Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

should the Vikes Corner the market on a Back?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoverInTheCold wrote:
I really think the stars are starting to align for us taking Sly Williams at #23 and Te'o at #25. IMO, that means WR almost has to be the pick at #52. And unless they're convinced a potential starter at WR is going to be sitting there for them in the 3rd, I think that's the right call.

That leaves 3-4 as the rounds we target a CB, IMO. I see them focusing on Wreh-Wilson or Will Davis, two players they had meetings with.

I'm glad people are starting to come around to this (though I think Te'o before Sly)
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggsohnasty wrote:
this defense in order to take the next step towards being an elite one needs a true ballhawk/playmaker in the back 7. Rules these days are set up too much for the offenses to succeed for defenses to be good without forcing turnovers.

Agreed. Since Frazier came to the Vikings in 2007, we've ranked top 20 in the league for interceptions only once (17th in 2010).

Here are the rankings for the 8 teams in this year's divisional playoffs:
Baltimore -- 19th
Denver -- 13th
New England -- 5th
Houston -- 14th
Seattle -- 8th
Atlanta -- 5th
San Francisco -- 16th
Green Bay -- 8th

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2012&seasonType=REG

Could be coincidence, but you can't argue the importance of interceptions in today's game. We've seen so many dropped picks from our linebackers and secondary in recent years, I think it's about time we bring in some play-makers on this D!

I don't know how much of a liability guys like Banks or Amerson are in coverage, but I do know they're a couple of lanky corners with the ball skills to go up and get it every once in a while. I'd be fine with either guy in the 2nd.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 2h
FWIW, agent of an avail. FA CB (decent player) said he was told the #Vikings will wait to see what they get in draft before going FA route.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikes CB needs are as important as any on the roster, so when you have 3 or 4 positions where you need playmakers & leaders, doesn't it make total sense to take the legitimate BPA?

Yes, MLB (IMO) should be a 1st Rnd pick. However, whether the other pick is a WR, CB, DT or OG, I'm not overly biased one way or the other.

The current roster actually boasts two pretty solid young corners . . . and both have suffered under the spotlight. Cook has obvious talent, size and speed and he needs to step up for 19 games next season Wink .

I think Robinson, with a year under his belt, should be the other starter. No one can deny his athletic speed -- can we trust the mental part of his game speed will catch up? Jefferson is as stated . . . average.

I don't think the Vikes should spend a 1st Rd pick on a CB that's under 6' 0" or slower than 4.40. Now, if one gets into the 3rd Rd, a guy that's 5'10" or 5'11" with sub 4.5 speed, hits runners and has good ball skills is very palatable. I'm also not sold on the whole man vs zone skills . . . players can be coached, if they want to be. The downside is, sometimes coaching and development take more than 2 years.

The Vikes need starters and starting-quality depth now.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 2h
FWIW, agent of an avail. FA CB (decent player) said he was told the #Vikings will wait to see what they get in draft before going FA route.

Interesting. If I had to speculate I would guess Stanford Routt. We had intrest in him last offseason and the current CB market is pedestrian. The draft couldn't get here any sooner.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to like David Amerson for this defense. In studying him, I find that most of his INTs come in zone coverage. He does an excellent job of baiting QBs in trail coverage, which helps him make a lot of his plays.

He has the size Minnesota covets at the position and ran faster than many expected. However, his most desirable trait is his ball skills. He is very opportunistic and his adept at creating turnovers, something this defense could stand an upgrade at.

He is an inconsistent tackler but that can be adjusted at the next level. He also has trouble defending double moves but in a Cover 2 scheme he will have Safety help over the top while he continues to develop his game. Put Robinson inside in the Winfield role along with Cook and Amerson and I think we could have a great secondary.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - MLB
2/3 - DT/CB
4 - WR
5 - OG

I think getting that pass rushing DT, will help our CBs out.
In a 4-3, you gotta take the QBs time away with pressure from the middle of that D-Line

Last edited by CriminalMind on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McShay has Amerson as a 4th rounder....
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:

Ugh. Both Kiper and McShay are washed up. Before I didn't agree with on a lot of their rankings but they were very good at actually projected where players would come off the board. Last year they weren't very good and this year, with so many new draft analysts gaining popularity they try too hard to be different. IMO, the only guys worth listening to are Mike Mayock and Greg Cossell.

I will admit that Amerson loses value because he is scheme limited but I still very much doubt he escapes the second round.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's a late second, early to mid-third rounder myself, but 100% not a first rounder.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
I think he's a late second, early to mid-third rounder myself, but 100% not a first rounder.

Agreed. I was interested in him at 52.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:

Ugh. Both Kiper and McShay are washed up. Before I didn't agree with on a lot of their rankings but they were very good at actually projected where players would come off the board. Last year they weren't very good and this year, with so many new draft analysts gaining popularity they try too hard to be different. IMO, the only guys worth listening to are Mike Mayock and Greg Cossell.

I will admit that Amerson loses value because he is scheme limited but I still very much doubt he escapes the second round.

McShay has always been a hack. While Kiper has lost a lot over the past few years, I still respect him, because guys like McShay and Mayock wouldn't have a job if not for Kiper.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
this providence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amerson is more likely a safety at this level than a corner. And I'd bet he'll wash out on both. Safety just isn't all that viable of a need on this roster than other spots; especially for a guy who you're projecting to use a fairly valuable pick on. Certainly not in favor of the Vikings using any of their picks before the 4th round on him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like Amerson at CB for most schemes, but I think he is an interesting Safety or tweener prospect. I think the Giants would be an ideal fit since they employ a lot 3 safety looks. I just dont see an ideal CB in Amerson, espcially for a Cover 2 scheme where short area quickness is key.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I dont like Amerson at CB for most schemes, but I think he is an interesting Safety or tweener prospect. I think the Giants would be an ideal fit since they employ a lot 3 safety looks. I just dont see an ideal CB in Amerson, espcially for a Cover 2 scheme where short area quickness is key.

The way I view Amerson is that he can be a good Cover 2 corner, but not a good Cover 2 safety. In a man scheme I don't like him as a corner, but he could be a good rover safety. He has a strong understanding of zones and is really heady in shallow zones, an area we struggle in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: