Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thought about Jordy Nelson and James Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spilltray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:
yes that's me. i play madden and read espn stat sheets, and know all about football...

you should not even comment on this topic, you're obviously clueless.

I could say the same. Jones has been wildly inconsistent his entire career, regardless of how the yearly stats work out. Nelson on the other hand had quite possible a career year in 2011, but was dinged up in 2012. You consistently get Nelson's best. You can't say that for Jones. That's exactly the sort of thing you hear from Palmy where he says:

palmy50 wrote:
That said, I have more faith in Nelson "the man" than I do with Jones and feel there is a much better chance Jones will want to test the market.

You could see Nelson's consistent progression. You can't say the same with Jones at all.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
ECPackers wrote:
yes that's me. i play madden and read espn stat sheets, and know all about football...

I could say the same. Jones has been wildly inconsistent his entire career, regardless of how the yearly stats work out. Nelson on the other hand had quite possible a career year in 2011, but was dinged up in 2012. You consistently get Nelson's best. You can't say that for Jones. That's exactly the sort of thing you hear from Palmy where he says:

palmy50 wrote:
That said, I have more faith in Nelson "the man" than I do with Jones and feel there is a much better chance Jones will want to test the market.

You could see Nelson's consistent progression. You can't say the same with Jones at all.

That's not at all what Palmy is saying. That quote means, Jordy the small town country kid, will be morel likely to re-up at a contract to stay in an area that he has grown to love with a QB he has a chemistry with. Jones already tested the market once, was once impoverished and probably wants to hit a big payday. That quote has nothing to do with on the field.

I strongly disagree that Jones has been "widly" inconsistent. The only inconsistency in Jones' game has been his concentration. Since the moment TT drafted him, he's run great routes, been a willing blocker and had a knack for finding the endzone. He also has the best hands on the team when focused. You heard all the commentators and players bring up how he "talks" to himself on the field know to stay focused.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
spilltray wrote:
ECPackers wrote:

palmy50 wrote:

That's not at all what Palmy is saying. That quote means, Jordy the small town country kid, will be morel likely to re-up at a contract to stay in an area that he has grown to love with a QB he has a chemistry with. Jones already tested the market once, was once impoverished and probably wants to hit a big payday. That quote has nothing to do with on the field.

I strongly disagree that Jones has been "widly" inconsistent. The only inconsistency in Jones' game has been his concentration. Since the moment TT drafted him, he's run great routes, been a willing blocker and had a knack for finding the endzone. He also has the best hands on the team when focused. You heard all the commentators and players bring up how he "talks" to himself on the field know to stay focused.

And that concentration or the fact that you have to say "when focused" is the inconsistency. Until 2012, he hasn't been able to maintain it at all.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I acknowledge that, but that isn't "wild inconsistency." His first few years in the league he barely dropped anything. The drops came up with an added role in the offense as Driver regressed and they stopped last year. I would call Jones a WR that had a concentration lapse problem, Jordy has a huge drop problem too, yet you aren't acknowledging that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of this will shake out this year. Let's see if Nelson begins to consistently get hurt or if last year was just a fluke. Let's see if Jones continues to build off of last year. Jones had some nice games but he also disappeared at times when manned up against some of the better corners. He will need to consistently produce against #2 CBs in order to get another contract.

Whose game will age better? My bet is on Jones all day there. He is more sudden in his routes. Nelson relies on that burst a lot and that, as Palmy said, tends to disappear with age. Who is the better all around player? Well, when both are healthy, give me Nelson all day. That Super Bowl performance (although marred with a couple crucial drops) and 2011-2012 campaign were very high end. Lots of different routes, tough-body control catches, and YAC galore in that football player.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I feel as though this WR class could go down in the history books. I also feel quite sure we will nab AT LEAST one. I'm not sure the who-to-keep-between-jones-and-nelson will be all the important in a couple years anyway.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
Yes I acknowledge that, but that isn't "wild inconsistency." His first few years in the league he barely dropped anything. The drops came up with an added role in the offense as Driver regressed and they stopped last year. I would call Jones a WR that had a concentration lapse problem, Jordy has a huge drop problem too, yet you aren't acknowledging that.

I actually kind of think it is something with the coaching, everytime someone gets added more stuff into the playbook they seem to have a problem with drops. Maybe they need to adjust their installation style.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattwaukee wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:

I actually kind of think it is something with the coaching, everytime someone gets added more stuff into the playbook they seem to have a problem with drops. Maybe they need to adjust their installation style.

You know this how?
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattwaukee wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:

I can tell you 95% of install comes during the training camp/pre-season, so I would highly doubt that has anything to do with it. Installing week-to-week is very minimal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:

bingo.
Bucks
Badgers
SDN40

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's very simple. This goes back to the whole Jones thing 2 years ago. The bottom line is, does the guy get open ? Does he get balls thrown to him ? The answer is yes. Seems too simple but the bottom line is you have to somehow get separation or have a knack for always coming down with the 50/50 balls. Jones does all of the above. You can say the same for Nelson, although possibly to a lesser extent. The other thing that is never mentioned about Jones is that he almost always makes the tough catches and is incredible at coming down with the 50/50 balls.

By comparison Boykin did get a bit of playing time last year and off the top of my head, I remember thinking his targets seemed very low. That is a concern for me. The other end of the spectrum is Cobb, who seemed to get open from day one

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
For me it's very simple. This goes back to the whole Jones thing 2 years ago. The bottom line is, does the guy get open ? Does he get balls thrown to him ? The answer is yes. Seems too simple but the bottom line is you have to somehow get separation or have a knack for always coming down with the 50/50 balls. Jones does all of the above. You can say the same for Nelson, although possibly to a lesser extent. The other thing that is never mentioned about Jones is that he almost always makes the tough catches and is incredible at coming down with the 50/50 balls.

By comparison Boykin did get a bit of playing time last year and off the top of my head, I remember thinking his targets seemed very low. That is a concern for me. The other end of the spectrum is Cobb, who seemed to get open from day one

Boykin is a baller don't sleep on that kid.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HokieHigh wrote:
SDN40 wrote:

Boykin is a baller don't sleep on that kid.
Indeed. Clean routes and good body control.
smetana34

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:

For me it's very simple. Green Bay retained Jordy once. Green Bay let Jones walk once. There was 0 market for the guy. Isn't that telling?
ECPackers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smetana34 wrote:
SDN40 wrote:

For me it's very simple. Green Bay retained Jordy once. Green Bay let Jones walk once. There was 0 market for the guy. Isn't that telling?

its not telling. there was also almost no market for randy moss a few years ago.

there was also zero market for greg jennings.
Bucks
Badgers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: