Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots sign WR Emmanuel Sanders to offer; Steelers match
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Wow crazy from Pittsburgh - why would you screw your cap situation further for a guy who might leave after one year?

This! Over and over again! I hate the decision to match the offer. Sanders signing the tender with them was a clear-cut "I want out" move. He's likely now going to leave next year and sign with New England; and we get no pick for it.

I want him here; but the signing there made it clear he wanted to go there.

You get a comp. if he has a good season, you're looking at a fourth or fifth.
And you got to rent him for an additional year to find a replacement.

I think it's a decent move.

new sig... sorry alex
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
Lose/lose situation IMO. If I'm a Steelers fan, I'm not happy. If I'm a Pats fan, I'm not happy.

The Steelers have proven to be very good at replacing WRs over the years and have excelled at letting these type of guys move on when necessary. Sanders really hasn't done all that much in this league and a 3rd rounder in this years draft + the salary relief would have been huge. I would much rather have that 3rd than Sanders if I'm a PIT fan.

On the contrary, New England has pretty much proven to be awful at evaluating WRs in the draft. To be honest, I think their evaluation of Sanders isn't that good. I don't think he's worth a 3rd. With that said, if I'm a Pats fan I would prefer to give up a late 3rd for a young guy at a position where we've been awful at drafting. Sanders would at least be better than the guys they've been selecting.

I think that's over-stated. They haven't spent higher than a third in 8 years. Branch and Givens were very talented but ruined by injuries. Price, Tate, Edelman...at what rate do 3-7 round picks become stars?

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 76 Yards: 1093 TDs: 11
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Wow crazy from Pittsburgh - why would you screw your cap situation further for a guy who might leave after one year?

This! Over and over again! I hate the decision to match the offer. Sanders signing the tender with them was a clear-cut "I want out" move. He's likely now going to leave next year and sign with New England; and we get no pick for it.

Seriously? What did you expect him to do, refuse to sign? They offered him a contract that was more than he would've gotten in Pittsburgh. Of course he signed. Anyone would. It means nothing.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Seriously? What did you expect him to do, refuse to sign? They offered him a contract that was more than he would've gotten in Pittsburgh. Of course he signed. Anyone would. It means nothing.

Yeah, signing that offer sheet guaranteed him a $1.3M bump in salary regardless of where he was playing. Is there anyone would turn down an absolute no-downside $1.3M? Seriously?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Once again dude, you have nothing to back this up.

He signed the sheet because it offered him more money than he wouldve gotten otherwise.

I hate this logic that just because a player takes more money to go somewhere else, he doesnt want to stay.

Now, Im not saying that he doesnt want to go there. Who wouldnt want to play with Tom Brady? But Sanders has even said he would prefer to stay in Pittsburgh. That may or may not be true, but my point is, nothing he has done or said makes it OBVIOUS he wants to leave. Like any player in this league, he wants to make some money.

And some of you are underrating the Steelers chances of signing him. If he has a huge season, then yes, but if he has another 600-800, 3-5 TD season, he isnt going to command a huge amount. In that case, it will be a matter of "is he worth extending long term". At this point, they clearly believe he is, and its not out of the question that they will get a deal done, despite what some people are claiming.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Ketchup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Yeah, signing that offer sheet guaranteed him a $1.3M bump in salary regardless of where he was playing. Is there anyone would turn down an absolute no-downside $1.3M? Seriously?
Exactly. That was a pure business decision by Sanders. Patriots offfered him double of what the Steelers tendered him at. He would be a fool if he turned that down. Sanders even posted on his Twitter that he's glad it's over and he can get to work with the Steelers.
@E_Sanders88 wrote:
Glad the business side is out of the way. Now its back to playing football and bringing number 7 back to Pittsburgh. Love!!! #Steelernation
That comment doesn't sound like someone that was trying to get out.

Kempes on the custom sig!
sayheykid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
I think that's over-stated. They haven't spent higher than a third in 8 years. Branch and Givens were very talented but ruined by injuries. Price, Tate, Edelman...at what rate do 3-7 round picks become stars?

Are you trying to block Chad Jackson from your memory? Not that I blame you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Exactly. That was a pure business decision by Sanders. Patriots offfered him double of what the Steelers tendered him at. He would be a fool if he turned that down. Sanders even posted on his Twitter that he's glad it's over and he can get to work with the Steelers.
@E_Sanders88 wrote:
Glad the business side is out of the way. Now its back to playing football and bringing number 7 back to Pittsburgh. Love!!! #Steelernation

I am sure it was just business, but even if he wanted out what else would he say? He has to play with these guys next year.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patman wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
@E_Sanders88 wrote:

I am sure it was just business, but even if he wanted out what else would he say? He has to play with these guys next year.
He didn't have to say anything.

Kempes on the custom sig!
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patman wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
@E_Sanders88 wrote:

Yeah no way of telling with Twitter/Facebook.... he seems happy to stay a Steeler but like you said, he isn't going to be negative about it. Em is a good dude.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sayheykid wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

Are you trying to block Chad Jackson from your memory? Not that I blame you.

Chad Jackson was 2006. He was off by a year (it's been 7, not Cool.

The point remains the same. They've invested two 3 round picks in WR's and not much else. I don't know that that's much of anything upon which to draw conclusions about their ability to hit on a 1st or high 2nd round talent this year.
patman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
patman wrote:
PatriotsWin! wrote:
Sciz wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
I dont get this.

You WOULD have liked to seen him on your team, yet the Steelers made a bad decision for keeping that player?

Care to explain?
I think that Sanders would have been much more likely to make the Pats a Super Bowl contending team than the Steelers, and the Patriots don't have the cap nightmare this offseason and next.

I think it's pretty unanimous that this is a bad move if the Steelers let Sanders go after this one year.

With $80M invested in 8 players next season, how do you propose they sign another player (Sanders) to a moderately sized contract without having minimum salary guys everywhere else on the roster?

That's nuts. And they just keep restructuring, making the cap situation in future years even worse. That bubble is going to pop soon, the Steelers GM needs to structure contracts better.

But anyway, I'm conflicted about not getting Sanders. I realize we need WRs badly and anyone in the draft is probably not going to contribute as quickly as Sanders. But on the other hand, there are some really good WRs in this draft we could land with that 3rd pick. Had the Sanders offer been a long term deal, I might have leaned more towards disappointed but as it stand, I'm cool with the outcome.

The Sanders deal would have been converted to a long term deal, and I am pretty sure the parameters were in place. Long term deals are easier to match so that IMO is why the deal was done that way. I wanted him, but theguy I really want is another Ex-steeler, Washington.
The Titans would let him go cheap as there were rumors of locker room trouble. the only thing is he salary is 10 mill over the next two years.

Nate Washington?

At this point, Sanders isnt better, but he has far more upside.

Nate Washington would just be another average WR for the Pats. Sanders mightve been as well, but as I said, he has far more upside.

For sure, you can't even compare the two. Washington is just what he is- no upside at all, but the titans pretty much just want to dump him and will probably take a conditional pick next year, But at a salary of 4.5 next
year he is too expensive.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have been fine if he left and they would have gotten a third round pick. However, there were just too many questions regarding the passing game to let him go. The lack of depth at WR and Miller's injury were probably the main reasons why they decided to keep him. It's not something that I can criticize them about in that reason. Sanders still has questions about whether he can be a starter and stay healthy though.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sanders will be signed long term and I think he will have a break out year this year. I predict:

60 recs, 900 yds, 5 tds

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Agent Jordan Woy told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that "several teams" made offers to Sanders in restricted free agency.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159955/article/emmanuel-sanders-had-several-offers-says-agent

His agent also said that the Steelers don't currently have a long-term deal with Sanders set and that the Patriots didn't have a long-term contract ready for Sanders to sign if they were to acquire him.
Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: