. Although lacking real top end speed, he does have very agile feet and fluid footwork. His transition towards the ball is good, and he is an aggressive specimen who is happy to get stuck in. With experience in both man and zone coverage, I see Trufant as someone who can spell in this season and then come in and start opposite Prince in 2014.

Round 2 - Pick 49
Kevin Minter - Linebacker - LSU

With recent free agent linebacker additions by teams previously considered "linebacker hungry", I have to think that one of the top-tier LBs in this draft class falls into our lap in the second round.
Minter doesn't have the athleticism or physicality that some of the other 'backers possess, but he is a very cerebral defender who is often in the right place before the play gets there. I could see Minter taking over in the middle before the season is out.

Round 3 - Pick 81
David Quessenberry - Offensive Lineman - San Jose State

This guy has been in three of the four mocks I have made - he just strikes me as a Giant. His great strength is his versatility, having played everywhere on the line for SJ State. He displayed some nice foot quickness at the Combine, and question marks over his strength should be addressed through NFL conditioning. I would look for him to take some snaps late in games before possibly slotting him in at guard next season.

Round 4 - Pick 116
Josh Evans - Safety - Florida State

In my last mock I called Evans "the eventual replacement for Kenny Phillips". Maybe less of the eventual now. Evans seems like the perfect foil for Stevie Brown, letting him go search for the ball whilst Evans mops up. He'll usually take a tackle over gambling on a pick, which is fine by me. A trio of young and talented safeties in Brown, Evans and Will Hill would put us in a great position going forward.

Round 5 – Pick 152
DeVonte Holloman – Linebacker – South Carolina

This was the hardest pick for me in this draft. There were a few prospects I considered, but ended up with an OLB. Holloman is the second linebacker in this draft with excellent instincts. He shows great anticipation against the pass, and takes good angles to the ball in run situations. His weakness is his lack of flexibility and top speed, which can make him a liability at times when covering tight ends and slot receivers.

These weaknesses will no doubt turn a few people off, but with his great instincts and the in-the-box safety the Giants like to employ, I think you can afford to bring in a playmaker like Holloman and let his nose find the ball.

Round 6 – Pick 187
Conner Vernon – Wide Receiver – Duke

We know Jerry loves a receiver, and I think Vernon here makes sense. OK - he’s a pure slot guy, and he comes in behind Cruz and Jernigan. But we all know how important insurance is, and we still have no idea how the Cruz situation is going to play out. I personally think he is going to play this year under his tender and then move on at the end of the year.

That then leaves us with a relatively untested Jernigan (although if VC does play out under tender I imagine they will find a way to get JJ more snaps in preparation) and the solid-as-a-rock Vernon. He’s never going to be a world beater, but he is a super-reliable inside guy who can consistently get open and move the chains.

Round 7 – Pick 225
Lawrence Okoye – Defensive End?! – British Olympic Athlete

OK so this one could be seen as a homer pick - going after a fellow Brit here. But Okoye has some serious potential in the NFL. For those not familiar with him, I’ll summarise quickly.

Okoye originally was a talented rugby player on the books of one of England’s top sides, who then moved into the discus in the run-up to the London Olympic Games. He is the British record holder, setting the mark at the age of 20. Now 21, he has set his sights on the NFL; whilst over in America training, he applied to take part in the Super Regional Combine in Dallas, and was accepted. His measureables are pretty phenomenal. He came in at 6-foot-6 and 308 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.78, posted a 10-foot-5 broad jump and a 35-inch vertical. His 6.69 3-cone time would have earned him a top-10 placing at the Combine in Indy.

To be truthful, I’m not sure where Okoye would end up playing. Could be DE, could be DT. There are thoughts that he could end up on the offensive line and comparisons to Lane Johnson have been mentioned. Either way, he is pretty much textbook boom-or-bust, and I think well worth a 7th round pick.

Oh, and if there are concerns over his ability to learn the playbook and the intricacies of the game, he turned down an offer to study law at Oxford in order to compete at the Olympics. Seems like he has his head screwed on as well!

Round 7 – Pick 253 (comp)
Ryan Griffin – Tight End – Connecticut

Mr Almost Irrelevant is another one who has been kicking around a few of my mocks. He’s a possession tight end who is never going to break away for an 80 yard TD, but he catches the ball well at the high point and combines that with pretty good size at 6-foot-6. Griffin could well be the tight end that the Giants have been keeping an eye on for the back end of the draft, and I can certainly see Coach Pope turning him into a reliable go-to option for Eli.

So that’s that. It’s been great fun putting these mocks together, and all the kind words for my mocks so far are really appreciated. Here’s to a great draft in 10 days’ time!

mad props to Rase on the sig
dkebones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First four picks (the only ones that I think really count bc 5-7 are such crapshoots) are solid.

I think Trufant would be a little early at 19, but assuming that Warmack, Cooper or Jarvis Jones are all gone by our pick, I'm nitpicking. If we want a top corner, Trufant almost has to be the pick since Rhodes will not do well in Fewell's scheme.

I'd like to know what the free agent linebacker signings were that allows Minter to drop all the way to 49. Between ourselves, Bears, GB, Balti, etc there are plenty of teams that could be picking a MLB.

I said this before when you picked him, and I'll say it again- I love your Josh Evans pick. Solidly underrated defender who played second fiddle on a top-line SEC defense.
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love it. A+. I love the idea of our coaching staff getting their hands on such an athlete in the 7th round.

If I nitpick I think I'd like to see a DE go in the 4th
bigblueben

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys.

dke at 19 the only guy left of the ones you listed was Cooper, but I am of the belief that we don't need to go guard that high. I know we can't continue to rely on late picks along our OL, but I think Trufant makes more sense here.

As for LB, you are probably right and Minter doesn't make it this far. But seeing him in the middle of the second round in a few mocks has me hoping!

giantsman thanks, I certainly think we would be one of the teams best equipped to develop Okoye.

As for DE, I was torn between Holloman and fellow SC man Devin Taylor in the 5th, but ended up thinking (hoping) that one of Tracy and/or Ojomo get a chance and run with it

mad props to Rase on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: