Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who makes the biggest jump in their 2nd/3rd season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Who makes the biggest jump in their 2nd/3rd season. Reply with quote

With the draft 2 weeks away, it's time to take a look back at the future of the team.

Coming into their 3rd season
1. JJ Watt
2. Brooks Reed
3. Brandon Harris
4. Roc Carmicheal
5. Shiloh Keo
6. TJ Yates
7. Derick Newton

Coming into their 2nd season
1. Whitney Mercilus
2. Devier Posey
3. Brandon Brooks
4. Ben Jones
5. Keshawn Martin
6. Jared Crick
7. Randy Bullock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming into their 3rd season I think Brandon Harris will make the biggest jump. Watt has already shown he is elite, Reed is average although I think he will have better sack numbers than this past season (2.5). Carmichael will just add depth to CB and wont be anything special. Yates is a backup at best, Keo shouldnt even be on this team, and the only thing he adds is special teams ability. Hopefully we draft someone to push Newton at RT. I am going with Harris simply because I feel like he can still contribute as a nickle CB, and as long as he doesnt play outside (like he did when Joe Joe got hurt then we should be fine. Let him focus soley on being the nickle CB).

As far as going into their 2nd season, this one is fairly easy. Whitney Mercilus is going to have a breakout 2nd season. He still need work stopping the run and covering, but I fully expect him to rack up double digit sacks this season since he will be starting. Posey is hurt, and it's a shame because I thought he could have a pretty solid year for us.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes the biggest jump in their 2nd/3rd season. Reply with quote

I'll go player by player:

lumberjackchris wrote:
1. JJ Watt - How can one improve on what he did? Watt can completely change games as he did, but if he has 10 sacks, folks will cry that he took a step backwards. A damn shame, honestly. (No jump).

2. Brooks Reed - I don't know, depends on where he ends up. If he stays at OLB, I can see a strong improvement going into next year; Guy had a few injuries to account for, but even when healthy...he was invisible, and we know the talent is there. If he moves to ILB, I fear a bit of a learning curve affecting his production. He will be good, but not playing to his potential. (Jump if OLB, step backwards if ILB).

3. Brandon Harris - Can't say I saw much in him that would leave me feeling warm and fuzzy. It isn't like Kareem Jackson, where you saw him mentally improving but was held back due to athletic ability; Harris is plenty fast and plenty quick, it just didn't seem to "click" with him mentally. Maybe some film sessions with Ed Reed can change that, but I don't expect much. (No jump).

4. Roc Carmicheal - I think he is who he is, and that is a guy who can make a slight impact on ST. As soon as his contract is up, I doubt he's a Texan for much longer, I have very little hope for him. (Slight jump on ST, no jump elsewhere).

5. Shiloh Keo - I'm going to be bold, and say that Keo becomes a good spot reserve for the Texans; If one of the S needs a breather, Keo will be able to come in and maintain the defense for 1-2 snaps, which is a big jump considering what he's been up to this point. (Jump).

6. TJ Yates - Hopefully we won't have to see whether or not he has. (No jump).

7. Derick Newton - I'm not convinced that Newton will be ready to play this season. I actually think he will be PUP listed going into TC, and probably moved to IR once the season starts. (No jump).

Quote:
1. Whitney Mercilus - Leading OLB in sacks last year, getting all starter snaps moving forward, technique is questionable but athleticism isn't. Will be the 3rd most impactful player on the defense this upcoming season (Big jump)

2. Devier Posey - PUP/IR? I think so. (No jump).

3. Brandon Brooks - Starting RG, a spot that needed some shoring up. The lack of an established RT will diminish the view on Brooks, but he should really show some chutzpa at the spot. (Jump)

4. Ben Jones - Doubt he'll see much PT, which means that Brooks has the spot outright. (No jump).

5. Keshawn Martin - Guy was a mystery this past season; There are times where he shows flashes, but times where he looked lost. I think this season is much of the same; Maybe some bigger plays on ST, but not many. (No jump).

6. Jared Crick - If ever there was a case to let Antonio Smith walk, it will be after this season, where Crick proves to be a very stout run defender. (Not saying we SHOULD let the Ninja walk, just saying a case can be made). Smith will have the sexy stats and bring the attitude, but Crick will start to develop into that blue collar DE who does the heavy lifting, taking up blockers and giving lanes to the LBs. (Jump).

7. Randy Bullock - Zero experience, can't say he'll have a jump or not. (No jump).

Two names to add:

TE Phillip Supernaw - Well rounded package at TE, probably the best blocking TE we have on the team. Not as fast as Graham or Daniels, but has soft hands and can grind out defenders when blocking; I see him getting a lot of PT this year, and he will be one of the key aspects to a bounceback year for Arian Foster. (Big jump).

FS Eddie Pleseant - Arguably a better S than Keo was last preseason, Pleseant has a knack for reading a play and making good on his instincts. Texans should still find Ed Reed's successor, but said successor will find themselves in a timeshare with Pleseant; When Reed retires and the rookie takes on the starting S role, Pleseant will probably be the #3 S. (Big jump).

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get where the JJ is already ELITE aspect, but he said it himself that the elbow injury slowed him down this year. Which is a scary thought for the rest of the NFL, but I think he continues to grow and with his work ethic, talent, and hopefully healthiness, he'll be even better this coming season.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Brooks should make a big jump this upcoming season. For more, refer to the article. http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/G-Brandon-Brooks-sheds-weight-down-to-325-pounds/37279c7d-e18f-43a7-9ecc-a7f25d6071d2
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houstonX wrote:
Brandon Brooks should make a big jump this upcoming season. For more, refer to the article. http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/G-Brandon-Brooks-sheds-weight-down-to-325-pounds/37279c7d-e18f-43a7-9ecc-a7f25d6071d2

Ya, I posted something about this in the Brooks thread

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look for big jumps in performance from Brandon Brooks, Derek Newton though the injury does concern me, and Whitney Mercilus. I think Mercilus will have a big year provided Smith and Watt stay healthy.

Lestar Jean should be on the bubble in TC. He needs to step up big or be given his walking papers.

Last edited by Wolf6151 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think Lestar Jean should be on this list. I expect the coaching staff to give him plenty of opportunities and I still think he's a good prospect. If we don't take a receiver in the first or second round I think Jean's got a legitimate chance to compete with that player for the starting job. I think Keshawn Martin could have a big year in the slot as well.

I'm not sure whether Brooks or Jones will emerge but I'm thinking it could be both. Also, I think the strides Derek Newton took this season are overshadowed by the fact that he probably shouldn't have been starting in the first place. I think Newton's a good prospect and could potentially beat out someone like Ricky Wagner in their rookie year.

LORK88
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
I also think Lestar Jean should be on this list. I expect the coaching staff to give him plenty of opportunities and I still think he's a good prospect. If we don't take a receiver in the first or second round I think Jean's got a legitimate chance to compete with that player for the starting job. I think Keshawn Martin could have a big year in the slot as well.

Consistency and injuries are the only two points of contention with him. When he does good stuff, he does good stuff and you notice him; Those are few and far between, and he tends to vanish (or he's hurt).

If he can get that behind him, I can see that...but I wouldn't want to bet a season's worth of no #2 WRs on it.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm expecting a lot from Randy Bullock, Whitney, and Jared Crick.

To a lesser extent Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael.
texansfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Jared Crick. I read a lot of great things about him before the draft last year. The big knock on him was the injury that derailed his senior year. Prior to that he was being compared as a poor man's JJ Watt. I think he plays a platoon role this year and demonstrates he is capable of taking the other DE spot from Antonio Smith.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has to be whitney merciless

we need him to be a 10 sack guy for us for the next 6-8 years

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes the biggest jump in their 2nd/3rd season. Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
With the draft 2 weeks away, it's time to take a look back at the future of the team.

1. JJ Watt
2. Brooks Reed
3. Brandon Harris
4. Roc Carmicheal
5. Shiloh Keo
6. TJ Yates
7. Derick Newton

1. Whitney Mercilus
2. Devier Posey
3. Brandon Brooks
4. Ben Jones
5. Keshawn Martin
6. Jared Crick
7. Randy Bullock

I'll go with Newton. People act as if Duane Brown was an instant success. He platooned with Salaam his entire first year and flat stunk his second year with Kasey Studdard next to him (instead of Pitts) and was looking like a bust. It wasn't until he got Wade Smith next to him in 2010 that the light really came on and he's improved each of the past 3 seasons. Having Antoine Caldwell starting next to you followed by rotating rookies would challenge anyone especially when they are miscast into the ZBS. If stories of Brooks slimming down, he could be a breakout candidate as well.

Going the other way, I suspect Carmichael will join the long list of Rick Smith misses in the secondary as well as Mondek and Ozougwu as ex-Texans from these drafts. Shiloh Keo better be relegated back to special teams or this secondary is in trouble. Posey will be a 10 week PUP lister at best and I'm betting extends Rick's long line of misses in the 3rd round including Jacoby / Molden / Slaton / Caldwell.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: