Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who's your vote for "Shocker" at 15?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Who's your vote for "Shocker" at 15? Reply with quote

With the draft drawing near, who’s your pick as a player you feel may not be on many peoples radar but you could see the Saints pulling a shocker and taking him higher than expected?

My pick…

Datone Jones DE UCLA

Why?

Big, physical specimen with huge wingspan and elite power. Quick first step makes him a disruptive penetrator and large heavy frame gives him the base to set the edge. A future 3 man defensive front of Jordan, Hicks & Jones could be special.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie Collins. This one isn't even close.
krewebrees

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually really like Datone Jones. He is my 2nd highest DE in this draft, 2nd to only Sharrif Floyd. Jones plays insanly fast and doesn't even blink at play action. Depending on who is available, and if we can't trade down, I wouldn't have any proble Keith us taking Jones at 15.

My surprise pick:
Arthur Brown
Most people think that he is only a 4-3 linebacker. I disagree. I personally think he would play great as a will (WILB) next to Lofton. He's good good in coverage, something we lack with our linebackers, and has great run reads. I have him a close 2nd to Ogletree at ILB. But if his off the field issues scares Payton and Loomis, Brown could be the top ILB. This would be a nice starting group if they see Wilson as an outside:

WOLB: Galette
WILB: Brown
SILB: Lofton
SOLB: Wilson
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
I actually really like Datone Jones. He is my 2nd highest DE in this draft, 2nd to only Sharrif Floyd. Jones plays insanly fast and doesn't even blink at play action. Depending on who is available, and if we can't trade down, I wouldn't have any proble Keith us taking Jones at 15.

My surprise pick:
Arthur Brown
Most people think that he is only a 4-3 linebacker. I disagree. I personally think he would play great as a will (WILB) next to Lofton. He's good good in coverage, something we lack with our linebackers, and has great run reads. I have him a close 2nd to Ogletree at ILB. But if his off the field issues scares Payton and Loomis, Brown could be the top ILB. This would be a nice starting group if they see Wilson as an outside:

I really believe that ILB is incredibly low on the needs list. Will Vilma, Hawthorne, Lofton, and hopefully Wilson...I think that we will be fine at that position. Unless he is the next Ray Lewis...I say no. But honestly I would like him more than Ogletree...who I think may so stupid that he is a danger to himself. I would hate for him to live in the same city as me.

I would be ok w/ Datone Jones. I have him as my #3 DE behind Star and Richardson. I also have the three OTs, JJ, D. Jordan, and Collins higher on my big board. I think that Richardson, JJ, and Collins all have the possibility of being there...and I would take all three over D. Jones.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
Jamie Collins. This one isn't even close.

Same here

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
krewebrees

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
krewebrees wrote:

My surprise pick:
Arthur Brown

I really believe that ILB is incredibly low on the needs list. Will Vilma, Hawthorne, Lofton, and hopefully Wilson...I think that we will be fine at that position. Unless he is the next Ray Lewis...I say no. But honestly I would like him more than Ogletree...who I think may so stupid that he is a danger to himself. I would hate for him to live in the same city as me.

I would be ok w/ Datone Jones. I have him as my #3 DE behind Star and Richardson. I also have the three OTs, JJ, D. Jordan, and Collins higher on my big board. I think that Richardson, JJ, and Collins all have the possibility of being there...and I would take all three over D. Jones.

I Have Star at NT, higher than Jones,but I different position. I like Jones more than Richardson. I agree depending on who's avaialable. I too have the 3 OTs, JJ and Jordan higher, but it's a surprise picks.

Agree to disagree at ILB. Tez could play either inside or out. If they play him at outside we either have to start either Vilma or Hawthorne, not terrible but could improve.

Neither one are my top choices, but I would like them and they would both be a surprise.
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon sandcastle

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson
ATT YDS TD LONG
40 215 1 62

Keenan Lewis
T PD
11 3
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
Leon sandcastle

Harry Sanderstein will also be a beast...but would further confuse the RB situation.
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:
Leon sandcastle

Harry Sanderstein will also be a beast...but would further confuse the RB situation.

Man could you imagine if we had harry during his prime? Good Lord

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson
ATT YDS TD LONG
40 215 1 62

Keenan Lewis
T PD
11 3
MPjeffryred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Surprise Reply with quote

I am beginning to have a sneaky suspicion that the Saints may try to trade up to the Jets at #9 if Lane Johnson is still available. The price would be their third round pick, #75 and Chris Ivory. The Saints may also ask for a seventh rounder this year to have at least five picks. That seventh rouder could be repaid with a 2014 pick which disappears if Ivory performs above certain expectations.
The only area of need that does not have an adequate amount of quality and depth is left tackle. And, as Sean Payton said, it keeps him up at night. Why would they meet with Johnson this past week if he would be long gone at #15? They have signed a promising linebacker in Victor Butler, a starting (before injury)5 technique defensive end in Coleman, a starting cornerback from Pittsburg (Keenan Lewis) a tight end in Ben Watson and a backup QB in Seneca Wallace. Yes, they signed Jason Smith, but that could have been cover or for depth. Actually, I see Strief and perhaps Will Smith being released. If Marcel Jones is recovered, he may be ready to take over at RT anyway. Charles Brown can return to backing up both tackle positions and maybe start in the early part of the year.
We do have some players who have not yet contributed for one reason or another, mainly due to injury. I like the above players, but think of the cap savings with Will Smith, Vilma and Strief not being fully paid.

Will Greg Romeus finally emerge and contribute at DE? Will Hawthorne and Chamberlin step up at LB? And, may we already have good rush OLB' s in the form of Martez Wilson and Junior Gallete? Corey White, CB is back and looked good in 2012 before being hurt; Rafael Bush has promise and was re-signed as were Will Herring and Ramon Humber. Will Vilma actually play or become an assistant coach of some sort?

If this might happen, I have the following suggestions.

4th Safety help with J. J. Wilcox, Tony Jefferson or Duke Williams
5th DT In the early fifth, perhaps Benny Logan or Kwame Geathers
6th Rush LB Travis Johnson from San Jose State
7th TE Luke Wilson of Rice was hurt last year and Vance McDonald shined with the opportunity, but Wilson is more athletic and faster. He runs in the 4.5 to 4.6 range and could be a steal.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Surprise Reply with quote

The only two players I'd be willing to trade up for are Lane Johnson & Dion Jordan. Johnson because of the dire need at left tackle and his upside is higher than any tackle in the draft. Jordan because I feel the dude will develop into a dominate edge rusher in space. Other than those two, I'd prefer to trade back and target Datone Jones. Really don't like anyone at 15.

MPjeffryred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Surprise Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
The only two players I'd be willing to trade up for are Lane Johnson & Dion Jordan. Johnson because of the dire need at left tackle and his upside is higher than any tackle in the draft. Jordan because I feel the dude will develop into a dominate edge rusher in space. Other than those two, I'd prefer to trade back and target Datone Jones. Really don't like anyone at 15.

In my previous posts, I agreed with that strategy. But, I am wondering and the Saints front office does not reveal their hand. They have done a good job with free agency so far. So, I do not think there are too many holes to fill with the selections they have as far as immediate impact. I have mentioned trading with the Rams, our #15 for their #22, and their third and fourth round picks, #78 and #113. I am comfortable with that, but wonder if the front office is trying to grab Lane Johnson. I would take Jones at #22, hopefully Brandon Williams @#75, Bacarri Rambo at #78, Dion Sims at #109, Brennan Williams or Chris Faulk@ #113, DT @144 either Logan or Geathers, and with our sixth round pick, Travis Johnson, OLB.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Surprise Reply with quote

MPjeffryred wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:

In my previous posts, I agreed with that strategy. But, I am wondering and the Saints front office does not reveal their hand. They have done a good job with free agency so far. So, I do not think there are too many holes to fill with the selections they have as far as immediate impact. I have mentioned trading with the Rams, our #15 for their #22, and their third and fourth round picks, #78 and #113. I am comfortable with that, but wonder if the front office is trying to grab Lane Johnson. I would take Jones at #22, hopefully Brandon Williams @#75, Bacarri Rambo at #78, Dion Sims at #109, Brennan Williams or Chris Faulk@ #113, DT @144 either Logan or Geathers, and with our sixth round pick, Travis Johnson, OLB.

I'd love to move down get extra picks and grab D. Jones but I don't feel he gets past the Colts at 24. Maybe Dallas at 18 would be willing to trade the 80th pick to move up to 15 if Vaccaro, Warmack or Richardson is still available.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: