Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If the Redskins were to trade UP in the 1st,who would it be?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinsfanLA wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
aceinthehouse wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Not gonna happen. Turtle posted something the other day which laid out why we can still pay for our rookies with our limited cap space.

Hint: Its because we don't have a 1rst rounder.

In fact, if we did have a 1rst rounder this year, I'd be willing to bet we would trade down out of the first.

I completely see and agree with your assessment.

But doesn't an Orakpo extension, change all that?
Wouldn't that give us 3 or 4 million extra?

Has to get done... like yesterday ... though.

And I am thinking that the Skins want to see some fundamental changes in the way Orakpo tackles before they commit to him long term. He has to stop arm tackling people, its the reason he keeps hurting his pectoral. I doubt that he gets an extension until at least game 10. If he makes it through more than half the season I see an extension in his future.

It would shock me less if we traded Orakpo of a mid first round pick, if for some reason a guy we want slips. I don't want that to happen, but it could.
like who?

Look at this draft and tell me who would we possibly trade a Orakpo for?

There isn't one prospect worthy, even the top 10 picks. It won't happen.

I do agree that Orakpo won't be extended now but I think he should be, it very well could have during the season as you said if he makes it through 1/2 the season healthy.

As for changing the way he arm tackles, I doubt that changes. He's a sack artist, you need to reach for qbs, and you definitely need yours arms when tackling. Guys who don't use their arms when tackling very well usually give up big plays because they don't wrap up and offensive players bounce off their tackle attempts for big gains.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rizzy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
skinsfanLA wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
aceinthehouse wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
Not gonna happen. Turtle posted something the other day which laid out why we can still pay for our rookies with our limited cap space.

In fact, if we did have a 1rst rounder this year, I'd be willing to bet we would trade down out of the first.

And I am thinking that the Skins want to see some fundamental changes in the way Orakpo tackles before they commit to him long term. He has to stop arm tackling people, its the reason he keeps hurting his pectoral. I doubt that he gets an extension until at least game 10. If he makes it through more than half the season I see an extension in his future.

It would shock me less if we traded Orakpo of a mid first round pick, if for some reason a guy we want slips. I don't want that to happen, but it could.
like who?

I do agree that Orakpo won't be extended now but I think he should be, it very well could have during the season as you said if he makes it through 1/2 the season healthy.

As for changing the way he arm tackles, I doubt that changes. He's a sack artist, you need to reach for qbs, and you definitely need yours arms when tackling. Guys who don't use their arms when tackling very well usually give up big plays because they don't wrap up and offensive players bounce off their tackle attempts for big gains.

I agree with you about Orakpo, I like him and hope they extend him. However, I think with the aspect of trading him for a 1st etc we don't necessarily have to find a replacement for specifically Orakpo with that trade. They may decide they don't want to extend him next season so trade him now while you can get someone to help you now as opposed to near the deadline when your hand is forced.

Maybe they decide Rob Jackson is good enough and they trade Orakpo for a later 1st and a 2nd. I think it is similar to Ace's thread about who would be worth us trading into the 1st for. Now you would have a 1st 2 2nd's and a 3rd to find to fill your holes. And if Rob Jackson plays well you sign him to a moderate deal.
NHL-Capitals
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzy wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
skinsfanLA wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
aceinthehouse wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

like who?

I agree with you about Orakpo, I like him and hope they extend him. However, I think with the aspect of trading him for a 1st etc we don't necessarily have to find a replacement for specifically Orakpo with that trade. They may decide they don't want to extend him next season so trade him now while you can get someone to help you now as opposed to near the deadline when your hand is forced.

Maybe they decide Rob Jackson is good enough and they trade Orakpo for a later 1st and a 2nd. I think it is similar to Ace's thread about who would be worth us trading into the 1st for. Now you would have a 1st 2 2nd's and a 3rd to find to fill your holes. And if Rob Jackson plays well you sign him to a moderate deal.
but our defense took a signifigant drop last year without Orakpo's presence out there. They can't possibly think Rob Jackson can be Orakpo and on top of that Rob Jackson is suspended the first four games for PEDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rizzy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what they are thinking just offering my pov of things. Maybe they think Jackson can only get better with a full offseason etc. They could also spend one of those picks on a replacement that they could groom if Jackson doesn't work out. The trade wouldn't be made in the theory that Jackson is just as good if not better than Orakpo but rather that Orakpo isn't worth the extension.
NHL-Capitals
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzy wrote:
I don't know what they are thinking just offering my pov of things. Maybe they think Jackson can only get better with a full offseason etc. They could also spend one of those picks on a replacement that they could groom if Jackson doesn't work out. The trade wouldn't be made in the theory that Jackson is just as good if not better than Orakpo but rather that Orakpo isn't worth the extension.
yeah I agree theyd do it for that reason, but I don't know how they'd come to that conclusion unless Rak can't stay healthy.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not suggesting a trade by any means.......That being said, if you are going to trade the time is now. With his injury history we prolly wouldnt get more than a 5th for him... If he cant make it through another season he is really worthless...we would just have to let him walk next year and get nothing in return.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Im not suggesting a trade by any means.......That being said, if you are going to trade the time is now. With his injury history we prolly wouldnt get more than a 5th for him... If he cant make it through another season he is really worthless...we would just have to let him walk next year and get nothing in return.
true, but how do you know?

Remember, we had these discussions about Landry and I think before you were active we had them about Chris Cooley when he broke his ankle in 09.

You can't trade an injured player or a player coming off injury and get his true market value if he's healthy 9 times out of 10, (which is why I think Revis is still a Jet), so we'll just keep our best pass rusher and hope for the best.

I really think he rushed back last year and was never truly 100%.
TKellion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No turtle I will expect Orakpo to miss at least 6 games due to injury.I will be pleasantly surprised if he doesnt.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKellion wrote:
No turtle I will expect Orakpo to miss at least 6 games due to injury.I will be pleasantly surprised if he doesnt.
Confused That's great why don't we just predict all our best players to get injured... The guy misses one season in 4 years and all of a sudden he's some injury prone player??

There are other players on our team who have a far worse injury history and currently have a much more serious injury than Orakpo had but I don't think anyone would make such a statement about them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: