Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jerron McMillian and Safety Need
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fattlipp wrote:
I'm excited to see what Sean Richardson can do with his health back and a years experience. He's my dark horse to win the SS position. He has size and ball skills.

How do you know that?
EB29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
packattack86 wrote:
I for one am not high on Elam as I think Jerron has nice upside and also this draft has good safety depth so I'd rather use a high pick on a different position and gamble on a talented safety later on. Elam's height also bothers me.

Hard to fight ya on that. Elam has a mold and style that is clearly not for everyone. I'm a fan though and feel he would bring every bit as much to the room as he would to the football field. This team needs a few tone setters and that's Elam all day long!

Seems like every draft you say this D needs that player who will give us some swag. How come they never draft "that guy". Just where the value meets the slot so to speak?

JTagg7754 with the Dope Sig ^^

Jon Gruden wrote:
Great Snatch catch ability there by Nicks
Madtown

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EB29 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
packattack86 wrote:
I for one am not high on Elam as I think Jerron has nice upside and also this draft has good safety depth so I'd rather use a high pick on a different position and gamble on a talented safety later on. Elam's height also bothers me.

Hard to fight ya on that. Elam has a mold and style that is clearly not for everyone. I'm a fan though and feel he would bring every bit as much to the room as he would to the football field. This team needs a few tone setters and that's Elam all day long!

Seems like every draft you say this D needs that player who will give us some swag. How come they never draft "that guy". Just where the value meets the slot so to speak?

I know Palmy was hoping for Hightower to be that guy in the draft last year. I thought worthy might be that guy last year, but he kind of disappointed and now he's hurt. Having Bishop back this year will really help. Elam definitely would help there too. I really like to have those disruptive guys up the middle of a defense.

Of course you're not going to match him up with Rudolph or some of the other big TE's, which is a big issue for a SS
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
My issues at safety has very little to do with McMillian and what he could be. One just needs to understand what type of safety that young man is.

IMO this staff has too much stock in Jennings, not McMillian! Jennings graded out far better last year than I felt he would going into the season. But I'm not sure I would bet the farm on "that guy" long term.

I am getting tired of Jennings, and FAST. Never liked him, and he is absolutely not s starting safety in this league. Would love to see McMillian get the attention that Jennings got last year going in to this year, especially if we don't get "that guy" come draft day.[/quote]

Agreed, McMillian is the better player. Jennings is ok as a back-up but certainly not as a starter. Jennings has a lot of flaws with his fundamentals, mainly tackling which has been an issue with the secondary for a couple years now and the reason we seem them getting burnt from time to time. You look at Slowpoke as a slap-tackler who, with that shoulder injury, has become less and less aggressive. Then you have Jennings who likes to drag down the player, Burnett tends to bend at the waist a bit and swipe at players. The CB is better than the Safety position at this point, but that's simply because we have Shields, Hayward, and a hopefully healthy House coming back. It's an area that needs significant improvement from a fundamental standpoint.

I worry we won't address it in this draft and apparently Ted might need to watch us get burnt in the playoffs by quicker, more aggressive receivers in order for him to finally do something serious about it. Obviously, that starts with jettisoning Slowpoke and Jennings.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madtown wrote:
EB29 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
packattack86 wrote:

I know Palmy was hoping for Hightower to be that guy in the draft last year. I thought worthy might be that guy last year, but he kind of disappointed and now he's hurt. Having Bishop back this year will really help. Elam definitely would help there too. I really like to have those disruptive guys up the middle of a defense.

Of course you're not going to match him up with Rudolph or some of the other big TE's, which is a big issue for a SS

It was Upshaw I believe.

I also would be fine with Elam in early 2 if we were to trade back.
Shish wrote:
Hyde just lost his cutlerginity.
Madtown

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Madtown wrote:
EB29 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
packattack86 wrote:

It was Upshaw I believe.

I also would be fine with Elam in early 2 if we were to trade back.

Doh, yep, that's who I meant. Upshaw who went to the Ravens.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I DO know...If we all saw McMillian on paper THIS year, we'd be gushing over him Very Happy
jfinley88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
One thing I DO know...If we all saw McMillian on paper THIS year, we'd be gushing over him Very Happy

I'd be gushing over him last year if there had been any youtube tape available. Laughing .
Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really going to tell us how the coaches feel about the safety spot come draft weekend. From I believe from Capers own mouth he feels that the safety is a very tough one to learn in his scheme. I just don't want to see our two safeties whoever they are looking at each and asking who was supposed to be where after a big play in given up. I also hope that they don't give up on a player too soon,m which I am sure that they won't that is more for drunk fans at bars.

Last edited by Kampman74 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madtown

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
It is really going to tell us how the coaches feel about the safety spot come draft weekend. From I believe Capers own mouth he feels that the safety is a very tough one to learn in his scheme. I just don't want to see our two safeties whoever they are looking at each and asking who was supposed to be where after a big play in given up. I also hope that they don't give up on a player too soon,m which I am sure that they won't that is more for drunk fans at bars.

Good point. So, Palmy, not to single you out, but really trying to single you out because of your experiences interviewing these guys ( Very Happy ), who of these rookies do you think can come in and handle this scheme by the first few regular season games? Any of them?
palmy50

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madtown wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
It is really going to tell us how the coaches feel about the safety spot come draft weekend. From I believe Capers own mouth he feels that the safety is a very tough one to learn in his scheme. I just don't want to see our two safeties whoever they are looking at each and asking who was supposed to be where after a big play in given up. I also hope that they don't give up on a player too soon,m which I am sure that they won't that is more for drunk fans at bars.

Good point. So, Palmy, not to single you out, but really trying to single you out because of your experiences interviewing these guys ( Very Happy ), who of these rookies do you think can come in and handle this scheme by the first few regular season games? Any of them?

It would be tough for any of them. Capers system at safety is anything but an easy pull. Burnett has an elite football IQ and it took him some time. Same can be said for just about every safety that has played the fit over the years. Why I have said over and over that there is a true premium on reps played back there. Also why I'm not a fan of molding a CB into a safety in this system. Hell, Woodson had a hard time with it and that cat is as smart as they come.

Only way I can see a rookie safety starting week1 is if they use a very high pick on one and want to get him his reps because of said pick. The reps Jennings and McMillian just got are priceless though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: