Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots sign WR Emmanuel Sanders to offer; Steelers match
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:

I think that's over-stated. They haven't spent higher than a third in 8 years. Branch and Givens were very talented but ruined by injuries. Price, Tate, Edelman...at what rate do 3-7 round picks become stars?

I don't think it's been overstated at all. If anything, the Patriots haven't received enough criticism for completely failing to develop WRs. No other team has come close. In the past decade, they haven't drafted a single WR with more than 1000 career receiving yards. You don't expect 3rd round picks to become stars very often, but you do expect them to be productive players. It doesn't take a great WR to manage to get 1000 career receiving yards with a decent QB, let alone a future Hall of Fame QB.
patman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhackyPlague wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

I think that's over-stated. They haven't spent higher than a third in 8 years. Branch and Givens were very talented but ruined by injuries. Price, Tate, Edelman...at what rate do 3-7 round picks become stars?

I don't think it's been overstated at all. If anything, the Patriots haven't received enough criticism for completely failing to develop WRs. No other team has come close. In the past decade, they haven't drafted a single WR with more than 1000 career receiving yards. You don't expect 3rd round picks to become stars very often, but you do expect them to be productive players. It doesn't take a great WR to manage to get 1000 career receiving yards with a decent QB, let alone a future Hall of Fame QB.

Why do they need to be more criticized? It is not like thier passing game has not been successful.

Cindy Crawford is a beauty, but she should get rid of that mole.
patman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Agent Jordan Woy told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that "several teams" made offers to Sanders in restricted free agency.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159955/article/emmanuel-sanders-had-several-offers-says-agent

His agent also said that the Steelers don't currently have a long-term deal with Sanders set and that the Patriots didn't have a long-term contract ready for Sanders to sign if they were to acquire him.

Yeah, I think the wording "ready for sanders to sign" is telling. I am sure the parameters of a agreement were in place, just that the actual written contract was not yet formalized.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were having money problems...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
I thought they were having money problems...
they freed up room when they cut Harrison I believe

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhackyPlague wrote:
You don't expect 3rd round picks to become stars very often, but you do expect them to be productive players.

You really shouldn't expect that. It's what you hope for obviously, but 3rd round picks (especially late 3rd rounders) rarely turn into quality players.

Of the 51 3rd round WR's drafted between 1999-2009, 27 have fewer than 1,000 yards receiving. Only 18 have 1500+. Only 22 of them have 100+ career receptions.

It's not a Patriots thing. League-wide, teams struggle to find WR's in any round of the draft. Steve Smith (Carolina) and Mike Wallace are the 3rd rounders that people remember, but in Wallace's draft class of 2009 there were 6 other 3rd round receivers drafted:

Derrick Williams
Brandon Tate
Ramses Barden
Patrick Turner
Deon Butler
Juaquin Iglesias

Combined, those guys have amassed 142 catches for 1994 yards and only 25 games started. They have all been traded or released (or left unsigned as a free agent) by their drafting team.

Whiffing on Chad Jackson in 2006 hurts and was something to bash Belichick for. Missing on Brandon Tate (the most productive non-Wallace of the 2009 3rd round) and Taylor Price isn't surprising and really shouldn't be used as evidence that the team "can't" draft WR's

If there is a failure, it was not investing more high (i.e. top 40) picks in WR talent. But given the bust rate at the position (higher than most), the complexity of the Pats offense, the presence of top passing targets (Troy Brown, Moss, Welker, the TE's etc) and the holes other places, it's tough to blame them too much for not investing heavily in WR's.

Most 3rd rounders don't amount to much. Most WR draft picks don't amount to much. Don't read much into the Pats missing on guys drafted 83rd and 90th overall respectively.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: