Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots sign WR Emmanuel Sanders to offer; Steelers match
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:
I really don't understand the fuss about Sanders. Is he really that good to the point where you cannot get a comparable if not better for a third round pick?

With how deep this class is, there's a good chance a guy like Chris Harper or Terrance Williams could be available at NE's third round choice.

I don't get it... Rolling Eyes

I too like Chris Harper, but you can't bank your entire positional group on him being available without overpaying.

Here's the thing. If the Pats don't add anyone else at the position, the depth chart is 1) Danny Amendola 2) Julian Edelman 3) Donald Jones at wide receiver. That means they ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO get a starting wide receiver in the draft, regardless of value on their board. They'll have to overdraft at WR to make sure they get what they need. That also means every other team in the league knows which players they are gunning for and trading down will be more difficult. Its not a good position to be in, relying on the draft so much.

Sanders isn't special but he's a pro wide receiver, which is more than you can say about any receiver drafted by the Pats in 10 years. He's also in all likelihood better than what will be available at #91.

I'm not convinced this actually happens (it makes sense imo for Pittsburgh to keep him for the year) but if it does I'll be thrilled.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:
I really don't understand the fuss about Sanders. Is he really that good to the point where you cannot get a comparable if not better for a third round pick?

With how deep this class is, there's a good chance a guy like Chris Harper or Terrance Williams could be available at NE's third round choice.

I can't see how Terrance Williams lasts to the BOTTOM of the 3rd round. Either way, it typically takes a WR 3 years to break out and resemble their prime selves. Tom Brady will be 38 before a new rookie enters their 3rd season. When you have a team like the Pats have now with an aging centerpiece, you need to put your assets on the field and go for it.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Selkiesxx wrote:

I can't see how Terrance Williams lasts to the BOTTOM of the 3rd round. Either way, it typically takes a WR 3 years to break out and resemble their prime selves. Tom Brady will be 38 before a new rookie enters their 3rd season. When you have a team like the Pats have now with an aging centerpiece, you need to put your assets on the field and go for it.

It may take a young WR a few years to break out, however, that doesnt mean they cant still be productive from the get go. With Brady at QB, any rookie WR probably wont have much of a learning curve, nor will they have much delayed production.Assuming they arent a complete dud of course.

I think acquiring Sanders would be a smart move for them, for a 3rd rd pick, it really isnt bad value and he is probably just as good as the late 3rd rd WRs anyway.
tom cody

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent pick up for New England. Watch Tom Brady turn this guy into a star.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:

Steelers could and are likely to match the offer sheet.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Times Tom Brady has actively ignored throwing to Number 80:
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
tom cody wrote:

Steelers could and are likely to match the offer sheet.

I dont know about that.

They are bringing in Bradshaw and probably plan on signing him, which will limit our money. I think the only way the Steelers match is if they feel like they can retain him beyond this year.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like this move for us. Sanders has peaked IMO and he's never gonna be more than an average #2 or good #3 WR. I'd rather keep the draft pick. And don't tell me that pick has no value over Sanders. While it isn't guaranteed to return a player that can provide more than Sanders can to us, it doesn't mean it can't.
Forced Fumbles:1
PDs2:
INTs:1
Pick 6s:
jofos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
I don't like this move for us. Sanders has peaked IMO and he's never gonna be more than an average #2 or good #3 WR. I'd rather keep the draft pick. And don't tell me that pick has no value over Sanders. While it isn't guaranteed to return a player that can provide more than Sanders can to us, it doesn't mean it can't.

Who would you like to pick in the third round that would bring more to the team than Sanders? I think second round picks over the last 10 years have only had a 50% success rate over all and I would think the third would be lower. I'm not real sure about Sanders myself but when he gat a chance he did pretty well.
titwio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:

I had this same belief with Chad Johnson and Brandon Lloyd. I'm not so sure anymore.
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:

I dont particularly care for the class so if he is just a #2 WR I'd be cool w/ that for a 3rd. We're asking him to be a 4th option in passing game.
titwio wrote:
tom cody wrote:

I had this same belief with Chad Johnson and Brandon Lloyd. I'm not so sure anymore.

lloyd was ok nothing great but did what was expected.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
tom cody wrote:

Johnson and Lloyd were older receivers that were past their prime. Emmanuel Sanders is 26, and still has plenty of game left.

Its a good pick-up by New England if Pittsburgh doesn't match the offer sheet. If Amendola can stay healthy, he and Sanders could be a very nice WR duo.

Nacho Simulation Football League
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping we dont match it. Its evident he wants to leave and will likely just leave next year as a UFA anyway. Take the good pick and use it on a bigger need. We may be average at WR over this; but a healthy Ben can and will still make plays.

I'd rather him leave and get compensation then stick around for one last year and get nothing for him.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
I'm hoping we dont match it. Its evident he wants to leave and will likely just leave next year as a UFA anyway. Take the good pick and use it on a bigger need. We may be average at WR over this; but a healthy Ben can and will still make plays.

I'd rather him leave and get compensation then stick around for one last year and get nothing for him.

How is it evident he wants to leave?

He even said he would like to stay, but obviously he is going to do whats best for his future if the Steelers cant secure his future.
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
Selkiesxx wrote:

It may take a young WR a few years to break out, however, that doesnt mean they cant still be productive from the get go. With Brady at QB, any rookie WR probably wont have much of a learning curve, nor will they have much delayed production.Assuming they arent a complete dud of course.

I think acquiring Sanders would be a smart move for them, for a 3rd rd pick, it really isnt bad value and he is probably just as good as the late 3rd rd WRs anyway.

Yes, there's no way of knowing whether said rookie will be productive or not. I think te issue is the idea that one can guarantee any level of production out of a rookie.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the BB picks WR and DBs. I take my chances with the Pro!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: