Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jerron McMillian and Safety Need
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madtown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Jerron McMillian and Safety Need Reply with quote

I have been one that has been in the Matt Elam to GB camp for a while now. A big part of the reason is that, along with his skill, I think GB could really use his speed back there to compliment Burnett.

Recently I heard a conversation (maybe on Green & Gold Today or some other local radio show) that McMillian tested well in his pre-draft workouts. Here's what I'm finding:

ESPN Combine #'s: 40: 4.56; 3-Cone: 6.69; 20 Shuttle: 4.22
NFL.com Combine #'s: 40: 4.42; 3-Cone: 6.69; 20 Shuttle: 4.22
NFL Draft Scout Combine #'s: 40: 4.47; 3-Cone: 6.69; 20 Shuttle: 4.22
NFL Draft Scout Pro Day #'s: 40: 4.35; 3-Cone: N/A ; 20 Shuttle: N/A

First of all, can anyone verify which combine 40 number is correct? Second, if these higher numbers are correct, are we selling McMillian short?

We all know it generally takes a lot of reps for it to click for safeties in this scheme. Did we just not see his athletic ability because he was thinking too much? With a year under his belt, along with a full offseason, is it possible that McMillian really is the speedy guy GB needs to pair with Burnett?

I still think Elam would look good in GB, but do we think any of these rookies are going to be able to step in and just play at full speed?

d'oh! Brick wall

This draft really has my head a spinnin'.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerron McMillian and Safety Need Reply with quote

I at least never sold the guy short. It was never his athleticism I questioned. He supposedly has high football IQ as well. It's his ball skills that I'm worried about and pretty much has been for a while. He was only benched for getting lost, and he'll learn the system. He's our "3rd Safety" in Capers system.

I'll also add that I don't really like Elam, but he is a fit despite his height and deficiencies.
packfan4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like McMillian, think he definitely has intriguing upside but like Hypon said, not sold on his ball skills what so ever. We miss Nick Collins so much back there, would love to see another rangy FS type added with Burnett sliding over to SS. Think McMillian would be a nice guy to use in the Woodson type rover role as an extra DB in our Dime Defense, use him near the LOS and let use him to matchup against TE's.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/2012-Combine-workout-S-Jerron-McMillian/271db2e6-2695-4ea7-bb58-51876c3b1145

4.56, the slowest of the times but it doesn't mean he's not explosive.

I lot of people support him as the safety next to Burnett. He has a lot of good traits similar to who's available this year and he's not only already on the roster but has a year in the system.

For me it comes down to value and fit and I don't see the safety this year that I LOVE in the fit and that takes everyone's value down in my eyes. I don't want to spend a first or second on a guy who's not made to excel in the scheme which to me includes a fair amount of coverage and deep responsibility. So while I like a player such as Elam, I'm not enamored because he's not what I really want opposite Burnett. First round pick Elam or fourth round pick McMillian, value is much better in my eyes on McMillian.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with McMillian on paper guys. I had him at 4.46 at the Combine and our area guy had him at 4.34 at the Pro-Day, though it was a very fast track and he came in 8lbs lighter than the Combine.

Either way, that's a very explosive athlete at position. The problem is he is a stiff athlete as well and has a playing style most would like far less the further he gets down field. Capers likes having three of them out there. McMillian has a place at this Packers table for sure.

My issues at safety has very little to do with McMillian and what he could be. One just needs to understand what type of safety that young man is.

IMO this staff has too much stock in Jennings, not McMillian! Jennings graded out far better last year than I felt he would going into the season. But I'm not sure I would bet the farm on "that guy" long term.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jennings is the new Jarrett Bush. Can play CB or S, plays special teams. I think Bush may be too pricey for what he brings come next contract.

I think with a year of coaching McMillian will be improved and eat into the snaps that MD was getting.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Madtown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember him being a stiff athlete in college? He did seem stiff this year for sure. I just was second guessing my recollection that he really is stiff and now wondering if he was just thinking too much. Either way, he definitely has a place out there. If you're saying he has those issues, then he does.
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Nothing wrong with McMillian on paper guys. I had him at 4.46 at the Combine and our area guy had him at 4.34 at the Pro-Day, though it was a very fast track and he came in 8lbs lighter than the Combine.

Either way, that's a very explosive athlete at position. The problem is he is a stiff athlete as well and has a playing style most would like far less the further he gets down field. Capers likes having three of them out there. McMillian has a place at this Packers table for sure.

My issues at safety has very little to do with McMillian and what he could be. One just needs to understand what type of safety that young man is.

IMO this staff has too much stock in Jennings, not McMillian! Jennings graded out far better last year than I felt he would going into the season. But I'm not sure I would bet the farm on "that guy" long term.

I am getting tired of Jennings, and FAST. Never liked him, and he is absolutely not s starting safety in this league. Would love to see McMillian get the attention that Jennings got last year going in to this year, especially if we don't get "that guy" come draft day.

XBL: ShiiNyIV
cpnesdude41

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

I am getting tired of Jennings, and FAST. Never liked him, and he is absolutely not s starting safety in this league. Would love to see McMillian get the attention that Jennings got last year going in to this year, especially if we don't get "that guy" come draft day.

I disagree. I think Jennings is going to be OK. Wouldn't mind an upgrade but not gonna tear my hair out over either.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madtown wrote:
Do you remember him being a stiff athlete in college? He did seem stiff this year for sure. I just was second guessing my recollection that he really is stiff and now wondering if he was just thinking too much. Either way, he definitely has a place out there. If you're saying he has those issues, then he does.

I don't think there is any doubt McMillian is a hair on the stiff side. That said, there are a bunch of starters in the league at position that are stiff as well and most can't run like McMillian can. I think McMillian has a chance to be a real damn good football player. Just a different type of safety right there, that's all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am not high on Elam as I think Jerron has nice upside and also this draft has good safety depth so I'd rather use a high pick on a different position and gamble on a talented safety later on. Elam's height also bothers me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

packattack86 wrote:
I for one am not high on Elam as I think Jerron has nice upside and also this draft has good safety depth so I'd rather use a high pick on a different position and gamble on a talented safety later on. Elam's height also bothers me.

Hard to fight ya on that. Elam has a mold and style that is clearly not for everyone. I'm a fan though and feel he would bring every bit as much to the room as he would to the football field. This team needs a few tone setters and that's Elam all day long!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TT will draft a safety this year for competition and depth, but he will not pull the trigger in the early rounds. I believe, in the end, TT will shore up the DL and OL early and work on the other areas later in the draft. We may very well see DE, OT, and OLB in the first 3 picks, and certainly the first 4 picks.
Frank-O

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpnesdude41 wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

I disagree. I think Jennings is going to be OK. Wouldn't mind an upgrade but not gonna tear my hair out over either.

I miss the days when we complained about having Charlie Peprah back there...Jennings is bad. I recall him missing a lot of tackles out there and definitely don't recall him making any "impact" plays other than the last play of the Seahawks game.

McMillian on the other hand looked pretty damn solid for a 4th round rookie. Seemed like he was always around the ball and was pretty technically sound. I like his potential here and definitely want him on the field over MD.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited to see what Sean Richardson can do with his health back and a years experience. He's my dark horse to win the SS position. He has size and ball skills.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: