Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are you willing to make a move?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you willing to trade up for that Must Have Guy?
Yes, for a fair price
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Oh heck no!!
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Yes! Go get him at all cost!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

textaz03

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Are you willing to make a move? Reply with quote

Earlier in the week, I asked you all the question of who you didn't want to draft.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=519659

So it's time for my next question.

Who in this draft would you trade UP for in the first round or the second round? Is there that must have player that may slip from the top of the board that we should go up and get? How far are you willing to jump and what are you willin to give up to make that move?

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne

Last edited by textaz03 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill buy anything for the right price, but in reality im guessing that there wont be a deal that I would be interested in.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

The draft is such a crap shot that if you can get a player you believe will turn into a cornerstone of this franchise you do so at all costs.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on a few things like do I have additional picks to use as leverage, and am I in a friendly cap situation? Given the Cowboys circumstances my answer would be no. I don't think we can afford to give up picks given the multiple needs we have on our roster. Trading down and getting additional picks I would entertain.

I look back to last year and the Claiborne trade. While I love the player I hated parting with the 45th pick.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll only talk about the 1st round pick because it's too hard to speculate on the 2nd round pick due to all of the variables.

Based on who is in this draft, what we need, and where we're situated in the draft, it's hard for me to picture a scenario where we'd be in a position to consider moving up for anyone. Let's look at the positions individually and try to think of a "must have" guy who may be selected before the 18th pick:

QB - None. I don't consider any of the QBs to be 1st round picks this year.
RB - None. There isn't a RB worth that high of a pick.
WR - None. It's a weak draft for WRs.
TE - None. None of the TEs are worth that high of a pick.
OG - None. Even if Warmack is gone, Cooper will likely be available.
C - None. There isn't a Center worth that high of a pick.
OT - None. The depth is ample enough to wait and see if someone falls to us.

DT - None. The depth is ample enough to wait and see if someone falls to us.
DE - None. I don't particularly like any of the pass rushers this year.
OLB - None. Jarvis Jones is my favorite player in this draft, but I wouldn't trade up for him.
MLB/ILB - None. There isn't a MLB/ILB worth that high of a pick.
CB - None. With Claiborne and Carr, we have no reason to move up.
FS/SS - None. The depth is ample enough to wait and see if someone falls to us.

Even if Sharrif Floyd or Lotulelei start to slide, I don't think I'd make the move. I'd rather sit back, be patient, and let the draft come to us. If all of the player whom we covet are gone (which is doubtful), then I'd explore my options at trading down and stockpiling picks. This is the kind of draft where having a high volume of picks is much more beneficial than using multiple picks on a stud. I'd rather have the volume and totally rebuild the o-line and d-line, which is very possible given the depth at those spots this year. I'd rather not sacrifice that opportunity for one guy who won't turn the team around by himself.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
htfryar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like where we are at in the draft in relation to our team's needs. There are only 3 scenarios that would make me consider moving up in the 1st round.

1. If Warmack goes early, I would consider moving up to make sure we got Cooper.

2. If Lane Johnson falls to about 15 or so, I'd move up for him and have bookend OT's for a decade.

3. If we take Cooper at 18 and someone like Sylvester Williams starts falling down the draft board, I'd move up to take him.

Ideally though, we'd stay put at #18 and take Cooper. Then we could do some wheeling and dealing to come up with 2 picks in the second round. That is where the depth is at, IMO. If we could come up with something like this...

1. Jonathan Cooper, OG, UNC
2a. Eric Reid, FS, LSU
2b. Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin

I'd be ecstatic.

Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 13 tackles, 2 TFL, 0 sacks, 1 Pass Break Up
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
I really like where we are at in the draft in relation to our team's needs. There are only 3 scenarios that would make me consider moving up in the 1st round.

1. If Warmack goes early, I would consider moving up to make sure we got Cooper.

2. If Lane Johnson falls to about 15 or so, I'd move up for him and have bookend OT's for a decade.

3. If we take Cooper at 18 and someone like Sylvester Williams starts falling down the draft board, I'd move up to take him.

Ideally though, we'd stay put at #18 and take Cooper. Then we could do some wheeling and dealing to come up with 2 picks in the second round. That is where the depth is at, IMO. If we could come up with something like this...

