Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens nearing deal with Rolando McClain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Integrity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:
1 year, $700,000?

Dirt cheap.

At this price, I really like it. All this does is give us a little latitude with our first couple of picks in the draft. I still see us picking an ILB early though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any chance Jameel isn't starting for us in 2012. No matter who we draft. You have to have someone in the middle who knows the defense wearing the headset.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Anubiz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously want Khaseem Greene, Gerald Hodges, or Jon Bostic pretty badly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I don't think there's any chance Jameel isn't starting for us in 2012. No matter who we draft. You have to have someone in the middle who knows the defense wearing the headset.

That's the biggest reason I think he probably sticks around. We can always dream though... Laughing

At that price for Rolando I don't see any problem with bringing him in. It should only take $220,000 of cap space (considering the Rule of 51 and the contract he's replacing is $480,000). I don't have any expectations for him but it's not a bad thing to have a bunch of competition at a spot where a lot of that competition is unproven talent. Like almost everybody else I'm still praying that the Ravens bring in a 3-down LB. The positional value there has diminished lately with the passing trend lately but I don't think that holds true for LBs who can effectively stay on the field for every down.
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Albert McClellan says hi!

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

The Seattle Seahawks would like a word with you, sir.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Salty about Dennis Pitta? Please... Dude is average as average goes...
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

I think there will be a decision made based on OTAs, Training Camp and pre-season performances. Jameel McClain didn't exactly set the world on fire last season, and ended up with an injury that could limit his effectiveness in the future.

I don't think he's assured even of a roster spot at the moment, and I'm sure that's the way he would want it. Fight for his spot just like everyone else.

Yes, the Ravens will want someone in there who is comfortable and aware enough to wear the headset, but they may well find someone else is just as capable as McClain.

And I get the feeling the defense is going to be a little different again this year. I think Pees has had a big say in the players who've left and the players who've been brought in, and he's getting the personnel he wants in there, to run the system he wants to run. It'll probably mostly be the same, but with enough new wrinkles that everyone on the roster is going to have a few new things to learn before the season starts.

If a rookie, or Rolando McClain or Josh Bynes or even Bryan Hall can pick that defense up quickly, and show themselves capable of playing and of wearing the headset, then I think they can be the guy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Josh Bynes has been in the system for two years now and is going into his third. He's going to know the system well enough to wear the headset most likely.

And when you consider the fact that Jameel is going to miss all of the OTAs and likely miss most of training camp and preseason. You're talking about a guy whose going to clearly be behind the on-field application of knowing the defense.

Personally I think Bynes probably has the headsup on being the helmet wielder at this point. As he got to apprentice under Lewis, Ellerbe, and Jameel... and is now probably our most veteran figure.

That being said, the best players are likely going to play. The addition of Rolando McClain adds an extra competitive dynamic to the equation. We're going to select a rookie ILB talent and its going to be hard to not apply that talent to the field. So at this point, I think the other starting spot probably comes down to a competition between Bynes and Rolando McClain. I just don't think that Jameel McClain will make it back and be 100% in time for him to have a shot at overtaking the other two options. Especially with how high the coaches were on Bynes last summer before his own spinal issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

I think there will be a decision made based on OTAs, Training Camp and pre-season performances. Jameel McClain didn't exactly set the world on fire last season, and ended up with an injury that could limit his effectiveness in the future.

I don't think he's assured even of a roster spot at the moment, and I'm sure that's the way he would want it. Fight for his spot just like everyone else.

Yes, the Ravens will want someone in there who is comfortable and aware enough to wear the headset, but they may well find someone else is just as capable as McClain.

And I get the feeling the defense is going to be a little different again this year. I think Pees has had a big say in the players who've left and the players who've been brought in, and he's getting the personnel he wants in there, to run the system he wants to run. It'll probably mostly be the same, but with enough new wrinkles that everyone on the roster is going to have a few new things to learn before the season starts.

If a rookie, or Rolando McClain or Josh Bynes or even Bryan Hall can pick that defense up quickly, and show themselves capable of playing and of wearing the headset, then I think they can be the guy.

Its Harbaugh were talking about here, so with that said it all depends on R. McClain's attitude and approach to the game. The way were setting up our Dline if u have talent as a inside backer its going to show up this year big time. Suggs and Doom on the edge and Ngata at nose. then we have 5 rotational lineman with starting experience all across the line. Mcphee Spears Canty Jones and Cody. I think we get a coverage backer and a safety and we have a top 5 D if we stay healthy. I want Arthur Brown and Eric Reid. We would be big, fast, and angry on Defense. Everybody having something to prove I'm excited to see how it shakes out
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Its Harbaugh were talking about here, so with that said it all depends on R. McClain's attitude and approach to the game. The way were setting up our Dline if u have talent as a inside backer its going to show up this year big time. Suggs and Doom on the edge and Ngata at nose. then we have 5 rotational lineman with starting experience all across the line. Mcphee Spears Canty Jones and Cody. I think we get a coverage backer and a safety and we have a top 5 D if we stay healthy. I want Arthur Brown and Eric Reid. We would be big, fast, and angry on Defense. Everybody having something to prove I'm excited to see how it shakes out

I was with you until you mentioned Reid. He takes some disgusting angles, but I suppose my displeasure for him is old hat by now. But yeah, our defensive additions do have a lot of potential. It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

I was with you until you mentioned Reid. He takes some disgusting angles, but I suppose my displeasure for him is old hat by now. But yeah, our defensive additions do have a lot of potential. It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together.

I know I'm in the minority on Reid but I'm cool with that, I'm telling y'all though he just needs some coaching up. If we can make Pollard look decent we will turn Reid into Steve Atwater lol.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raider fan here...I was high on RoMc when we first drafted him out of 'Bama. He flashed here and there as a Raider, after awhile though it seemed like he didnt give a damn about football, maybe it was the losing? Although, if I'm a MLB taken 8th overall, I'd be giving it my all to turn my team around, or at least the defense...he seems very immature and entitled as a human being, he's not a leader and I think he needs guys to keep him in check, maybe TSizzle and Haloti can be those guys? I honestly think he has good to great football in him, he just needs to want it...

Also, he thrived in a 3-4 at Ala, as you all know we run a 4-3, and I don't think he has the sideline to sideline speed to be productive in that D, I think the switch back to a 3-4 will serve him better...another thing, our DTs were Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly, whose prime objectives were not to keep their MLB clean so he could clean up, as evident in us sucking at run D every year they were our DTs, so I am thinking playing behind a more disciplined DL could also benefit McClain...

Once we cut him, I actually called you guys to pick him up, because I thought it'd be his best place to turn his career around. If he is smart enough to seize the opportunity, then I think you guys will be very happy and have a solid MLB for the next several seasons, if he doesn't he'll be out of the league in 2-3 years and end up yet another 1st round bust....

Peace!
dcarey20

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:
Raider fan here...I was high on RoMc when we first drafted him out of 'Bama. He flashed here and there as a Raider, after awhile though it seemed like he didnt give a damn about football, maybe it was the losing? Although, if I'm a MLB taken 8th overall, I'd be giving it my all to turn my team around, or at least the defense...he seems very immature and entitled as a human being, he's not a leader and I think he needs guys to keep him in check, maybe TSizzle and Haloti can be those guys? I honestly think he has good to great football in him, he just needs to want it...

Also, he thrived in a 3-4 at Ala, as you all know we run a 4-3, and I don't think he has the sideline to
speed to be productive in that D, I think the switch back to a 3-4 will serve him better...another thing, our DTs were Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly, whose prime objectives were not to keep their MLB clean so he could clean up, as evident in us sucking at run D every year they were our DTs, so I am thinking playing behind a more disciplined DL could also benefit McClain...

Once we cut him, I actually called you guys to pick him up, because I thought it'd be his best place to turn his career around. If he is smart enough to seize the opportunity, then I think you guys will be very happy and have a solid MLB for the next several seasons, if he doesn't he'll be out of the league in 2-3 years and end up yet another 1st round bust....

Peace!

Great post I agree with all of that
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:

Also, he thrived in a 3-4 at Ala, as you all know we run a 4-3, and I don't think he has the sideline to sideline speed to be productive in that D, I think the switch back to a 3-4 will serve him better...another thing, our DTs were Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly, whose prime objectives were not to keep their MLB clean so he could clean up, as evident in us sucking at run D every year they were our DTs, so I am thinking playing behind a more disciplined DL could also benefit McClain...

Peace!

I mean, anything is possible...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Farrior

Remaining optimistic.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
91jmay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He isn't as bad off the field as most make out. He had two incidents (the arrest and him being so bad in practise he was suspended) but apart from that he wasn't a constant headache.

His play on the field was far worse than anything off it to be honest, he can't tackle at all. Occasionally delivers a big hit (normally on a slot receiver) but his form is pathetic. His angles are a joke and he washes himself out of the play a lot. He did show some decent ability to blitz, which we didn't do enough of. He struggled in man coverage but played zone pretty well. His speed is the worst part though, might be the slowest LBer I have ever seen.

Given the contract though, its a no brainer for you guys. As I said in NFL Gen, if he succeeds its because you guys are so good at putting players in positions where they can't negatively impact the game.

Allen said he would play the hot hand, in what world is McFadden's hand hot?

He touched Dennis Allen's seat before the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: