Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bengals sign Steelers LB James Harrison to a 2-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin Lewis and James Harrison is a interesting match. If any one can tap any un-touched potential left in Harrison its Lewis, tho James aint a young buck, sure as hell the scariest player every time hes on the field aka KING KONG , with the Bengals surrounding talent i bet you could see Harrison getting a lot of nice clean looks on QBs and RB's which is never ever ever ever good for your team cause 1 hit from that monster and your seasons done.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
patman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
kmvoss wrote:
If all goes according to plan I expect him to have monster games vs. his former team.

Considering he didn't have any of those last year... Why would he have any against anyone this year?

Because sometimes players play there best against their former teams. It is natural for a player to get "up" when playing a former team. With Harrison
I just hope he does not take it to far and hit the steeler players in the head.
tom cody

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice signing for the Bengals. Harrison's good enough to possibly get them into the talk for being AFC North favourites.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
Nice signing for the Bengals. Harrison's good enough to possibly get them into the talk for being AFC North favourites.

Harrison doesnt really change that either way. They were already in talks of them being that, and no...he really isnt good enough to really give them a HUGE boost anymore.

Harrison still has gas in the tank, but a) he has never played in a 43 defense before. b) he took years to learn our playbook so they may have to keep it simple for him, and c) while he is a force against the run still, he is only solid pass rusher and a liability in coverage.

If he is a full time 43 OLB, there is a chance it could actually hurt them more than it helps. If he is a situational player, then I think he could be a real asset.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
Definitely a good signing. I don't see too much trouble with him transitioning to a 4-3. I assume on passing downs, he'll either come off or rush a good portion of the time, so it won't be much of a problem. Especially considering as a Steeler, he was usually rushing about 2/3 of the time, and covering about 1/3, so he isn't exactly a normal 3-4 OLB in how much he covered.

Except the difference is he has slowed down considerably.

His coverage ability use to be very good. Now its very mediocre. You cant really compare how he played under LeBeau between 2007 and 2010 with how he is now. Completely different.

Bottom line, they Bengals should have him on the field to play the run more than anything, and shouldnt only have him on the field on obvious passing situations in special blitz packages.

If they have him as a full time starter, I think it could hurt them.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Definitely a good signing. I don't see too much trouble with him transitioning to a 4-3. I assume on passing downs, he'll either come off or rush a good portion of the time, so it won't be much of a problem. Especially considering as a Steeler, he was usually rushing about 2/3 of the time, and covering about 1/3, so he isn't exactly a normal 3-4 OLB in how much he covered.

His coverage ability use to be very good. Now its very mediocre. You cant really compare how he played under LeBeau between 2007 and 2010 with how he is now. Completely different.

Bottom line, they Bengals should have him on the field to play the run more than anything, and shouldnt only have him on the field on obvious passing situations in special blitz packages.

Not sure. Aside from Burfict, Harrison is still the best LB on their roster pretty much, even in his washed up state. Laughing

Nacho Simulation Football League
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:

Perhaps If James Harrison was in his prime, and was in a system which really fit him.

Harrison's past his prime though, and will only be a situational player in a 43 scheme.

No, he won't be that big of a boost to this team, allthough I do expect Cincy to make it back to the playoffs.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:

Note that I'm not saying he is GOOD in coverage. I never did say that. And I actually said the opposite of your last point, that he probably won't play full-time. My point is that generally, the biggest struggle with going from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 OLB would be suddenly having to cover. My point was simply that it isn't as though Harrison has never had to cover. This isn't the equivalent of if Tamba Hali or Cameron Wake were moved to 4-3 OLB, in that respect.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis Kelce
Pre-Season: 5 receptions, 132 yards, 2 TDs
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:

Note that I'm not saying he is GOOD in coverage. I never did say that. And I actually said the opposite of your last point, that he probably won't play full-time. My point is that generally, the biggest struggle with going from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 OLB would be suddenly having to cover. My point was simply that it isn't as though Harrison has never had to cover. This isn't the equivalent of if Tamba Hali or Cameron Wake were moved to 4-3 OLB, in that respect.

I know exactly what you are saying....but my point is even though he has experience dropping into coverage, it really doesnt make a difference since he cant cover well anymore.

Also, unlike in Pittsburgh, his assignment wont be disguised as well, which will hurt him more in coverage. In the 4-3, its easier to tell if an OLB is going to settle back into coverage than a 34 OLB.

Either way though, he shouldnt be in coverage much regardless, so it may all be a moot point.
jcm412

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on the contract numbers?
fatpig

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear Mr. Harrison, plz leave my boys Weeden, Little, and Gordon alone.

in seriousness i think this move enhances the Bengals significantly, assuming Harrison doesn't get any more suspensions and stays healthy.

if nothing else it'll make the Bengals/Steelers games a lot more interesting.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:

Not sure. Aside from Burfict, Harrison is still the best LB on their roster pretty much, even in his washed up state. Laughing

The sad part is that the only LB on the roster that can cover is Emmanuel Lamur. At least Harrison can stop the run and provide something in the pass rush department (either lining up at DE or blitzing). Our LBs also suck at blitzing. Just countless failed blitzes from them especially Rey.

Burfict ,and to a lesser extent Lamur, really were the only LBs on the roster worth a damn before we signed Harrison. We still need to draft a couple more LBs for depth and possibly a starting spot...

Orlovsky has too much experience here. Manziel doesn't stand a chance.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
James Harrison 2-year deal with Bengals worth $4.5M with just $1.2M guaranteed. Base salaries $1.4M and $1.1M.

http://twitter.com/HBalzer721/statuses/327068476499976193
Tom Brady Tribute
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they're building a stairway to heaven in Cincinatti - one that is littered with broken bones. I like Harrison with the Bengals. This defense already played with a lot of nasty, and Harrison just brings up their intimidation factor.

This defense was a top 10 unit prior to him joining, and now I can see them move into the top 5.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Looks like they're building a stairway to heaven in Cincinatti - one that is littered with broken bones. I like Harrison with the Bengals. This defense already played with a lot of nasty, and Harrison just brings up their intimidation factor.

This defense was a top 10 unit prior to him joining, and now I can see them move into the top 5.

It's not like it's that big of a step from 6 to 5 though, is it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: