Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats trade RB Jeff Demps to Bucs for RB Blount; Takes paycut
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 40066
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Pats trade RB Jeff Demps to Bucs for RB Blount; Takes paycut Reply with quote

Quote:
The Patriots have discussed the possibility of trading Jeff Demps, according to agent Daniel Rose.


http://twitter.com/jeffphowe/statuses/323476613943656448

Quote:
There should be some interest but it's unclear if a trade will happen. Obviously, Pats would like to get something done before the draft.


http://twitter.com/jeffphowe/statuses/323477038516297728



***Update***
His agent:
Quote:
"Jeff loves New England, and he wants to run track and play football," Rose said. "It's not a decision based on money. It's a decision based on his passion for both sports. He's 23 years old, and he has an opportunity to do what he loves and has our blessing. I would think with the (Patriots') lack of picks, a deal would be done over the draft, as I am certain if the Patriots aren't willing to let him do both, there are other teams who will.


http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/04/could_this_be_jeff_demps_last_week_with_patriots

***Update***
Quote:
Just got word on Jeff Demps: "Trade imminent."


http://twitter.com/jeffphowe/statuses/328221363217244160

***Update***
Quote:
Patriots trade for LeGarrette Blount.


Quote:
Send Demps and the 278th pick to Tampa


***Update***
Quote:
The value extends to Blountís contract, which was renegotiated to consummate the trade.

Blount was scheduled to earn $1.2 million in base salary with the Buccaneers in 2013, with additional bonus money, but the deal was slashed to $630,000 with the Patriots (and is reduced to $358,000, via a split, if he lands on injured reserve).

Blount can also earn a $50,000 workout bonus in New England.

With that type of contract, it furthers the line of thinking that acquiring Blount is a low-risk, high-reward transaction.


http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4743127/blount-takes-pay-cut-in-trade
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute


Last edited by Billy Spikes on Sat May 04, 2013 5:41 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 47391
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no downside... if someone would actually bite, that is.
_________________

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ChazStandard


Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 3896
Location: The bandwagon, hop on up!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His fate in NE was pretty much sealed once he decided to multi-sport. BB likes commitment, and, more than that, the offense here is too complex to be able to miss huge amounts of the off-season.

It's a shame, because I was interested in seeing some gadget screens and stuff using him.
_________________
Quote:
Well, I'm the President of the Howdy Doody Circus Army!


Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 11 Yards: 116 TDs: 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Donut


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 12496
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh I really like Demps. Damn shame would've loved for him to be a fulltime Patriot
_________________
dhunt2402 wrote:
You're like the patron saint of roster bubble players Laughing
Adopt a Patriot: Tim Wright
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 8882
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demps needs to learn to commit to one thing. Excelling in the NFL and excelling in the Olympics (reportedly his endgame for track is Rio) is hard enough when you focus on just one, but trying to do both? Pick a dream otherwise you won't succeed at either.

Hope we can net a 6th, would be satisfied with the more realistic 7th, wouldn't be surprised to see no bites.
_________________

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24511
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see anyone biting on him. The Pats would probably just be best served to squat on his rights.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 47391
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Can't see anyone biting on him. The Pats would probably just be best served to squat on his rights.
Would he go on the reserve/DNR or reserve/Retired list? What would be the cap ramifications for each?
_________________

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24511
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Can't see anyone biting on him. The Pats would probably just be best served to squat on his rights.
Would he go on the reserve/DNR or reserve/Retired list? What would be the cap ramifications for each?


He'd go on DNR. IIRC, only the signing bonus counts against the cap in that case. The base salary would not.

If they trade him, they'd end up taking the accelerated cap hit anyway so it's probably a wash.

For a 7th round pick, why bother moving him?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 8882
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Can't see anyone biting on him. The Pats would probably just be best served to squat on his rights.
Would he go on the reserve/DNR or reserve/Retired list? What would be the cap ramifications for each?


He'd go on DNR. IIRC, only the signing bonus counts against the cap in that case. The base salary would not.

If they trade him, they'd end up taking the accelerated cap hit anyway so it's probably a wash.

For a 7th round pick, why bother moving him?


If it'd be a wash, then why not get a 7th and roll the dice? If we are talking cap, what's a seventh rounder going to cost? We are talking small here so it is almost hard to justify it either way but I would say the pick is worth the value of the chance and the value that it could be packaged for another commodity.
_________________

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24511
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Can't see anyone biting on him. The Pats would probably just be best served to squat on his rights.
Would he go on the reserve/DNR or reserve/Retired list? What would be the cap ramifications for each?


He'd go on DNR. IIRC, only the signing bonus counts against the cap in that case. The base salary would not.

If they trade him, they'd end up taking the accelerated cap hit anyway so it's probably a wash.

For a 7th round pick, why bother moving him?


If it'd be a wash, then why not get a 7th and roll the dice? If we are talking cap, what's a seventh rounder going to cost? We are talking small here so it is almost hard to justify it either way but I would say the pick is worth the value of the chance and the value that it could be packaged for another commodity.


There's a better chance IMO that Demps will decide to play football full time at some point in his life than some random 7th rounder ever being productive in the NFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sciz


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 15797
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't really see the point in moving him for a seventh, but I'd be interested to see what happens when he shows up in week 6 and says he wants to play, and the Pats have to either cut him, trade him, or let him play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24511
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
I wouldn't really see the point in moving him for a seventh, but I'd be interested to see what happens when he shows up in week 6 and says he wants to play, and the Pats have to either cut him, trade him, or let him play.


That's really the only reason to trade him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 40066
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
His agent:
Quote:
"Jeff loves New England, and he wants to run track and play football," Rose said. "It's not a decision based on money. It's a decision based on his passion for both sports. He's 23 years old, and he has an opportunity to do what he loves and has our blessing. I would think with the (Patriots') lack of picks, a deal would be done over the draft, as I am certain if the Patriots aren't willing to let him do both, there are other teams who will.


http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/04/could_this_be_jeff_demps_last_week_with_patriots
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HOVA333


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 4764
Location: Brockton MA Richard Sherman is a Pansy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh just keep the guy. I doubt Leon is even staying long.
_________________

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 22782
Location: Beat Of My Own Drum
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who just doesn't have a problem with him doing both?
_________________
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group