2a. Eric Reid, FS, LSU

I'd be ecstatic.

I can't think of too many draft scanarios which would be better than that, ht. Unless it's Cooper, Williams, and Frederick, that's about as ideal as we'd get.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more inclined to trade up in the second round. If a guy we have given a first round grade to is sitting there, I would go get him. We didn't do that in 2009, and it cost us Max Unger.

I think if Warmack, Cooper, Richardson, and Vaccaro are all gone by 18, we'll be in a decent position to trade down. Someone might be very interested in coming up and nabbing Tavon Austin or one of the pass rushers. So I'd be hesitant to trade up. The meat of this draft is the second and third round. I don't want to give up those picks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Lotulelei started to drop I'd make the jump. I just think he's going to be a beast
Desperado Dan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't anyone I'd like to trade up for, but if we could somehow get 3 picks in the first two rounds I'd be ecstatic. There will be a lot of good players waiting for a home in the 2nd.

The eyes of Texas are upon you...
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would move back up into the 1st but not from 18.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
htfryar wrote:

2a. Eric Reid, FS, LSU

I'd be ecstatic.

I can't think of too many draft scanarios which would be better than that, ht. Unless it's Cooper, Williams, and Frederick, that's about as ideal as we'd get.

Just finished watching some film of Sylvester Williams and KaWann Short. I would be pumped about either one of them. I think both have the potential to be very good defensive tackles.

Short is more refined at this point, IMO. He can really collapse a pocket AND get penetration. But he doesn't have the motor that Williams does. I think both of those guys are better prospects at their positions than Reid (who I also like a lot).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
I'll only talk about the 1st round pick because it's too hard to speculate on the 2nd round pick due to all of the variables.

Based on who is in this draft, what we need, and where we're situated in the draft, it's hard for me to picture a scenario where we'd be in a position to consider moving up for anyone. Let's look at the positions individually and try to think of a "must have" guy who may be selected before the 18th pick:

QB - None. I don't consider any of the QBs to be 1st round picks this year.
RB - None. There isn't a RB worth that high of a pick.
WR - None. It's a weak draft for WRs.
TE - None. None of the TEs are worth that high of a pick.
OG - None. Even if Warmack is gone, Cooper will likely be available.
C - None. There isn't a Center worth that high of a pick.
OT - None. The depth is ample enough to wait and see if someone falls to us.

DT - None. The depth is ample enough to wait and see if someone falls to us.
DE - None. I don't particularly like any of the pass rushers this year.
OLB - None. Jarvis Jones is my favorite player in this draft, but I wouldn't trade up for him.
MLB/ILB - None. There isn't a MLB/ILB worth that high of a pick.
CB - None. With Claiborne and Carr, we have no reason to move up.
FS/SS - None. The depth is ample enough to wait and see if someone falls to us.

Even if Sharrif Floyd or Lotulelei start to slide, I don't think I'd make the move. I'd rather sit back, be patient, and let the draft come to us. If all of the player whom we covet are gone (which is doubtful), then I'd explore my options at trading down and stockpiling picks. This is the kind of draft where having a high volume of picks is much more beneficial than using multiple picks on a stud. I'd rather have the volume and totally rebuild the o-line and d-line, which is very possible given the depth at those spots this year. I'd rather not sacrifice that opportunity for one guy who won't turn the team around by himself.

Very well put Plan. I agree with this AND I like HT's idea of making a move to aquire another 2nd rounder. Capital idea!
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so lets say Warmack and Cooper are gone by 18 and Dallas stays put and goes Defense or even trades down a few spots...and OG Larry Warford is there after the first 10 picks in round 2...id go up and get him...a starting OG is a must this year...no 5 year projects.

Peace
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sodakcowboy78 wrote:
so lets say Warmack and Cooper are gone by 18 and Dallas stays put and goes Defense or even trades down a few spots...and OG Larry Warford is there after the first 10 picks in round 2...id go up and get him...a starting OG is a must this year...no 5 year projects.

Peace

Depends on the other players on the board. I'd be fine waiting on Pugh, Long, or Armstead than panicking and trading a nice pick away for Warford.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: