Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens nearing deal with Rolando McClain
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Ravens nearing deal with Rolando McClain Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/321962185330921473

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4m

Former Raiders LB Rolando McClain is nearing deal with Ravens. Two sides scheduled to talk today to see if they iron out unresolved issues

Not exactly thrilled with the idea of it, but I suppose it's a no risk move. I've said for about a year now, if anybody will get the inside scoop on the guy, it'll be Ozzie with his Alabama connections. I don't think he'll make it out of camp, but at least he can provide some sort of camp body at a position we are relatively thin at.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy must have been pretty decent for a while to be picked 8th overall. We just have to hope we can keep him away from the Law. I cant see it being for a lot of money so im thinking Low risk High reward signing??
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_sayle wrote:
The guy must have been pretty decent for a while to be picked 8th overall. We just have to hope we can keep him away from the Law. I cant see it being for a lot of money so im thinking Low risk High reward signing??

He was very good in college, but not so productive once in the NFL. He was always a better fit in a 3-4 than a 4-3 though. But, off the field, he's had his issues for sure which is why we need to make sure it's filled with incentives.

I'd call it low risk, questionable reward -- could keep him straight but could be garbage, or he could play very well. It'd be mostly up to him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was saying this just the other day. I thought it would be an outside chance after the draft, certainly didn't think they'd pounce on him so quickly. I do agree though its definitely a low risk high reward move for Ozzie. He has everything to lose and he's going to have to work hard if he wants to stay here so maybe it brings out the best in him whereas when he was in Oakland he was the 8th pick and handed the starting spot.
I do hope this doesn't change our draft tactic if minter or brown is sitting there for us. Also there's a similar article on the Baltimore sun website

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-talking-with-rolando-mcclain-about-potential-deal-sources-say-20130410,0,7308091.story?track=rss
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, IDK. Barely ever watch the Raiders. Stats are decent. And I've learned over the years I can't just take a players' previous teams word for it. Looked really good at Bama. So I like it.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if he will turn it around anywhere, here is his best shot. Between Ozzie's Alabama connections and having both Cody and Upshaw on the defense with him, I think there's a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have Dansby, but I guess Ozzie is trying to get the D younger. OK move.

I know Rolando is excited

"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reclamation project that won't pose much risk but I'm still not a fan here. Terrible football player and terrible human being. I guess if he's going to turn it around anywhere, it would be here, but I'm not going to go into this expecting him to do much of anything for us.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Reclamation project that won't pose much risk but I'm still not a fan here. Terrible football player and terrible human being. I guess if he's going to turn it around anywhere, it would be here, but I'm not going to go into this expecting him to do much of anything for us.

Yep, that's my thinking. A camp body who has potential if he can straighten himself out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I think if he will turn it around anywhere, here is his best shot. Between Ozzie's Alabama connections and having both Cody and Upshaw on the defense with him, I think there's a chance.

Not to mention Michael Huff knowing him from his time in Oakland.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pickup. I think if he gets his act together he will be starting for us Week 1.

I think now we really focus on a coverage LB. Either Arthur Brown early or a Jon Bostic/Gerald Hodges later in the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. This signing reminds me of Bryant McKinnie signing. High reward, low risk for a guy who just wasn't a fit on his previous team but we will find ways to maximize his potential and talent.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting facts from looking at stats

In 2010 he led all ILBs in sacks(5.0) and passes defensed(14). 14 passes defensed was the 3rd most by a LB in the last 10 years.

I'm not assuming anything about how good he actually is. But it's interesting.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh... I hadn't actually researched the McClain situation until now.

I don't see much wrong here. Obviously he has issues. When in college hit a student at an intersection- in Alabama.

In the NFL he's convicted of menacing and firing a fire arm- in Alabama. But reading that story just sort of sounded like one of those he said- she said affairs. McClain calls police saying his car's been shot at EARLY in the day. The 'victim' of the assault has McClain firing a gun by his ear. Obviously fighting is bad, but I don't have all of the facts here. Suppose someone was trying to rob McClain, suppose McClain was retaliating... or suppose he didn't actually use the firearm. There are plenty of plausible explanations. One theory could be that McClain is a menace to society and going buck wild against innocent civilians, but for some reason I'm having trouble believing that entirely to be the case. More likely, I think its something in the middle. I'm thinking, McClain could potentially have envisioned that he was engaging in self defense for being wronged earlier, potentially by the same group of characters. In such a situation, I could certainly understand his actions... though still bad, isn't quite the same level of poor character as the worse case scenario.

Then lastly, he gets pulled over for dark tints- in Alabama- and instead of presenting paperwork saying he's allowed to drive with dark tints, he cleverly signs his name as being an obscenity that the cops didn't appreciate.

All in all, I see plenty of poor judgment, but I've heard of much worse situations, athletes being much worse. And I also see a trend of an athlete who should stay FAR away from Alabama.

The above said, after looking at his Alabama tape, I'm trying to figure out why he went so high. When a player is supposed to be out of our range I usually don't take too many looks at them, McClain's tape wasn't very impressive. I thought he shed blocks well, but he played too high. He tackled high also. His athleticism looked above average, but nothing special.

Oh well. Assuming McClain and his baggage isn't the FA that we overpay for than I'm solid on this deal. He's definitely a thumper type though, so our ILB need for a more coverage oriented ILB should still be key during draft day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

He's shown flashes of being the first round pick he was.

He's young (only 23!) but an idiot. Would have been nice if he had a year under Ray's wing but Suggs should do a serviceable job making sure he doesn't do anything stupid in Baltimore.

I'm excited bout this move , the draft, and the upcoming season!

Maybe this means we can have freedom to move up or down if we want to.
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: