Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens nearing deal with Rolando McClain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DreamKid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ro is being underestimated, if we sign him he will start. Barring some sort of off the field incident of course. He is suited best for a 3-4 alignment, he was out of place in the Raider's scheme. While I still think he was a good pick for them at the time, and he played decent while there. He might be a big pickup for us, he has hardcore wrap syndrome though. He never form tackles, it is always a slam tackle or wrap throw. He brings range, edge, and some bite to our D. Unfortunately he also brings mental baggage he needs to deal with, let's hope he lets go of his past.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamKid wrote:
Ro is being underestimated, if we sign him he will start. Barring some sort of off the field incident of course. He is suited best for a 3-4 alignment, he was out of place in the Raider's scheme. While I still think he was a good pick for them at the time, and he played decent while there. He might be a big pickup for us, he has hardcore wrap syndrome though. He never form tackles, it is always a slam tackle or wrap throw. He brings range, edge, and some bite to our D. Unfortunately he also brings mental baggage he needs to deal with, let's hope he lets go of his past.

Yeah, I was going back and looking at his college tape and it was pretty bad. He always played high and never got down low to win the leverage battles or tackle with the proper fundamentals.

I saw a few times where backs would pick up extra yards after his tackles if his Tide teammates didn't rush in and help him push the offender backwards.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ravens nearing deal with Rolando McClain Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/321997123048591360

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens @Ravens

REPORT: LB Rolando McClain says he's going to sign a 1-year deal with the #Ravens

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I guess worth a shot, kinda like Vontaze Burfict.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012

Last edited by BareYourTeeth on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dissonance19

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I was off on him coming out, worth a shot (no pun intended) and if there's an org who can get him in right direction, it's the Ravens.

Reading this report by PFF, he's better than I thought and I felt better about it - especially run stop % and tackling efficiency (when not blocked lol) he'll at least be that thumper in the middle and reliable tackler. Plus, he'll be returning to 3-4. Now, I see those stats in coverage in 2010 here..

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/29/rolando-mcclain-mlb-moving-on/
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One year? Likely to be a paltry sum of money? I don't think there's too much risk there.

I don't know a huge amount about him, other than he was a bust in Oakland and his rap sheet is longer than his list of achievements in the NFL. Now, we know that he openly said he never wanted to go to Oakland, we know they didn't have a defense that suited his strengths. It's entirely possible that a fresh start, closer to home, with a stronger and better run organisation, could be exactly what he needs to become a good player in this league.

If it's not, then he gets cut in training camp and the Ravens move forward with someone else.

The one thing I do worry about is having a potentially disruptive personality in a locker room that is going to be going through it's own metamorphosis this year. A lot of leaders gone, guys will need to step up and figure out where they all stand. Hopefully McClain won't hurt that process.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This would be the second former Raider that the Ravens have added in free agency this offseason, as they recently signed veteran safety Michael Huff to a three-year contract. Huff showed his support of the McClain news on Twitter Wednesday when he retweeted Schefter’s tweet along with the comment, “Love it.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Report-Rolando-McClain-Says-Hes-Signing-1-Year-Deal-With-Ravens/bf6241ea-e5ba-4b58-82e1-081264d132ca

That's a good sign.

Free Ray Rice
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Reclamation project that won't pose much risk but I'm still not a fan here. Terrible football player and terrible human being. I guess if he's going to turn it around anywhere, it would be here, but I'm not going to go into this expecting him to do much of anything for us.

Pretty much. I think people are riding the "but he was the 8th overall pick" hype and reading too much into his actual ability as a football player. He doesn't bring anything more to the table than the Ravens own McClain (Jameel), McClellan, or Bynes. Rolando's deficiencies in coverage are just as obvious as any of those other guys and his tackling technique is pretty bad. As long as he is coming in on a cheap 1-year deal it's no big deal though. I don't think it would change the draft strategy either. Well, hopefully.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised the team hasn't signed Richard Seymour, fits the criteria. Former Raider and top-10 draft pick. Laughing

Probably because he wasn't cut, all about them COMP PICKS!

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
I'm surprised the team hasn't signed Richard Seymour, fits the criteria. Former Raider and top-10 draft pick. Laughing

Probably because he wasn't cut, all about them COMP PICKS!

We give all of our former players to the AFC West, and then they do the same by giving us their former players! It all works out!

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
dcarey20

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Low risk, high reward as others have said.

I also think his play has been underrated by fans in Oakland due to some bad blood and the fact that he hasn't lived up fully to the hype. He could excel here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Quote:
This would be the second former Raider that the Ravens have added in free agency this offseason, as they recently signed veteran safety Michael Huff to a three-year contract. Huff showed his support of the McClain news on Twitter Wednesday when he retweeted Schefter’s tweet along with the comment, “Love it.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Report-Rolando-McClain-Says-Hes-Signing-1-Year-Deal-With-Ravens/bf6241ea-e5ba-4b58-82e1-081264d132ca

That's a good sign.

Agreed. You definitely want a former teammate in your corner. Had he been an outright turd of a teammate or something, you'd expect Huff to not be as supportive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expected this to happen , like everyone has been saying ( LOW RISK, HIGH REWARD signing)

ILB depth as it stands now : A McClellan, J McClain, J Bynes, R McClain

if Rolando McClain pans out ( we'll see after Training Camp) maybe we'll have room for one more ILB ( to be drafted)
mddeckie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official now pending a physical. 1 yr deal according to shelters twitter
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 year, $700,000?

Dirt cheap.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to go after Khaseem Greene or even Te'o. They're decent cover linebackers that would compliment McClain very well.

I think this moves means goodbye to Jameel as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see him released any time now.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: