Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A new Mr. Carter?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chuck44


Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Posts: 1358
Location: ohio
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
chuck44 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Carter would not even be mentioned as a potential draft prospect if not for his dad.


Agreed...be worth a FA look though


Why? Because he is Carter's son. I dont see what there would be worth looking at, compared to any other WR prospect not drafted. Id rather not go after players for reasons as this.


Yes and No...We bring in undrafted FA all the Time for looks..you are punishing him BECAUSE he is CC 's son...Like I mention I am involved in Fundraising events With OSU and speak with coaches all the time and have seen him in practice and spring game...one coach Told me the kid has alot of talent but his head is messed up...HE figures the name will get him a shot.. so yeah i bring him in for a look ....as a favor to CC ...who this teams owes alot to and because the kid does have talent...built just like his dad 6 3 210 a little faster....

Watched the kid in practice pluck balls out of the air like daddy...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KeystoneViking


Joined: 27 Oct 2012
Posts: 129
Location: North Dakota
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is simply unintelligent, not a headcase. A headcase is used to describe a crazy person. If he struggled with drugs, alcohol, or was constantly in trouble with the law you could call him a headcase; but, judging from the above posts, he struggled with academics...

Anyway, the fact that he was both a top high school recruit and then a top JUCO recruit (same school as Quinton Patton, I beleive) leads me to beleive that he has some ability.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47776
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
chuck44 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Carter would not even be mentioned as a potential draft prospect if not for his dad.


Agreed...be worth a FA look though


Why? Because he is Carter's son. I dont see what there would be worth looking at, compared to any other WR prospect not drafted. Id rather not go after players for reasons as this.


Yes and No...We bring in undrafted FA all the Time for looks..you are punishing him BECAUSE he is CC 's son...Like I mention I am involved in Fundraising events With OSU and speak with coaches all the time and have seen him in practice and spring game...one coach Told me the kid has alot of talent but his head is messed up...HE figures the name will get him a shot.. so yeah i bring him in for a look ....as a favor to CC ...who this teams owes alot to and because the kid does have talent...built just like his dad 6 3 210 a little faster....

Watched the kid in practice pluck balls out of the air like daddy...


I am not punishing him for being Carter's son. I am saying that he shouldnt get anymore of an opportunity than any other free agent WR just because he is carter's son. big difference.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73313
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone seems to agree his head is "messed up."

if that's the case, then why show the interest?
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wcblack34


Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Posts: 5861
Location: Anywhere but Wisconsin.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
everyone seems to agree his head is "messed up."

if that's the case, then why show the interest?


I don't agree that his head is "messed up". His problems seem to be with academics. He appears to not be book-smart, but that doesn't mean he isn't, or can't be, a good football player. Plenty of Wonderlic Waivers that have made it in the NFL where there are no requirements to keep your grades up. There is a major difference between being dumb and being a screw-up. If a team feels that he simply couldn't get it done on a calculus exam, but could get it done on Sundays, he would be worth a look in Training Camp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 24363
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
everyone seems to agree his head is "messed up."

if that's the case, then why show the interest?

Physical talent.

Cris was a bit "messed up" when he came out too no?

(Obviously not comparing the two, but there are examples of players overcoming off the field crap to make things work.)
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
[UMN]


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 13303
Location: Desolation Row
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If his name wasn't Carter he wouldn't even sniff the NFL. pass.
_________________
From the fool’s gold mouthpiece the hollow horn,
Plays wasted words, proves to warn,
That he not busy being born is busy dying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViKingHopeful


Joined: 20 Sep 2010
Posts: 390
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the harm bringing him in as a UFA, and I won't be surprised if we do.

The kids clearly got some talent, getting picked up by 2 powerhouse programs in OSU and Alabama.

These are the kind of guys undrafted free agency is for. Zero risk in bringing him in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chuck44


Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Posts: 1358
Location: ohio
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViKingHopeful wrote:
I don't see the harm bringing him in as a UFA, and I won't be surprised if we do.

The kids clearly got some talent, getting picked up by 2 powerhouse programs in OSU and Alabama.

These are the kind of guys undrafted free agency is for. Zero risk in bringing him in.


Exactly...we have brought in guys like Todd Lowber...just cause he had speed..people are bashing him because he is CC's son....so what!!! just as in life.. its who you know... not what you know..

We have no committment to him...... he comes to practice and competes...if he impresses... you stash him on the practice squad a few years and see what happens ...if not you cut him like everyone else

Just saying flat out no ...makes no sense....guarantee who has a better chance then Todd Lowber to make the team
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47776
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
ViKingHopeful wrote:
I don't see the harm bringing him in as a UFA, and I won't be surprised if we do.

The kids clearly got some talent, getting picked up by 2 powerhouse programs in OSU and Alabama.

These are the kind of guys undrafted free agency is for. Zero risk in bringing him in.


Exactly...we have brought in guys like Todd Lowber...just cause he had speed..people are bashing him because he is CC's son....so what!!! just as in life.. its who you know... not what you know..

We have no committment to him...... he comes to practice and competes...if he impresses... you stash him on the practice squad a few years and see what happens ...if not you cut him like everyone else

Just saying flat out no ...makes no sense....guarantee who has a better chance then Todd Lowber to make the team


Nothing wrong with giving him a shot, but I am curious to why he should get that opportunity over more polished receivers who will ultimately go undrafted.

What I am getting at, are his opportunities becoming because of who he knows or does he actually deserve those opportunities. Does he have more talent, equal talent and production as all the other undrafted WRs who will get a chance. If he truly is, why not give him a shot. But I wouldnt give him a shot simply because he is Cris Carter's son, if that means passing up more productive, less risky, and maybe just as talented prospects.

Just because one has connections doesnt mean they are the best person for the job. Let the evaluation process take its course, if Carter's skills and potential warrant a spot, then i cant see a reason to be against it.

Joe Montana's son is in the same position, and he is a very bad QB. He will be on someone's camp roster because of who he knows. Just the way it is, and id hate to lose out on another prospect simply because of the draw of adding the son of a legendary player.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73313
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
people are bashing him because he is CC's son.

i don't see that being the case at all.

nor should it be a handicap to him anyway, everyone here admires Cris Carter.



vikingsrule wrote:
Joe Montana's son is in the same position, and he is a very bad QB.

very much so. couldn't even make first string at the Univ of Montana which, other than Dave Dickinson (a CFL great), has never produced a top level QB.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViKingHopeful


Joined: 20 Sep 2010
Posts: 390
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Nothing wrong with giving him a shot, but I am curious to why he should get that opportunity over more polished receivers who will ultimately go undrafted.

What I am getting at, are his opportunities becoming because of who he knows or does he actually deserve those opportunities. Does he have more talent, equal talent and production as all the other undrafted WRs who will get a chance. If he truly is, why not give him a shot. But I wouldnt give him a shot simply because he is Cris Carter's son, if that means passing up more productive, less risky, and maybe just as talented prospects.


Most guys who go undrafted have their reasons for being in that position. I'm not a fan of spending valuable draft picks on players with as serious of question marks as Duron has, but that's what UFA is for. Receivers that are more polished than Duron, AND lack those question marks, probably won't go undrafted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47776
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViKingHopeful wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Nothing wrong with giving him a shot, but I am curious to why he should get that opportunity over more polished receivers who will ultimately go undrafted.

What I am getting at, are his opportunities becoming because of who he knows or does he actually deserve those opportunities. Does he have more talent, equal talent and production as all the other undrafted WRs who will get a chance. If he truly is, why not give him a shot. But I wouldnt give him a shot simply because he is Cris Carter's son, if that means passing up more productive, less risky, and maybe just as talented prospects.


Most guys who go undrafted have their reasons for being in that position. I'm not a fan of spending valuable draft picks on players with as serious of question marks as Duron has, but that's what UFA is for. Receivers that are more polished than Duron, AND lack those question marks, probably won't go undrafted.


You might be surprised. think about how many WRs there are in college football and how many can say they had a more productive career than Carter. What is it about Carter that makes him so talented? Does he have incredible speed, agility, great route runner? I know little about him as a football player except for his background. I just dont see what makes him such a talented prospect, despite there being dozens of WRs who wont be drafted that are probably equally talented, more productive and less of a personality risk.

Sure he was good enough to go to Ohio State, but I ask, how much is that due to ability and talent vs his connection.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViKingHopeful


Joined: 20 Sep 2010
Posts: 390
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
ViKingHopeful wrote:
Most guys who go undrafted have their reasons for being in that position. I'm not a fan of spending valuable draft picks on players with as serious of question marks as Duron has, but that's what UFA is for. Receivers that are more polished than Duron, AND lack those question marks, probably won't go undrafted.


You might be surprised. think about how many WRs there are in college football and how many can say they had a more productive career than Carter. What is it about Carter that makes him so talented? Does he have incredible speed, agility, great route runner? I know little about him as a football player except for his background. I just dont see what makes him such a talented prospect, despite there being dozens of WRs who wont be drafted that are probably equally talented, more productive and less of a personality risk.

Sure he was good enough to go to Ohio State, but I ask, how much is that due to ability and talent vs his connection.


I know nothing about Carter as a football player other than what I've read on this page. I just think it's kind of funny that people aren't willing to give him a chance because he couldn't make grades in college. As far as I know, there is no limit to the amount of guys we can bring in as UFAs? I just don't see the harm in giving this guy a shot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47776
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No harm at all, i agree. But there will be a lot of former college players starving for a chance, you just have to hope they choose Carter over another player for the professional reason and not for the sentimental one.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group