Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My First 3 Rounds
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be happy with the first three rounds?
yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Okay not ecstatic
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaisinBran wrote:
macklemore wrote:
everyone believes in a dominant offensive line

The one team that actually put am emphasis on it recently was the 49ers. And look how well they are doing today.

So yea, everyone believes in a dominant offensive line, but very few teams put that extra emphasis on making it a top priority.

I respectfully disagree.

If your investment in either a LT or QB busts it severely sets your organization back although there are some bad owners/GMs out there.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderslyfer wrote:
Very Happy Okay I messed up with the #3 pick stuff. But seriously.....when we are talking football I understand why others don't put a premium on OG. Me personally I believe in having a DOMINATE offensive line. Lets be realistic there is not one defensive player that we can take in the top 10 that is gonna magically turn our defense around. But if we have a dominate offensive line it helps the whole team including the defense. We are going to run the ball this year and with a dominate oline we can control the clock thus keeping a weak defense off the field. It doesn't matter how good a defense is if our offense is constantly pulling 3 and outs then we will see what has been happening to us for years.

For the people wanting defense heres my argument for each player besides Star Lotulelei.

Dee Milliner= you don't take a DB at 3 unless he is electrifying an has special teams ability ala Charles Woodson and Patrick Peterson.

Sharrif Floyd= We wouldn't be able to trade down and still get him, he was considered a 2nd rounder till a month ago, has short arms and highlight reel doesn't equate to combine numbers.

Dion Jordan= More of a linebacker and safety than DE......he would get absolutely used if he played DE fulltime.

Ezekiel Ansah= One of my favorite players in the draft has huge upside but not a automatic Homerun has HUGE BUST potential.......he can be Demarcus Ware he could be Vernon Gholston.

Mingo= Looks to much like Maybin so ill pass on him....huge first step burst but no power to play DE fulltime and not very good in coverage.

Sheldon Richardson= Dominated by the guy I picked in the 2nd round......look it up.

Everyone says Richardson or Floyd when I say Houston is a better 3 tech then them both

Look at the rosters of the last 10 Super Bowl Champions, you don't need great OG play to be dominate. The value of a Warmack is in his high floor (low bust factor). Great bookends makes your OL exponentially more dominant quicker.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
bitty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft is very deep at DT and O- linemen. You can get a starter in the 3th and maybe 4th round. So with that being said you have to pick a player at a position where the depth is thin.
Thats why I see Dion Jordan as the pick.
Rolni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
This draft is very deep at DT and O- linemen. You can get a starter in the 3th and maybe 4th round. So with that being said you have to pick a player at a position where the depth is thin.

I still wanna see BPA, not best player from the thinnest position...
bitty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
bitty wrote:

I still wanna see BPA, not best player from the thinnest position...

The BPA will be LT
Dessie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this scenario I would go

1. Warmack OG (assuming Star and Fisher have gone)
2. Amerson CB/FS or Swearinger FS
3. Buchanan DE
#clueless
holyghost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LTs are what this draft has to offer, taking into account our slot at #3. Plenty of people want it to be more sexy, which is essentially DEs and QBs along with some sort of ridiculous new prototype players - freaks as we call them. But it isn't that way.

That doesn't mean it doesn't have plenty to offer. BPA is the LT if Joeckel and Fisher do not go 1 and 2. So are we drafting need or BPA?

Excellent bookend tackles can do plenty for this team even though our biggest need is an impact defender, a pass rusher. And that tackle can also affect our need for that defender. Run the ball, successfully, and we will possess the ball. It's that much less time our defenders will be out there rushing the passer. And if someone else desperately needs that Tackle, we are also in a great position to be the team someone has to deal with. 2-4 are the teams people will have to trade up with. And since Jax has plenty of needs just like us but have a highly drafted LT, we might just be in the right position to be the ones trading out.

Either way, trade out or take the tackle for ourselves. But I personally do not believe this is the time to reach on a guy or a project just because we have a need. It's desperate, and desperate rarely works out well in the draft.
On top of that, if our scouting staff can only be counted on to find impact players in the high 1st, we are screwed anyway. People liken 3rd-4th round and later as throwaways or at best role players, or solid but limited players. Well, if you can't say to yourself that it's possible to find really really good players in the second half of the draft then we cannot build this team in any reasonable time frame. Meaning, more directly, if we can't find a good pass rusher in the 3rd or 4th, then we will never be able to fill a playoff roster. You gotta be able as a team to make your team significantly better in every round. Or at least try and succeed some of the time.
There's this feeling around here that what we do in the 1st is the end all and be all of our draft. Well, it is crucial but there's 6 other picks to be made too. And they all can matter just as much.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
There's this feeling around here that what we do in the 1st is the end all and be all of our draft. Well, it is crucial but there's 6 other picks to be made too. And they all can matter just as much.

Well, let's examine our usage of first round picks in the last decade:

Nnamdi Asomugha - Best 1st round pick in recent memory, but too far back to be relevant
Tyler Brayton - BUST (not relevant either)
Robert Gallery - BUST (average to above average OG doesn't make him exempt)
Fabian Washington - BUST
Michael Huff - Off team, never was a difference maker.
Jamarcus Russell - LOLOLOLOL
Darren McFadden - Too injury prone to make a difference.
DHB - BUST
Rolando McClain - BUST
Richard Seymour trade - BUST
Carson Palmer trade - BUST

And you wonder why people are so intent on nailing this 1st rounder.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
holyghost wrote:

Nnamdi Asomugha - Best 1st round pick in recent memory, but too far back to be relevant
Fabian Washington - BUST
DHB - BUST
Rolando McClain - BUST

Dude, listen. I believ as much as anyone it's an important pick for us. No doubt.

Let's examine Seattle's draft last year though. Yes, a freakishly good draft but still worth looking at. Wilson in the 3rd round, a Pro Bowl rookie QB. If Seattle does not draft him, someone does in the 3rd or 4th. So some team gets the claim to a great draft pick. I know Seattle's draft was great, but if someone else takes him then their draft becomes great. My point is, these guys who are great value and great players do happen in later rounds. We just have to be the team that recognizes and picks them.

Same thing goes for Sherman, he went in the 5th. Someone was getting him in the 5th or later. And a smarter team than Seattle could have had him in the 4th.
Flynn is a good case in point too. Our projected starter at QB is a 6th rounder. Will he work out? I dunno, but our season pretty much hinges on it..

My point is, yeah, our 1st pick is totally crucial. And yet one pick will not go that far to making us good again. But if we find the Pro Bowlers out there in the 3rd and 4th, then we will become a playoff team. Someone is going to find and draft those guys. We have to try and be THAT team. 7 picks. Only one of them is the high 1st, but the others can yield players who are as good or better. We gotta make that work or it is going to be real slow counting on first round picks only to turn this thing around.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
holyghost wrote:

Fabian Washington - BUST
DHB - BUST
Rolando McClain - BUST

This. Sure would be nice to finally have a player in Oakland w/ some star quality.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just as easily ad to the fact that we haven't drafted stars in the 1st, we haven't drafted any stars in other rounds either. Just none in any round really. Stars in the 1st are needed to be competitive, stars after the 1st are what makes you ascend.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
Id be happy with Warmack, but the 2nd pick for me would be a DE or RT. We don't need 2 guards there is enough competition for RG.

Watson RT or Carradine DE in the 2nd.

Yeah, I would try and trade down one more time and go Carradine in the 1st and Warford in the 2nd.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
raidr4life

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
Id be happy with Warmack, but the 2nd pick for me would be a DE or RT. We don't need 2 guards there is enough competition for RG.

Watson RT or Carradine DE in the 2nd.

Yeah, I would try and trade down one more time and go Carradine in the 1st and Warford in the 2nd.
Nice!
raiderslyfer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now since nobody else has commented and there has been mixed views about my first three rounds because they question that I haven't done enough for the defense lmao well here is my draft in its entirety. ...

Rounds 4 -7

With the fourth round pick of the Draft I start with my sleeper.....DE LSU Lavar Edwards...This one is for you Macklemore... This guy to me is a first round talent that was put behind Montgomrey and Mingo for whatever reason but my thought is if Mingo wasnt so athletic this dude would have started. Will have a great career solid on the pass and run and a pure 4-3 DE not a tweener like mingo.

No 5th but three 6th

In no particular order

S Richmond Cooper Taylor looks alot like Dashon Goldston on film incredible run stopper from the back end.

DT Samford Nick Williams doesnt get the looks cause he is from a small school.....think early Tommy Kelly.

DE Miss Western David Bass small school guy with alot of motor and heart

So now rate my draft at its entirety. I WILL have another draft qithout a trade down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: