Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Report: Schiano 'not on board' with Freeman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HandsomeBob29

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Report: Schiano 'not on board' with Freeman Reply with quote

From ROTOWORLD:

Quote:
The Tampa Bay Times reports the Bucs' organization is generally committed to Josh Freeman, but coach Greg Schiano is not "on board."

Per beat writer Stephen Holder, "everything you’ve read and heard" about the Bucs pursuing free-agent quarterbacks has been driven by Schiano. They checked in on Matt Cassel, Carson Palmer, and Chase Daniel and are now expected to drafted a middle-round QB. Schiano joined the Bucs last season, three years after the organization used the No. 17 overall pick on Freeman. However, the only "competition" the Bucs have actually signed is incumbent backup Dan Orlovsky. Even if they draft a quarterback, Schiano appears content to let this be a make-or-break season for Freeman.

We've known that there has been beef somewhere high up with Freeman's progression and with him in a contract year and the money being delt out to Quarterbacks, it is most likely Tampa is not going to resign him unless he has a great year.

What do you all think? Commit to Freeman and pay a $15-20 deal or look for someone else?

Rise and Grind. Gators 2013
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Report: Schiano 'not on board' with Freeman Reply with quote

HandsomeBob29 wrote:
From ROTOWORLD:

Quote:
The Tampa Bay Times reports the Bucs' organization is generally committed to Josh Freeman, but coach Greg Schiano is not "on board."

Per beat writer Stephen Holder, "everything you’ve read and heard" about the Bucs pursuing free-agent quarterbacks has been driven by Schiano. They checked in on Matt Cassel, Carson Palmer, and Chase Daniel and are now expected to drafted a middle-round QB. Schiano joined the Bucs last season, three years after the organization used the No. 17 overall pick on Freeman. However, the only "competition" the Bucs have actually signed is incumbent backup Dan Orlovsky. Even if they draft a quarterback, Schiano appears content to let this be a make-or-break season for Freeman.

We've known that there has been beef somewhere high up with Freeman's progression and with him in a contract year and the money being delt out to Quarterbacks, it is most likely Tampa is not going to resign him unless he has a great year.

What do you all think? Commit to Freeman and pay a $15-20 deal or look for someone else?

Full article. http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/heres-why-the-bucs-havent-had-a-shakeup-at-quarterback/2114014

Apparently schiano and Dom are not seeing eye to eye. Dom is sold on freeman hence he's willing to dish out what's necessary to get Revis. However schiano isn't sold on josh freeman. You can definately that there was frustration.
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article. I think its spot on. This offseason shows a Head Coach's willingness to get competition at the position, something you want at every position except maybe not with having your starting QB always looking over his shoulder. It also shows Dominik not really caring to get someone to push Freeman like a Carson Palmer. The article makes a good point though. Despite Freeman's erratic play last season as he got a bit more on track from 2011, there are few starting caliber QBs better than Freeman that we could acquire. Freeman wont have much competition this season that is for sure, but if anything, he knows that Schiano, the HC, is his biggest critic and he is playing on a 1 year deal.

When it is all said and done and 2013 is in the books, I think Freeman has an above average season of 4,000 yards / 30 TD / 10 INT / 60% completion. He will be extended to a reasonable deal due to his past ups and downs around 4 years $10 - $12 million per year.

Smack ^
#FireLovie
96BucsBallin wrote:
Only our team would lose by having an non reviewable play reviewed.
Calibucsfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the PR forum...had to do it
Get on the yearly Buc carousel. Start off trash. Look better by mid season. Win 2-3 games at the end of the season. Get the 7th pick. Have what most fans consider a great draft and free agency. Start off trash again. Rinse and repeat
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already knew most of this.

I think the most troubling part of this article is that our head coach and GM do not see eye to eye at all. You need consistency there, especially for the most important position on the team.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:

I think the most troubling part of this article is that our head coach and GM do not see eye to eye at all. You need consistency there, especially for the most important position on the team.

Agreed. But a solid season by Freeman should ease Schiano's mind or a bad season should change Dom's. But with another year in the system I think Freeman will be fine and Schiano will be on board. Only right for him to be skeptical. He didnt draft the guy and Freeman was inconsistent last season.

Smack ^
#FireLovie
96BucsBallin wrote:
Only our team would lose by having an non reviewable play reviewed.
bucstopshere

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil' Shorty wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:

Agreed. But a solid season by Freeman should ease Schiano's mind or a bad season should change Dom's. But with another year in the system I think Freeman will be fine and Schiano will be on board. Only right for him to be skeptical. He didnt draft the guy and Freeman was inconsistent last season.

delete those three terrible games by Free and he was great last year. Problem is we can't delete those games from our memory. We need a solid 16 games of consistency out of our boy this year. I think he can do it, but he has to prove it on the field

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucstopshere wrote:
Lil' Shorty wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:

delete those three terrible games by Free and he was great last year. Problem is we can't delete those games from our memory. We need a solid 16 games of consistency out of our boy this year. I think he can do it, but he has to prove it on the field

What three terrible games? Just bc he didt throw INTs in certain games doesn't mean he was good.

Dallas , Washington , Atlanta , Denver , Philadelphia , @ Saints, rams were not very good performances or absolutely terrible.

The giants game wasn't very good but not awful either. Led to too many 3 and outs and critical turnover that sparked the gmen.

The games he played well in : saints (first time) chargers, panthers (2nd time) Vikings, raiders: we're against poor defenses. KCs performance was mixed because a lot of production came against some poorly played balls by the cheifs secondary (Stanford route mostly).
Atlanta was a solid performance.

I'll give him a break on the Carolina game first of the year due to horrible weather conditions.

Watching the games he's too inconsistent and has 99% tunnel vision which rob Ryan exposed then multiple teams did later in te year.
Soul Glo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This honestly just seems like speculation on obvious facts. Schiano likes Freeman, he'll be the guy this year but the reason he hasn't commited is because why should he? Let's let this season play out. He's gotta put it together this season. I don't know why everyone makes it more complicated than it seems, it's gonna depend on the upcoming season.
Pvsports9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably the only thing I agree with schiano on...

draft Landry Jones and let's roll baby
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pvsports9 wrote:
probably the only thing I agree with schiano on...

draft Landry Jones and let's roll baby

Not liking Freeman..sure. But Landry Jones? Really?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this how we all pretty much feel? If Free sucks this year then we replace him. If he plays well, resign him. Seems pretty easy.

Adopt-a-Buc Lavonte David 12 Games | 133 Tackles (16 for loss) | 1 Sack | 4 PDs | 3 FFs | 1 FR
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
Isn't this how we all pretty much feel? If Free sucks this year then we replace him. If he plays well, resign him. Seems pretty easy.

Pretty much every time Freeman drops back to pass, I get that cringing feeling not knowing what the result is going to be.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:

Yup.

Mike Evans 57 - 935 - 10
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
bucsfan333 wrote:

Yup.

Thing is, what's your back up plan if he starts the year off horribly? That's why I think Schiano is "pushing" to draft someone earlier than we think. I don't think, for his job security and the way the nfl is, he wants to suffer a losing season on the account of josh freeman playing awful again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: