Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions, QB Matthew Stafford working on a long term deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
WhackyPlague wrote:
I'm not a fan of Stafford, but it could be a good deal for the Lions if they can get him at a discount after a bad year.

Flacco type money isn't a discount.

If he is a franchise SB type winning QB this is worth it.

If he is 2012 Stafford, the Lions ineptitude continues.

It's such a huge risk for the Lions, I can't understand it if the reports are true and the Lions are actually willing to pay him that much.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhackyPlague wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
WhackyPlague wrote:
I'm not a fan of Stafford, but it could be a good deal for the Lions if they can get him at a discount after a bad year.

Flacco type money isn't a discount.

If he is a franchise SB type winning QB this is worth it.

If he is 2012 Stafford, the Lions ineptitude continues.

It's such a huge risk for the Lions, I can't understand it if the reports are true and the Lions are actually willing to pay him that much.

If it works out, Stafford becomes a superstar, frees up cap space so we can add pieces, and we build a dynasty.

If it doesn't, we are hindered by a franchise crippling contract for years. Already hurt by the Megatron and Suh contracts.

Really don't think there is a middle ground if this goes through.
tom cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move here by Detroit. Stafford's a solid QB for a team to have.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Stafford said he would love a long term deal and said talks are ongoing. He said he isn't too worried about it

http://twitter.com/ttwentyman/statuses/324168011135201280

Quote:
Stafford said he wants to get a contract done and front office wants to get one done and he's hopeful it happens.

http://twitter.com/ttwentyman/statuses/324170518234271744

Quote:
Stafford: I don't want to break contract records, I want to break records on the field.

http://twitter.com/ttwentyman/statuses/324171217940668420

LOL on the last comment.
Tom Brady Tribute
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Stafford said he would love a long term deal and said talks are ongoing. He said he isn't too worried about it

Quote:
Stafford said he wants to get a contract done and front office wants to get one done and he's hopeful it happens.

Quote:
Stafford: I don't want to break contract records, I want to break records on the field.

LOL on the last comment.

Nothing really funny about last comment. Saying his play matteres more then record contract. Of course you along with media will try to spin his poor wording.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL on the last comment.

Nothing really funny about last comment. Saying his play matteres more then record contract. Of course you along with media will try to spin his poor wording.

I think he just means because of how cliche it is Laughing
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Laughing you guys crack me up. I'm gonna be having fun on here when Foles starts lighting the league up. I already know its going to be, "complete product of Chip Kelly's offense." Gonna be fun though.

While I'm not sold on Stafford right now, Foles is nothing but a fringe backup.

Just a case of arguing against general agreement. Theres a word for it...

What's a word for people who can't see anything beyond what is considered conventional wisdom so in turn they resent anyone with an original thought and dismiss them as contrarians?

Laughing You're never right.
Let's not derail the thread. Stafford is going to be mad overpaid. Maybe the money will drive him to live up to his potential?

Not sure how you can say that. I was correct about pretty much everything this season.

No...you just act like you are right about everything you are wrong about, which as stated, is pretty much everything.

And you predict the Ravens to win the SB every year, and its always based pretty much entirely on your incredibly biased views. So Im sorry to say, no one is impressed with that.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Laughing you guys crack me up. I'm gonna be having fun on here when Foles starts lighting the league up. I already know its going to be, "complete product of Chip Kelly's offense." Gonna be fun though.

What's a word for people who can't see anything beyond what is considered conventional wisdom so in turn they resent anyone with an original thought and dismiss them as contrarians?

Let's not derail the thread. Stafford is going to be mad overpaid. Maybe the money will drive him to live up to his potential?

Not sure how you can say that. I was correct about pretty much everything this season.

No...you just act like you are right about everything you are wrong about, which as stated, is pretty much everything.

And you predict the Ravens to win the SB every year, and its always based pretty much entirely on your incredibly biased views. So Im sorry to say, no one is impressed with that.

Fact

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in seeing what his guaranteed money and 3 year contract will look like. By 2017 it too will be restructure like every other 100 million dollar QB who has signed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

You're in denial.

And what do you do? Criticize anyone who thinks something new will happen I.e. Seattle being hyped last offseason. You think completely in a box. You have no original thoughts and can't imagine anything unexpected happening. And you can't stand anyone who does because obviously no one can know anything FourThreeMafia doesn't. Just accept you don't know this game as well as you think.

Free Ray Rice
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with what he suh and megatron would make they need him too

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Even a blind man is eventually going to hit the target if he shoots enough shots.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As KillerNacho alluded to on p1, Stafford has two years left on his rookie deal, which was signed prior to the rookie wage scale. For a guy of Stafford's natural talent, age, and body of work I would normally recommend trying to lock him up now in an effort to get him at a lesser amount by buying out his remaining two "cheap" years and offering him asome guarenteed $ now. Unfortunately, he has big bucks left in his remaining two years, so he doesn't really have any motivation to accept something less than what Romo/Flacco are getting. Since they won't really be able to exert any leverage in this case, the Lions would probably just be opening themselves up to some financial risk by extending Stafford at this point, especially considering that he has had some injury issues. Probably no reason for either side to meet the other one "in the middle" at this point. I'd expect something to get done next offseason, assuming the two remaining years figure is correct.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested in what kind of money DET will be willing to offer. Stafford is a very good QB that IMO will only get better.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Mistake. They need to move on. Guy is terrible.

"Terrible"? Really...?

Confused

Stafford is far from "terrible". Obviously he had a down year in 2012, but was outstanding in 2011. Kid has a lot of potential and the best option for the Lions right now. There were times Joe Flacco looked "terrible" too. Good thing for the Ravens they didn't give up on him early...

Anyway, while I do think Stafford can be a good QB, this resigning seems premature. Hopefully for the Lions he doesn't get one of those mega-deals... would want to see how he plays in 2013 first.
This isn't really premature. He was drafted 1 year after Flacco and Flacco ran out his whole contract. Lions are doing it 1 year before it runs out. Romos hadn't run out either.

Stafford hasn't proven as much as Flacco, or even Romo.

I'm optimistic about Stafford myself but for all we know, 2011 was the anomaly and 2012 was the real Stafford. Signing him to a long-term deal now is very risky.
Well in 2012 we had multiple WR injuries and our TE's had their worst years. We also missed the presence of Jahvid Best. In 2011 our WR's were healthy, our TE's played to their abilities, and we had Best for a little bit. Based off of those things 2012 seems to be the anomaly.

He still had 16 games out of the #1 WR in the NFL, Calvin Johnson, yet couldn't even post an 80 passer rating as a fourth-year player. And let's not pretend his biggest flaw - ball security - is new. He only had one more interception in 2012 than he did in 2011.

Kid has a big arm and can get the ball down the field. But to be honest, it still remains to be seen whether he can grow in terms of pocket presence and reading NFL defenses. It would be interesting to see Stafford's stats without Calvin Johnson.

Nacho Simulation Football League

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: