Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thought about Jordy Nelson and James Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ajdodge09


Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 4635
Location: Monterey Bay
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
I think we may already have Jones' replacement in Jarrett Boykin. I'm interested to see his development this preseason. If he picks it up that can be his role, and for a much friendlier cap hit.


I could see Boykin turning into a solid #4. In a few years a receiving corps of Jordy, Cobb, Draft pick, Boykin could be enough to get the job done.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheGreatZepp


Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Posts: 2844
Location: Brookfield, WI
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajdodge09 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
I think we may already have Jones' replacement in Jarrett Boykin. I'm interested to see his development this preseason. If he picks it up that can be his role, and for a much friendlier cap hit.


I could see Boykin turning into a solid #4. In a few years a receiving corps of Jordy, Cobb, Draft pick, Boykin could be enough to get the job done.
I think anyone will be enough to get the job done as long as Rodgers is back there.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ECPackers


Joined: 24 Oct 2010
Posts: 1177
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
ECPackers wrote:
There's no way the packers are letting either guy go. Also, jones is considerably better than Nelson.



All Nelson ever does is get injured, and fail to produce if two other wr studs aren't on the field.


uhhh why?

I'd be shocked if both are back. It's quite unlikely.



because we can easily afford both. neither guy will get over 6m a year. and probably, neither would get much over 4m a year.

two great WR, who both have proven they CAN produce (when on field anyways)...and jones, at least, is only getting better.
_________________
GREEN BAY PACKERS
JARRET BUSH IS MY BOY!
Brewers
Bucks
Badgers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 10542
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
ECPackers wrote:
There's no way the packers are letting either guy go. Also, jones is considerably better than Nelson.



All Nelson ever does is get injured, and fail to produce if two other wr studs aren't on the field.


uhhh why?

I'd be shocked if both are back. It's quite unlikely.



because we can easily afford both. neither guy will get over 6m a year. and probably, neither would get much over 4m a year.

two great WR, who both have proven they CAN produce (when on field anyways)...and jones, at least, is only getting better.


Why? Because he had a good year last year? Jones has been inconsistent his whole career. I HOPE he's finally turning that around but there is no way you can be certain of that yet.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ketchup


Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 14118
Location: Milwaukee, WI
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Why? Because he had a good year last year? Jones has been inconsistent his whole career. I HOPE he's finally turning that around but there is no way you can be certain of that yet.
Jones is becoming a bit overrated IMO. His ceiling is a year like last year. Some Packers fans see the TD numbers and say he was so great because of it but TD's are so arbitrary of a stat. His TD's last year were very impressive and he was routinely making circus grabs but he's not on the level of Nelson or Cobb in terms of ceiling. If we have to choose one, it's Nelson without a single doubt. But I don't think we will have to choose. Keeping both is a real possibility. Jones hit the open market when he was 27 and had to settle for a deal that averages a little over 3 million per. He's not going to get more then that when he hits the market when he's 30. Nelson's next contract is going to depend a lot on how these next two years go for him but I would guess he gets about 7 million per year.
_________________

Kempes on the custom sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13904
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a tough one for a host of reasons. Do think it might be hard to keep both with Cobb getting paid in two years as well though.

I'll say this. I do think there is a much higher chance that the numbers won't work for Nelson down the road than that being the case with Jones. Size/speed combos get paid, and with age some of Nelson's long speed will be lost. At that point the numbers might not be in line with the style of play.

That said, I have more faith in Nelson "the man" than I do with Jones and feel there is a much better chance Jones will want to test the market.

It is much harder to find a Nelson than a Jones though. That said, one could make a strong case that Jones is the best in the league at his game and this is just not the case with Nelson.

Tough one. Think both with age OK for much different reasons.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 31788
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how it will play out with Nelson.

He clearly took a very team-friendly deal. This makes me think he's an inherently 'loyal' sort of guy and might do so again to keep things simple for himself.

I see Jones as more of a type to try and capitalize on his big year and test the market again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13904
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
I wonder how it will play out with Nelson.

He clearly took a very team-friendly deal. This makes me think he's an inherently 'loyal' sort of guy and might do so again to keep things simple for himself.

I see Jones as more of a type to try and capitalize on his big year and test the market again.


Could not agree more!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ECPackers


Joined: 24 Oct 2010
Posts: 1177
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
ECPackers wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
ECPackers wrote:
There's no way the packers are letting either guy go. Also, jones is considerably better than Nelson.



All Nelson ever does is get injured, and fail to produce if two other wr studs aren't on the field.


uhhh why?

I'd be shocked if both are back. It's quite unlikely.



because we can easily afford both. neither guy will get over 6m a year. and probably, neither would get much over 4m a year.

two great WR, who both have proven they CAN produce (when on field anyways)...and jones, at least, is only getting better.


Why? Because he had a good year last year? Jones has been inconsistent his whole career. I HOPE he's finally turning that around but there is no way you can be certain of that yet.



no, because he's looked good his entire career, aside from drops. and he hasn't been inconsistent. that'd be nelson. jones has been good in the playing time he's had.
_________________
GREEN BAY PACKERS
JARRET BUSH IS MY BOY!
Brewers
Bucks
Badgers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ECPackers


Joined: 24 Oct 2010
Posts: 1177
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Why? Because he had a good year last year? Jones has been inconsistent his whole career. I HOPE he's finally turning that around but there is no way you can be certain of that yet.
Jones is becoming a bit overrated IMO. His ceiling is a year like last year. Some Packers fans see the TD numbers and say he was so great because of it but TD's are so arbitrary of a stat. His TD's last year were very impressive and he was routinely making circus grabs but he's not on the level of Nelson or Cobb in terms of ceiling. If we have to choose one, it's Nelson without a single doubt. But I don't think we will have to choose. Keeping both is a real possibility. Jones hit the open market when he was 27 and had to settle for a deal that averages a little over 3 million per. He's not going to get more then that when he hits the market when he's 30. Nelson's next contract is going to depend a lot on how these next two years go for him but I would guess he gets about 7 million per year.



so who's overrated here? jordy and his ONE single stand out year? or jones, and his model of consistency.

really. look up the stats. the stats support my argument. and forget the touchdowns (which are still better than nelson)

in fact, i find it ridiculous people don't see it that way.
_________________
GREEN BAY PACKERS
JARRET BUSH IS MY BOY!
Brewers
Bucks
Badgers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pugger


Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 8701
Location: N. Fort Myers, FL
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Why? Because he had a good year last year? Jones has been inconsistent his whole career. I HOPE he's finally turning that around but there is no way you can be certain of that yet.
Jones is becoming a bit overrated IMO. His ceiling is a year like last year. Some Packers fans see the TD numbers and say he was so great because of it but TD's are so arbitrary of a stat. His TD's last year were very impressive and he was routinely making circus grabs but he's not on the level of Nelson or Cobb in terms of ceiling. If we have to choose one, it's Nelson without a single doubt. But I don't think we will have to choose. Keeping both is a real possibility. Jones hit the open market when he was 27 and had to settle for a deal that averages a little over 3 million per. He's not going to get more then that when he hits the market when he's 30. Nelson's next contract is going to depend a lot on how these next two years go for him but I would guess he gets about 7 million per year.



so who's overrated here? jordy and his ONE single stand out year? or jones, and his model of consistency.

really. look up the stats. the stats support my argument. and forget the touchdowns (which are still better than nelson)

in fact, i find it ridiculous people don't see it that way.


I don't know if I'd label Jones as a model of consistency.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ECPackers


Joined: 24 Oct 2010
Posts: 1177
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
ECPackers wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Why? Because he had a good year last year? Jones has been inconsistent his whole career. I HOPE he's finally turning that around but there is no way you can be certain of that yet.
Jones is becoming a bit overrated IMO. His ceiling is a year like last year. Some Packers fans see the TD numbers and say he was so great because of it but TD's are so arbitrary of a stat. His TD's last year were very impressive and he was routinely making circus grabs but he's not on the level of Nelson or Cobb in terms of ceiling. If we have to choose one, it's Nelson without a single doubt. But I don't think we will have to choose. Keeping both is a real possibility. Jones hit the open market when he was 27 and had to settle for a deal that averages a little over 3 million per. He's not going to get more then that when he hits the market when he's 30. Nelson's next contract is going to depend a lot on how these next two years go for him but I would guess he gets about 7 million per year.



so who's overrated here? jordy and his ONE single stand out year? or jones, and his model of consistency.

really. look up the stats. the stats support my argument. and forget the touchdowns (which are still better than nelson)

in fact, i find it ridiculous people don't see it that way.


I don't know if I'd label Jones as a model of consistency.



everyone keeps saying that. but no one provides facts to the contrary.

the guy averages about 40 catches, 5td's, and a bit over 600 yds a year.

if you consider his role as a #3 WR (or even a #4), having drop problems (which are seemingly cured), and his ability to stay healthy... he's been nothing but consistent over the past 4 years.

every year he has averaged right around 13-14ypc, which is pretty legit. also consider that his targets are pretty inconsistent, and you can't really blame him for that.
_________________
GREEN BAY PACKERS
JARRET BUSH IS MY BOY!
Brewers
Bucks
Badgers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pugger


Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 8701
Location: N. Fort Myers, FL
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:
Pugger wrote:
ECPackers wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Why? Because he had a good year last year? Jones has been inconsistent his whole career. I HOPE he's finally turning that around but there is no way you can be certain of that yet.
Jones is becoming a bit overrated IMO. His ceiling is a year like last year. Some Packers fans see the TD numbers and say he was so great because of it but TD's are so arbitrary of a stat. His TD's last year were very impressive and he was routinely making circus grabs but he's not on the level of Nelson or Cobb in terms of ceiling. If we have to choose one, it's Nelson without a single doubt. But I don't think we will have to choose. Keeping both is a real possibility. Jones hit the open market when he was 27 and had to settle for a deal that averages a little over 3 million per. He's not going to get more then that when he hits the market when he's 30. Nelson's next contract is going to depend a lot on how these next two years go for him but I would guess he gets about 7 million per year.



so who's overrated here? jordy and his ONE single stand out year? or jones, and his model of consistency.

really. look up the stats. the stats support my argument. and forget the touchdowns (which are still better than nelson)

in fact, i find it ridiculous people don't see it that way.


I don't know if I'd label Jones as a model of consistency.



everyone keeps saying that. but no one provides facts to the contrary.

the guy averages about 40 catches, 5td's, and a bit over 600 yds a year.

if you consider his role as a #3 WR (or even a #4), having drop problems (which are seemingly cured), and his ability to stay healthy... he's been nothing but consistent over the past 4 years.

every year he has averaged right around 13-14ypc, which is pretty legit. also consider that his targets are pretty inconsistent, and you can't really blame him for that.


Yes, his drops and fumbles (that one fumble in that Bear game a couple of years ago give us all nightmares) seem to be cured but let's see if this continues in 2013. I sure hope so! Smile
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 10542
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:
everyone keeps saying that. but no one provides facts to the contrary.

the guy averages about 40 catches, 5td's, and a bit over 600 yds a year.

if you consider his role as a #3 WR (or even a #4), having drop problems (which are seemingly cured), and his ability to stay healthy... he's been nothing but consistent over the past 4 years.

every year he has averaged right around 13-14ypc, which is pretty legit. also consider that his targets are pretty inconsistent, and you can't really blame him for that.


Do you actually WATCH the games, or just read a statbook? His numbers may be consistent, but his play on the field has been anything but. His targets being inconsistent and his numbers ending up about the same shows his lack of consistency in converting what opportunities he gets.

I hope 2013 is the corner for him, but there is no way to know and he HAS been very up and down over his career, this far. Don't try and act like he's been anything close to consistent.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ECPackers


Joined: 24 Oct 2010
Posts: 1177
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
ECPackers wrote:
everyone keeps saying that. but no one provides facts to the contrary.

the guy averages about 40 catches, 5td's, and a bit over 600 yds a year.

if you consider his role as a #3 WR (or even a #4), having drop problems (which are seemingly cured), and his ability to stay healthy... he's been nothing but consistent over the past 4 years.

every year he has averaged right around 13-14ypc, which is pretty legit. also consider that his targets are pretty inconsistent, and you can't really blame him for that.


Do you actually WATCH the games, or just read a statbook? His numbers may be consistent, but his play on the field has been anything but. His targets being inconsistent and his numbers ending up about the same shows his lack of consistency in converting what opportunities he gets.

I hope 2013 is the corner for him, but there is no way to know and he HAS been very up and down over his career, this far. Don't try and act like he's been anything close to consistent.



yes that's me. i play madden and read espn stat sheets, and know all about football...

you should not even comment on this topic, you're obviously clueless.
_________________
GREEN BAY PACKERS
JARRET BUSH IS MY BOY!
Brewers
Bucks
Badgers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group