Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

should the Vikes Corner the market on a Back?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: should the Vikes Corner the market on a Back? Reply with quote

since the loss of Winfield as elevated drafting cornerback help to a higher priority, perhaps even 1st or 2nd round, let's read folks' thoughts on the following guys. or any others they'd like to add to the mix.

Desmond Trufant
6'0, 190#
Washington, senior

Jamar Taylor
5'11, 192#
Boise State, redshirt senior

Johnthan Banks
6'2, 185#
Mississippi State, senior

David Amerson
6'1, 205#
North Carolina State, junior

D.J. Hayden
5'11, 191#
Houston, senior

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the cornerback class is deep enough to where the vikings can get a very good player in the 2nd/3rd round.

I thinks it's a given that the team uses one of their 1st round picks on a middle linebacker, as they need an immediate starter at the position. But the other pick in the 1st round is where it gets interesting. Personally, I like the idea of using that pick on a defensive tackle like Jesse Williams or Jonathan Hankins, and solidifying the front seven. Then checking on value and grabbing the cornerback or wide receiver in the second round, and potentially using their 3rd round pick and two 4th round picks to trade up high into the 3rd round or even back into the 2nd round and drafting the cornerback or receiver that they didn't draft earlier.

Xavier Rhodes is the only CB that I'd take in the first round. But in the second or third round I'm very interested in Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Darius Slay, Jamar Taylor, and David Amerson. All four of those guys have the size and speed that we need in this defense. D.J. Hayden is the intriguing one of the list. Now that he's been cleared medically, it will be interesting to see where teams put him on their boards.

Last edited by SemperFeist on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read several negative reviews of Amerson......I think they need a starting CB, maybe two. I do not trust one of the guys they have.
marshpit23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Vikings scheme, I like:

1. Xavier Rhodes
2. David Amerson
3. Blidi Wreh-Wilson
4. DJ Hayden

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
I have read several negative reviews of Amerson.

what do we have here?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
I have read several negative reviews of Amerson......I think they need a starting CB, maybe two. I do not trust one of the guys they have.

Aggression is the only negative that I've read about with Amerson. His height, weight, and speed are outstanding, and his ball skills are equally impressive. But it's his tendency to gamble that gets him beat. I think if Amerson gets put in a zone scheme, where he can keep everything in front of him, and if coaches can get him to play with more disipline, he'll be an outstanding corner in the league.
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:

Aggression is the only negative that I've read about with Amerson. His height, weight, and speed are outstanding, and his ball skills are equally impressive. But it's his tendency to gamble that gets him beat. I think if Amerson gets put in a zone scheme, where he can keep everything in front of him, and if coaches can get him to play with more disipline, he'll be an outstanding corner in the league.

I agree he's best for a zone system where he can keep guys in front of him. Also, with his length, he should be pretty solid jamming guys at the line. I just worry with his aggressiveness, and stiff hips, he'll bite too often and get beat deep. With some good coaching, and more experience, he should learn when to take those chances and when to play a little more conservative.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find it, but I recall reading he gave up a ton of plays and is over rated.
Boda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 2 CB's I would use a 1st rounder on is Xavier Rhodes & Dee Milliner. I still believe Tyrann Mathieu fits our scheme very well & would like to see us draft him in the 3rd. In the 2nd round I wouldn't mind Trufant or Amerson.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why no picture of a nectar badger?!

Trufant the free agent, or ..... Trufant the rookie might suffice.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rank the need of a CB in the same tier as WR & MLB. The sweet spot for the 2nd tier CBs (Taylor, Banks, Amerson, Slay, Wreh-Wilson, etc) is at the end of round 1. If the Vikings can trade back a couple of spots, pick up an extra selection, and land Jamar Taylor, my personal favorite, that'd be ideal to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
I rank the need of a CB in the same tier as WR & MLB. The sweet spot for the 2nd tier CBs (Taylor, Banks, Amerson, Slay, Wreh-Wilson, etc) is at the end of round 1. If the Vikings can trade back a couple of spots, pick up an extra selection, and land Jamar Taylor, my personal favorite, that'd be ideal to me.

Agreed. WR, MLB and CB are mostly even for me. After those three needs, DT and OG come into consideration.

WR and CB are both deep positions this year, so you could take either one in round 1 or round 2 and end up with quality. Its just a matter of preference, first rd WR or first rd CB.
Eastern Walrus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the guys pictured AND honey badger in the 5th!
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know much about him, but I think David Amerson fits our system pretty well. Xavier Rhodes would too.

But I'm hoping we get someone good at #52. If Amerson is available, I'd be all over it.

But if we don't go after someone there, perhaps Blidi Wreh Wilson will be available in round 3?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the Vikings stay at 23 and 25, get their MLB (Teo probably) and WR (crapshoot) and if a couple of Banks/Taylor/Wreh Wilson/Amerson/Trufant are still on the board by the end of day 1, they can look to deal back into the top 40?

Then again, they could theoretically go LB, CB and trade up in rd 2 to get a WR they like as well. I could live with that.

If the Vikings take Mathieu without getting any other CBs, Im going to be really worried about their judgement and evaluating this year. I can live with him getting picked if its a luxery pick in rd 4-5 after we have already gotten a safer player early. Same way I view Da'Rick Rogers. They are great 2nd halves of a double dip, but if we take them and are counting on them to contribute, we run the risk of this draft busting to an extent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: